pacific salmon and steelhead

chinook

salmon species  

4 members have voted

1. 1. if you have been fishing for salmon which species have you caught?

• king (chinook)
    • silver (coho)
    • chum
    • sockeye
    • steelhead (sea run rainbow trout)
    • pink
    • combination of the above
  2. 2. what states have you fished for the above?

• oregon
    • washington
    • alaska
    • great lakes region (i know it isn't a state)
    • combination

just curious and bored for a saturday morning.

if you have fished for any of the above and would like to share a story feel free to do so.

if you have never fished for the above then i suggest you do it @ least once in your life (if you like fishing).

the great lakes have planted pacific species.

I caught a King Salmon about 9 or 10 years ago in Washington. My step-dad has family out there and his uncle was a fisherman by trade. After we caught Salmon we picked up all his shrimp and crab baskets and headed in. he cooked the shrimp and crab right at the dock. It was awesome. We later smoked the salmon. Best fishing trip ever.

• 2 weeks later...

not many salmon fishermen here on this board.

thanks for sharing mdm4au. crab caught and cooked onsite is incredibly good eating.

what about you, loggerhead?

anyway. i try to salmon and stealhead fish @ least a 12 times a year. the closest river is only 12 miles away but work and kids hinder my time. as the kids get old enough they will hit the rivers and bays for fishing and crabing.

For some reason I just saw this thread tonight.

I lived in Juneau, Alaska for three years and caught king, silver, chum and sockeye. We also fished out of Kodiak, Homer, Sitka and Ketchikan.

One of my uncles lived in Eugene, Oregon and I have also fished there and in Washington. The first rainbow and brown trout I ever caught was out of the McKenzie River. My uncle's in-laws had a large ranch (don't ask me where) and we went out there and fished several streams or rivers crossing his land. My dad says we also fished the Willamette River several times.

We also camped and fished at the Oregon Dunes several times.

But I caught more and larger fish in Alaska.

Archived