JUCO QB commits

BGoodTiger

This was basically a lock.

It will be interesting to see what happens regarding the QBs this summer. I'd expect one of Field/Caudle to probably transfer this summer.

Blake Field, I think, would be the Odd Man out...since he's the Senior, and these kids coming in along with the kids we already have at that position that've played in the Spread Offense. Todd might be the Real Deal.

From what I read about his JC year is that it was not the spread system... He apparently ran the TF system in high school... His high school coach is now the coach at Pelham High School.

I've seen a few of Pelham's games and it is a fun system.

We have 3 QBs committed. Do you guys think we might see one of them change before its over? I hate to see it happen, but it might. If it does happen, I guess it opens the door for another scholarship for someone at another position.

We have 3 QBs committed. Do you guys think we might see one of them change before its over? I hate to see it happen, but it might. If it does happen, I guess it opens the door for another scholarship for someone at another position.

i don't know but after watching deron furr play i find it hard to believe that he would play qb at this level. The kid is mad athletic but i just don't see him playing qb.

Did the kid originally sign with Texas Tech before going to JC?

Yeah. He signed with TT in '05 and Redshirted. He then played in 5 games of '06 going 25-35 241 yds and one TD, 71% completion. Then he became ineligible and went to JC in Kansas. I think he has three years to play two.

Yeah. He signed with TT in '05 and Redshirted. He then played in 5 games of '06 going 25-35 241 yds and one TD, 71% completion. Then he became ineligible and went to JC in Kansas. I think he has three years to play two.

Thanks for the update. But if he already redshirted, he would have two years to play two. Correct?

Thanks for the update. But if he already redshirted, he would have two years to play two. Correct?

Think so.

He has 2 years to play 2.

The Texas Tech people liked him, a Texas Tech fan told me this today: "Yall should start him. Kid has a cannon and is pretty damn good... A lot of people wanted him to play over Harrell."

He had offers from Oklahoma and South Carolina coming out of HS as well.

I dont see his commitment affecting either of the two current QB commits because both were guaranteed to redshirt next year, and seeing as how Todd only has two years of eligibility he really wont affect either of them. This will affect Field/Caudle the most, personally I'd hope that Field is the one to leave (not saying that in a "mean" way) but I have heard rumors about Caudle possibly leaving. Who knows, both could realistically be gone.

And this isn't going to affect Kodi Burns at all?

IMO, Kodi did not enjoy being used as a running QB this season. Call it "not knowing the playbook and he is a freshman" or whatever you want to call it.

Now maybe this new system is right up Kodi's alley. But would he want to stay if he is going to be the backup until his senior year? Is this a DJ Shockley kind of situation? If this JUCO transfer is as good as he thinks he is and as much as other people think he is, IMO he or Kodi will transfer elsewhere. If Kodi wins the starting role, why would he waste his two years at Auburn? If he were to win the starting the role, why would Kodi want to stay the backup?

IMO, Kodi did not enjoy being used as a running QB this season. Call it "not knowing the playbook and he is a freshman" or whatever you want to call it.

Now maybe this new system is right up Kodi's alley. But would he want to stay if he is going to be the backup until his senior year? Is this a DJ Shockley kind of situation? If this JUCO transfer is as good as he thinks he is and as much as other people think he is, IMO he or Kodi will transfer elsewhere. If Kodi wins the starting role, why would he waste his two years at Auburn? If he were to win the starting the role, why would Kodi want to stay the backup?

you're right we shouldn't take this kid because competition is very unhealthy. lets just find a qb that we like on paper and be stuck with him for three years. chill out chicken little.

you're right we shouldn't take this kid because competition is very unhealthy. lets just find a qb that we like on paper and be stuck with him for three years. chill out chicken little.

Yea, I know I stated over and over again how we shouldn't take the kid... geez louiz calm down and learn how to READ. Did I ever say we shouldn't take the kid? Dumb...

Everyone was talking about Neil Caudle and Blake Field. If you haven't realized by now, neither of them were going to get serious playing time at Auburn, ever. Unless everyone above them got injured. Yikes... nobody mentioned the competition or how this could affect Kodi Burns. So I'm the first to bring it up. I didn't know that was a sin

I wonder how the coached feel about red shirting Burns next year? I wonder how he would feel about that. He could learn a new offense without any pressure...not sure he would want to do that though.

Does anyone else think this may be a possiblilty?

Darn it. You have jumped into the middle of pchump asshattery.

I wonder how the coached feel about red shirting Burns next year? I wonder how he would feel about that. He could learn a new offense without any pressure...not sure he would want to do that though.

Unless he gets hurt and HAS to redshirt, he wont be redshirted.

Yea, I know I stated over and over again how we shouldn't take the kid... geez louiz calm down and learn how to READ. Did I ever say we shouldn't take the kid? Dumb...

Everyone was talking about Neil Caudle and Blake Field. If you haven't realized by now, neither of them were going to get serious playing time at Auburn, ever. Unless everyone above them got injured. Yikes... nobody mentioned the competition or how this could affect Kodi Burns. So I'm the first to bring it up. I didn't know that was a sin

Think of Todd as our 08' QB insurance policy. He knows CTF's offense inside out and we'll be able to step right in if needed. It'll be like having another offensive coach on the field.....

I don't think we'll see CTF sticking to one QB all the time like Borges did. This offense seems to be the kind where you may need to have at least two guys ready to go at all times. Look at what happened to WVU and Oregon state when White and Dixon went down with injuries. It seems to me that the QBs in this system will take A LOT more pounding than in Borges system. CTT has sort of alluded to this already, saying that we can't expect a guy to take 99% of the snaps in this system. It may get to a situation where they switch QBs like they do at every other position. I'm not sure I like that, but if it is successful and they are able to keep a few top quality QBs on the roster and happy with their PT, that may be the way to go.

To my understanding, Burns already knows the offense. It's the same one he ran in high school (ditto for half the kids in the Southeast, which is why this hire is such a recruiting coup)

To my understanding, Burns already knows the offense. It's the same one he ran in high school (ditto for half the kids in the Southeast, which is why this hire is such a recruiting coup)

Burns did run a spread offense in HS, but it wasn't exactly the same as the one Franklin teaches. The "thing" with Todd is that he has played in FRANKLIN's offense his entire HS career. Franklin taught his offense to Todd's high school.

I think we'll see Burns, Field, and Todd rotate in and out at time next year, with alot of emphasis on Burns. Field ran the same offense as well, so he's familiar with it as well. Right now, he's a better passer, and I think the coaches will take notice of it, using him in a somewhat limited role. But I could definitely see Todd and Burns regularly switching up with each other.

I have to confess, I'm not sure I'd like to see that. But I guess I'll reserve my judgements for the first scrimmages. We have no idea what they're going to do anyway.

Quick question: How many QBs will we have on the roster next season? Three returning from this seasons roster, and three on the current committment list.

Blake Field (senior, likely back-up?)

Neil Caudle (sophmore, likely back-up?)

Kodi Burns (sophmore, potential starter?)

Chris Todd (junior, potential starter?)

DeRon Furr (likely redshirt?)

Barrott Trotter (likely redshirt?)

Coach Ensminger's kid (not listed on roster anymore?)

That's a whole lotta scholly's! Do we expect any position changes or transfers (gasp, maybe a scholly yanked) becasue of the new OC change? Just curious (and excited) on how we may get to our new starter for next season.

Archived