Article on ESPN about SEC and Ohio State

Shire5k

Link

We need border patrols along Interstate 10, from Jacksonville to Pensacola. A Coast Guard blockade at Biscayne Bay. And the FAA should redirect all inbound flights to South Florida from Ohio.

If you see a silver helmet and a sweater vest coming, contact authorities.

Because next year's BCS National Championship Game will be played in Miami, and the Ohio State Buckeyes aren't invited. Especially if the Southeastern Conference champion is invited.

Quote of the article for me. Hilarious.

I think the best quote of the night was by Jimmy Johnson saying that the "SEC is a superior conference" and getting donw by 10 points is not a big deal and all good SEC teams could overcome the points

Get ready for a USC/OSU matchup next year. Both are returning a good bit of talent and should walk through their respective conferences.

You are sort of correct. We should get ready because it will happen. But in the regular season as they play the 3rd week of the season I believe. They will not meet each other in Miami, unless something even weirder than this past season occurs.

Just think how bad it would be had we been allowed to play in the championship game in 2004. I'll bet the other conferences are tired of seeing SEC champs. They'll probably make a rule than SEC teams cannot play three years in a row.

Here's the thing. Had Auburn not been hosed in 2004, that would have meant four SEC teams in the past five national championship games. I think USC would have beat us in 3 out of 5 games, but it's still an interesting point.

Here's the thing. Had Auburn not been hosed in 2004, that would have meant four SEC teams in the past five national championship games. I think USC would have beat us in 3 out of 5 games, but it's still an interesting point.

Still shocks me to believe so many people think USC was better than us that year. And I am the one that is clearly all about being unbiased and not an AU homer when it comes to matching teams down.

I watched each and every play of all 13 games in person that season. There is not a doubt in my mind that Auburn would defeat USC. People questioned Auburn going into the LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia games that year. Auburn wins. Auburn had so much senior leadership on that team - those boys could not be stopped. Not by USC on their best day IMO.

Don't forget - Auburn had ONE game come to the wire that year with LSU and they were pretty dang good and defending champs. Bama - struggled for a half. Ole Miss - took until the 2nd quarter and won 35-0. SEC Championship - Tennessee made a game of it in the 3rd quarter and Auburn won by 10, only to take a knee near the goal line at the end of the game. But that was it. USC struggled with Stanford, California, and Oregon State before the worst officiating ever in that travesty to UCLA. YUCK! USC was not even close to invincible. Auburn won by double digits in all but the LSU and Bama games (and Bama scored late). Had 4 Top 10 wins.... FOUR.... Five with Virginia Tech. USC had... Choklahoma in their game, but in the regular season - VT and I suppose Cal. Other than that - please. And the more we see Choklahoma blow it every year, the more it should make people realize that they aren't any good and USC was not some superior team that day.

Numbers don't lie - USC never had a 13 point lead on VT. USC was a good team, but no doubt in my mind Auburn was the greatest team that year. If it wasn't for USC winning the title, we'd hear about how Auburn was perhaps one of the greatest teams of all time. Because that is exactly what they are. One of the greatest ever. USC my ass.

Still shocks me to believe so many people think USC was better than us that year. And I am the one that is clearly all about being unbiased and not an AU homer when it comes to matching teams down.

I watched each and every play of all 13 games in person that season. There is not a doubt in my mind that Auburn would defeat USC. People questioned Auburn going into the LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia games that year. Auburn wins. Auburn had so much senior leadership on that team - those boys could not be stopped. Not by USC on their best day IMO.

Maybe. Maybe not. That's why they play the game.

However, as an aside to this thread, Florida and LSU should send bouquets to Auburn's athletic department for their NCAA championships. Because after the 2004 BCS debacle, voters thing long and hard before leaving a deserving SEC team out in the cold again.

USC had... Choklahoma in their game, but in the regular season - VT and I suppose Cal. Other than that - please. And the more we see Choklahoma blow it every year, the more it should make people realize that they aren't any good and USC was not some superior team that day.

Don't forget... VT had USC beat until the refs intervened.

Get ready for a USC/OSU matchup next year. Both are returning a good bit of talent and should walk through their respective conferences.

Yes, they will...the second week of the season when they play each other. OSU will not be in the MNC game next year.

If we don't beat WVU that same weekend, WVU will be playing in the MNC.

Don't forget - Auburn had ONE game come to the wire that year with LSU and they were pretty dang good and defending champs. Bama - struggled for a half. Ole Miss - took until the 2nd quarter and won 35-0. SEC Championship - Tennessee made a game of it in the 3rd quarter and Auburn won by 10, only to take a knee near the goal line at the end of the game. But that was it. USC struggled with Stanford, California, and Oregon State before the worst officiating ever in that travesty to UCLA. YUCK! USC was not even close to invincible. Auburn won by double digits in all but the LSU and Bama games (and Bama scored late). Had 4 Top 10 wins.... FOUR.... Five with Virginia Tech. USC had... Choklahoma in their game, but in the regular season - VT and I suppose Cal. Other than that - please. And the more we see Choklahoma blow it every year, the more it should make people realize that they aren't any good and USC was not some superior team that day.

Numbers don't lie - USC never had a 13 point lead on VT. USC was a good team, but no doubt in my mind Auburn was the greatest team that year. If it wasn't for USC winning the title, we'd hear about how Auburn was perhaps one of the greatest teams of all time. Because that is exactly what they are. One of the greatest ever. USC my ass.

Even when you don't compare regular seasons, there's no doubt in my mind that we would have beaten USC.

We had fast linebackers that could cover the USC tight ends.

We had a dominant run defense, anchored by Jay Ratliff, Brett Eddins, and TJ Jackson.

We could rush the passer with backups Stanley McClover and Quentin Groves. Didn't they have 9 sacks a piece that year? THEY WERE BACKUPS.

We had the Jim Thorpe award winner and excellent college strong safety Junior Rosegreen.

We had three 1st round draft picks on offense.

We had who might be the best tackle in the NFL on the offensive line.

We had a reliable kicker and an outstanding punter.

That team was 100% at every position. USC would have had to work for their yards. Bush and White wouldn't have gotten past the line of scrimmage so easily. Leinart wouldn't have had all day to throw with Groves and McClover coming in on third downs. USC's defense was great, but Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown were unstoppable that year. We would have controlled the clock and won the kicking game.

This is a silly discussion to get into so far into the future, but it still gets me fired up.

Agreed and agreed! Post of the day, IMO. I've said this all along. We could not be stopped that year, even by a bunch of Trojans.

Even when you don't compare regular seasons, there's no doubt in my mind that we would have beaten USC.

We had fast linebackers that could cover the USC tight ends.

We had a dominant run defense, anchored by Jay Ratliff, Brett Eddins, and TJ Jackson.

We could rush the passer with backups Stanley McClover and Quentin Groves. Didn't they have 9 sacks a piece that year? THEY WERE BACKUPS.

We had the Jim Thorpe award winner and excellent college strong safety Junior Rosegreen.

We had three 1st round draft picks on offense.

We had who might be the best tackle in the NFL on the offensive line.

We had a reliable kicker and an outstanding punter.

That team was 100% at every position. USC would have had to work for their yards. Bush and White wouldn't have gotten past the line of scrimmage so easily. Leinart wouldn't have had all day to throw with Groves and McClover coming in on third downs. USC's defense was great, but Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown were unstoppable that year. We would have controlled the clock and won the kicking game.

This is a silly discussion to get into so far into the future, but it still gets me fired up.

Just to play devil's advocate....

We had essentially the same exact team in '03...when USC shut us out.

Same team, not the same coaches. Borges was the difference between 2003 and 2004.

Fair point, but we were a very different team. In 2003, we lost five games. In 2004, we lost none. Aside from USC, we had a few other common opponents:

LSU: Beat us 31-7 in 2003, we beat them 10-9 in 2004 (Point difference = 31)

Ole Miss: Beat us 24-20 in 2003, we beat them 35-14 in 2004 (Point difference = 25)

Georgia: beat us 26-7 in 2003, we beat 24-6 in 2004. (Point difference = 37)

(Point difference is the number of points we lost by in 2003 plus the number we won by in 2004, as a rough measure of improvement between those two seasons)

Same team, not the same coaches. Borges was the difference between 2003 and 2004.

I agree. I was simply making a point about the "100% at every position" comment.

Archived