Sign and Place

jw 4 au

I read a lot of discussion on here about the validity of signing and placing a prospect in JUCO or Prep schools. Who really cares about how they get here (or about them counting twice in recruiting rankings), just as long as they come to Auburn, become good Auburn men, play to the best of their ability and hopefully have a great education and career. The question I wanted to ask here is who are some of our most notable sign and place recruits from years past to squash this notion that it is a waste of time to sign and place some of these guys? That would leave out guys we get from JUCO or Prep that we did not actually have a hand in placing after their senior year of high school.

Most recently, I can see Enrique Davis being one if he accepts his scholarship offer to Auburn. I also remember in the past Brandon Jacobs committed to come to Auburn because we were "always there for him" even after he didn't qualify initially (not sure if he was our sign and place or not).

Who else are notable sign and place players from years past?

Karlos Dansby is the first one that comes to mind, along with Jacobs.

David Irons was a S&P. I was thinking that Stanley McClover was also, but I may be wrong.

Carlos Rogers, not Karlos Dansby. Dansby came straight to Auburn, Rogers went to prep school first. Anthony Mix and Chris Slaughter started out as sign and place guys. DE Chris Browder was a UAT sign and place that signed with Auburn after JUCO.

I'm sure there must be more, but they aren't coming to mind right now. I do think the percentage of the sign and place guys that work out is very low. On the other hand, they don't cost a scholarship so they are a cheap gamble if they do pan out and eventually sign with the school that placed them.

As far as their messing up recruiting rankings goes, of course they do but who cares? Recruiting ranking is a joke anyway.

Prechae Rodriguez was a sign and place out of HS, it was just one of the ones that went un-announced. We sign and place guys every year who are never announced on Rivals/Scout...although these past two or so classes (including this one) have had pretty much all of the sign and place guys actually listed.

Deas and Gray in the current class? Also E. Davis if he comes?

these guys have the talent and hype but until they step on the field and prove themselves, i hold reservation of being notable.

Were Rudi and Cobb sign and place? I didnt know if we placed them in coffeville or if we just recruited them after they did well their.

Cobb started out at UGA and tranferred when David Greene came along. He was a full qualifier (and very highly rated) coming out of high school. Tubs found Rudi on a recruiting trip to see Daniel.

The reason we don't have much of a track record of sign and place is that we haven't actually been doing it long. In the past, a team could accept "partial qualifiers". That is what McClover and Dansby did. They could enroll in school and work out with the team, but they couldn't play until they got their grades worked out. I think the NCAA did away with that a few years ago.

Archived