LSU opening the 2008 season with....

kickerman97

Appalachian State

Better watch out, LSU. Appalachian State is coming to town.

The Mountaineers, who kicked off last year's wacky college football season with a stunning win at Michigan, will get an even tougher assignment next season when they open against the defending national champion Tigers.

Of course, Appalachian State knows plenty about winning national championships. The Mountaineers enter next season as the three-time defending champs in Division I's Football Championship Subdivision.

LSU won the Bowl Championship Series title by beating Ohio State last season. Appalachian State won its record third straight title in what used to be called Division I-AA by beating Delaware.

Appalachian State and LSU were scheduled to play in 2009, but the game was moved up a year to accommodate an opening in the Tigers' schedule. The teams will now not play in 2009.

LSU beat Appalachian State 24-0 during the 2005 season.

The Mountaineers pulled off one of college football's biggest upsets when they beat then-No. 5 Michigan at the Big House 34-32. Appalachian State safety Corey Lynch blocked the Wolverines' game-winning field goal attempt on the final play.

The victory set off a wild scene at the school's Boone, N.C. campus and thrust the Mountaineers into the national spotlight for months. Behind speedy quarterback Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State recovered from two regular-season losses to win three home playoff games before routing Delaware 49-21 in the title game.

The Mountaineers' success has led several top teams to shy away from playing them and coaches have been scrambling to fill openings on the 2008 schedule. Appalachian will visit James Madison and host Jacksonville and Presbyterian before beginning Southern Conference play.

The Mountaineers do have future games scheduled at Florida (2010), Virginia Tech (2011) and Georgia (2013).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3237993

I thought this was interesting. Sorry, if it has been posted. :)

App State won't sneak up on the Bengal Tigers after beating Coach Miles' alma mater last year. But, Armanti Edwards is a real threat at QB. He may be hard to contain.

Apparently this happened because Texas Tech bailed out on LSWho. I seem to remember some LSWho fans giving us a hard time in 2004 when Bowling Green bailed out on us a few months before the season and we got D-1AA The Citadel to sub in for them.

Apparently this happened because Texas Tech bailed out on LSWho. I seem to remember some LSWho fans giving us a hard time in 2004 when Bowling Green bailed out on us a few months before the season and we got D-1AA The Citadel to sub in for them.

I'm not so sure LSU is going to have to worry about being in our 04 situation next year though. I'm thinking they'll lose at least 3 in the regular season.

The numbers show it, every BCS champion from the SEC has had at least 3 losses the following year. Appy State will give LSU all they want but LSU should win. What is with Texas Tech, they have pulled out of a game with Auburn before, won't they play any SEC teams not named Ole Miss?

The numbers show it, every BCS champion from the SEC has had at least 3 losses the following year. Appy State will give LSU all they want but LSU should win. What is with Texas Tech, they have pulled out of a game with Auburn before, won't they play any SEC teams not named Ole Miss?

If RP doesn't play AND they start that RS Freshman....you never know

LSU is replacing a LOT on D and will have a new DC

It could be interesting

Archived