Buffoon Fights To Remain Relevant...

otterinbham

Looks like Rush isn't quite the kingmaker he set himself up to be. Fun to watch him crawl to the McCain camp.

Limbaugh: I'm McCain's 'most valuable asset'

Posted: 05:10 PM ET

Limbaugh has been highly critical of McCain, but on Tuesday the talk show host said he is actually doing the Arizona senator a favor.

(CNN) — He's aggressively targeted John McCain ever since the Arizona senator began his meteoric rise in the polls, but conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday he may actually be the Arizona senator's "most valuable asset."

Commenting on the mainstream media's fixation with his feelings about McCain, Limbaugh said there may be more to his criticisms than meets the eye.

"If I really wanted to torpedo McCain, I would endorse him," Limbaugh said on his radio show. "Because that would send the independents and liberals who are going to vote for him running away faster than anything."

"What people don't realize is that I am doing McCain the biggest favor that can be done for him by staying out of this," he continued. "If I endorsed him thoroughly and with passion, that would end the independents and moderates, because they so despise me and they so hate me."

Limbaugh, along with several other prominent conservative radio hosts, have long spoken out against the Arizona senator over his stances on a range of issues and his history of working with Democrats on issues such as immigration and campaign finance reform.

Limbaugh's attacks in particular got so heated that former Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole wrote the talk-show host last week defending McCain — calling him a "mainstream conservative" who supported the party on critical votes during Dole's time as the Senate Republican leader."

Limbaugh later said of the letter that McCain was "manipulating" Dole.

Yet despite the fiery rhetoric, Limbaugh on Monday suggested members of the media weren't digging deep enough into his comments.

"Couldn't it be said, if somebody wanted to…that I am secretly supporting McCain, because I secretly do want him to win, but I know full well that if I come out and endorse him, he's cooked?" Limbaugh asked. "Who may be in this whole kit and caboodle, this who shebang, the most valuable asset McCain has?"

"Me."

Rush has made his comments about McCain clear for all to see. And he's right. He reiterated those views again and again. Conservatives won't compromise. End of story.

Conservatives won't compromise.

He's going to be their nominee.

Sounds like they've compromised something to me...

Think what you want.

Fortunately for you, there is no "thinking" involved here.

John McCain will be the Republican nominee and conservatives will overwhelmingly vote for him. I know that.

John McCain will be the Republican nominee and conservatives will overwhelmingly vote for him. I know that.

I don't get their adulation for Huckabee, given how he was such a statist in Arkansas. If he had secured the Republican nomination, it would be a rout of historic proportions in the general election.

I don't get their adulation for Huckabee, given how he was such a statist in Arkansas. If he had secured the Republican nomination, it would be a rout of historic proportions in the general election.

It is going to be a rout anyway. My fear is a filibuster proof Senate.

As usual , Rush gives himself FAR too much credit. I don't care enough about him to hate or despise him. I stopped taking him seriously years ago. He is the political equivalent of WWF. A lot of lights and noise, not much else.

I don't think so. The intrinsic drama of Obama, with apologies to his supporters on this board, is that he is overthrowing the stranglehold that Clinton and Company have had on the Democratic Power structure. It is the equivalent of Appalachian State taking Michigan. The fact that he is a minority candidate and is a powerful public speaker in his own right is a bonus. How can you not like the guy?

That being said, the Democratic Party seems to always pull to the left during primary time (Bill Clinton being the notable exception). Obama is an unapologetic liberal with no administrative experience beyond his senatorial staff. During the primaries, people will vote for somebody with those characteristics. During the general election, however, the nation has a pronounced tendency to move to the center and, when in doubt, move to the right.

To be honest, McCain distancing himself from the paleoconservative wing of the party to occupy the political center is probably a good thing. Bush is a conservative in name only, but has shredded the movement's credibility in the past eight years through his profligate spending. That's why candidates such as Romney and Huckabee don't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting elected. A smart politico will identify Obama with the worst excesses of the welfare state in the 60s and 70s and help people remember why they stopped voting Democratic in the first place.

I don't think so. The intrinsic drama of Obama, with apologies to his supporters on this board, is that he is overthrowing the stranglehold that Clinton and Company have had on the Democratic Power structure. It is the equivalent of Appalachian State taking Michigan. The fact that he is a minority candidate and is a powerful public speaker in his own right is a bonus. How can you not like the guy?

That being said, the Democratic Party seems to always pull to the left during primary time (Bill Clinton being the notable exception). Obama is an unapologetic liberal with no administrative experience beyond his senatorial staff. During the primaries, people will vote for somebody with those characteristics. During the general election, however, the nation has a pronounced tendency to move to the center and, when in doubt, move to the right.

To be honest, McCain distancing himself from the paleoconservative wing of the party to occupy the political center is probably a good thing. Bush is a conservative in name only, but has shredded the movement's credibility in the past eight years through his profligate spending. That's why candidates such as Romney and Huckabee don't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting elected. A smart politico will identify Obama with the worst excesses of the welfare state in the 60s and 70s and help people remember why they stopped voting Democratic in the first place.

As a paleoconservative, I must say I am very disappointed with the way things are turning out. McCain represents a return to a Rockerfeller Republican party in perpetual minority status. The new Democrat Party is much more dangerous than the one under Kennedy. Too many Republican legislators are opting to retire which increases the projected gains by Democrats.

If the election turns out as projected we can look forward to:

Higher taxes

Increases in social spending

Increased layers of government and duplication of services

Increased vulnerability to hostile forces outside of borders, if they remain borders

The take over of the healthcare system by governemt with medicare sytle medicine for all.

Supreme Court justices in the mold of the ACLU lawyer Ginsburg.

Continued degredation of public education

The politics of HOPE do not encourage me.

I vote for the buffoons.

As a paleoconservative, I must say I am very disappointed with the way things are turning out. McCain represents a return to a Rockerfeller Republican party in perpetual minority status. The new Democrat Party is much more dangerous than the one under Kennedy. Too many Republican legislators are opting to retire which increases the projected gains by Democrats.

Higher taxes

Increased vulnerability to hostile forces outside of borders, if they remain borders

The take over of the healthcare system by governemt with medicare sytle medicine for all.

I vote for the buffoons.

See, I don't get your position, namely because McCain was far more conservative than Bush on the question of spending, something nobody seems to get. Bush talked the talk about conservative governance, but betrayed the movement in ways big and small. That, my friend, is why the Republican party is taking it on the chin. If Republicans lose big, you only have George W. Bush to blame, not John McCain.

Quite frankly, the Bush administration ginned up more spending on social programs than any administration since the horrid LBJ, and Huckabee did not signal a break with that. And, as far as Romney is concerned, who could tell what the man stood for on any given day? At least McCain has Gramm and DuPont in his economic camp.

Higher taxes

I vote for the buffoons.

See, I don't get your position, namely because McCain was far more conservative than Bush on the question of spending, something nobody seems to get. Bush talked the talk about conservative governance, but betrayed the movement in ways big and small. That, my friend, is why the Republican party is taking it on the chin. If Republicans lose big, you only have George W. Bush to blame, not John McCain.

Quite frankly, the Bush administration ginned up more spending on social programs than any administration since the horrid LBJ, and Huckabee did not signal a break with that. And, as far as Romney is concerned, who could tell what the man stood for on any given day? At least McCain has Gramm and DuPont in his economic camp.

You are right about Bush's spending and the Republicans in congress went right along with him. That disillusioned so many of us. We had the chance to make profound changes in this country and fumbled it. When history is written, Bush will be identified as the cause for the downfall of the Republican Party. So yes I blame George Bush but McCain will be unable to save it. He will not have the opportunity.

Otter, Obama is drawing the uninformed and what I will call the neo-comms (the new extreme leftist as depicted in the Houston office). The conservative vote will be depressed with no candidate to vote for. McCain has angered the base with his antics on Supreme Court nominations, his so called campaing reform legislation (which Bush should have vetoed), his illegal immigrant amnesty legislation and his vote against tax reduction. McCain cannot and will not be be trusted to carry the conservative message. He is barely able to articulate it.

We could campaign that McCain is the true conservative but who would believe it?

You are right about Bush's spending and the Republicans in congress went right along with him. That disillusioned so many of us. We had the chance to make profound changes in this country and fumbled it. When history is written, Bush will be identified as the cause for the downfall of the Republican Party. So yes I blame George Bush but McCain will be unable to save it. He will not have the opportunity.

Otter, Obama is drawing the uninformed and what I will call the neo-comms (the new extreme leftist as depicted in the Houston office). The conservative vote will be depressed with no candidate to vote for. McCain has angered the base with his antics on Supreme Court nominations, his so called campaing reform legislation (which Bush should have vetoed), his illegal immigrant amnesty legislation and his vote against tax reduction. McCain cannot and will not be be trusted to carry the conservative message. He is barely able to articulate it.

We could campaign that McCain is the true conservative but who would believe it?

Again, as if Bush were a "true" conservative, whatever that was.

Well, politics is the art of compromise. But this business as not being inspired enough to go out and pull the lever is a cop out, to be honest with you. That's sort of like the phony-baloney statistic about those unemployed who are too discouraged to seek work. You do the best thing with the options you have. And, given how neither the Huckster nor Romney had the slightest chance of winning the presidency even if nominated, McCain is really the best option you have to spare the country a total disaster.

So if you hear some conservative talking about not voting because McCain is ideologically pure, kick his ass. Because there is far too much at stake in this country for whiners to sit on the sideline. For if you don't like the idea of McCain in the White House, Obama or Clinton in the Oval Office should scare the bejeezus out of anybody who prizes conservative ideals.

Well, politics is the art of compromise. But this business as not being inspired enough to go out and pull the lever is a cop out, to be honest with you. That's sort of like the phony-baloney statistic about those unemployed who are too discouraged to seek work. You do the best thing with the options you have. And, given how neither the Huckster nor Romney had the slightest chance of winning the presidency even if nominated, McCain is really the best option you have to spare the country a total disaster.

So if you hear some conservative talking about not voting because McCain is ideologically pure, kick his ass. Because there is far too much at stake in this country for whiners to sit on the sideline. For if you don't like the idea of McCain in the White House, Obama or Clinton in the Oval Office should scare the bejeezus out of anybody who prizes conservative ideals.

People are what they are. Voting for somebody is a better motivator than voting against the opponent. I don't know maybe fear could work.

People are what they are. Voting for somebody is a better motivator than voting against the opponent. I don't know maybe fear could work.

I disagree. Most people file into the voting booth explicitly to vote against somebody, rather than vote for somebody they like. Lots of people held their noses while voting for Bush in 2000 and 2004.

Archived