$aban wants his daughter to be like Rashad

AU alum

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/02/saban_...ased_if_my.html

Saban: "I would be pleased if my children had the character of Rashad."

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport February 26, 2008 2:16 PM

Just got back from an eventful press conference with Alabama coach Nick Saban. The amount of things he discussed and disclosed was kind of ridiculous, so I'll probably have to do several posts about what he said.

Saban speaks.

But Saban did speak about the arrest of Rashad Johnson, along with how the to quell such behavior in the future. One noteworthy thing he said: "Rashad Johnson does not need to be suspended from the team." He agreed that what happened was not good, but he supported Johnson, one of the captains, as much as he could:

"He is a fine young man whose positive assets far outweigh his negatives. I hate this for him."

Here are a couple more compelling, interesting, or otherwise things Saban said:

"It is a problem. We cannot tolerate poor judgment."

"Rashad Johnson is a fine person, one of the leaders in our peer group. He has affected more players on this team in a positive way. He' a fine student, over a 3-point grade point average and I would be very pleased with my children had the character of Rashad. He put himself in a (bad) situation and got caught up in the middle."

"On the field, you see players correcting one another. A quarterback tells a receiver he's lined up too far. A lineman corrects the guy next to him. The lesson to learn is for players to support each other (off the field)."

"Guys have to know when to walk away and keep their mouths shut and that's probably been the biggest issue that we've had to deal with relative to being respectful to people in authority."

OK, that's all for now. Time to write...

No comment necessary.

Saban is a moron.

So if his daughters get arrested, he'll be proud.

I guess as long as you get a 3.0+ GPA (in what major?) in this world, every poor judgment you make should be negated.

Hmmm, I had a 3.5 GPA, active in the community, never in trouble with the law, and respectful to everyone I meet. I guess that gives me the right to murder someone.

Saban is a moron.

I guess as long as you get a 3.0+ GPA (in what major?) in this world, every poor judgment you make should be negated.

Hmmm, I had a 3.5 GPA, active in the community, never in trouble with the law, and respectful to everyone I meet. I guess that gives me the right to murder someone.

Quit being such an argumentative baby. You know very well that is not what Coach Saban was trying to say.

How would you feel if every statement you uttered was picked apart by someone. I think that it was a good thing that Coach Saban spoke well of this young man, because I am sure that it helped his parents feel better knowing that even though their son made one mistake, his coach is not seeing him as a harden criminal, but as someone that needs to be helped, punished yes, but not throwned away.

I hope that you never have a child that makes a mistake, and the entire state knows about it, and can only see that one thing about him, and not even consider what a good kid he is. It must be so great to be perfect.

Saban is a moron.

Quit being such an argumentative baby.

That's all PC knows how to be. Trust me.

Saban is a moron.

Quit being such an argumentative baby. You know very well that is not what Coach Saban was trying to say.

How would you feel if every statement you uttered was picked apart by someone. I think that it was a good thing that Coach Saban spoke well of this young man, because I am sure that it helped his parents feel better knowing that even though their son made one mistake, his coach is not seeing him as a harden criminal, but as someone that needs to be helped, punished yes, but not throwned away.

I hope that you never have a child that makes a mistake, and the entire state knows about it, and can only see that one thing about him, and not even consider what a good kid he is. It must be so great to be perfect.

It's all part of the responsibility of being a big-time athlete at a big-time University. You go to school for free and have the opportunity to make serious money. It comes with the responsibility of being pointed out for troubled mistakes.

Pushing a security guard and all that - yea, bravo. The kid is a punk deep down. Anyone can go out and do charity work and get a good GPA. It's how you represent yourself on your own time. Getting drunk and causing a disturbance - when you a big-time football player, you need to keep yourself from doing stupid things like that.

So what you're saying is that Saban wants his daughter to be like him only when he is sober and forced to do charity work and go to class and take (i'm assuming easy) classes. Wow, that's a tough one. Man, I hope my future son is like OJ Simpson before he went CRAZY! Or maybe he can be like Reggie Bush, just not be stupid enough to have to get caught and get sued.

Or maybe he can be like the other countless players that don't get in trouble in the national media, but are decent human-beings, but get caught drinking and driving or doing drugs once in a while. Because it's perfectly OK to make a mistake once in a while. No one will get hurt. Great role models there as well.

NOOOO. I want my kids to go out and have fun, but not get in trouble. Not to get involved with drinking at too early of an age, not to smoke and do drugs, and not to mess with people that are going to cause fights. How tough is it for someone to go through life and not make a real stupid decision? I haven't made any. Yes, students like to go out and party. That's fine, but take the responsibility. Don't make excuses "well, it was a mistake - I was drunk." Accept responsibility for your actions.

Look, I know what you meant, but I wouldn't want my kids to have the excuse to get in trouble. That's just stupid. Why don't you go hang out with the delusional Auburn basketball fans who continually bring up excuses as to why we have a poor basketball program. You guys can have a giant Excuse party, with little free-bee giveaways.

Look! The Bama fan said "throwned" They write like they talk!!

Look! The Bama fan said "throwned" They write like they talk!!

Boy, I am sure impressed.

Saban is a moron.

Save your breath and stop trying to act like Saban cares one bit about anyone's "character" including his own. This simply means Saban NEEDS HIM TO PLAY NEXT FALL, so anything the kid does is going to be overlooked, and will be dismissed in a press conference as a "mistake, but he has a lot of class."

It makes me sick. Saban was touted by you guys as this strict disciplinarian that was going to clean up. Well, he has not done it. A little more than a year later, he has done NOTHING to clean up anything except to convince players that they can get away with anything if they are needed to win.

Meanwhile, "Bear's Boys" book sales are still out the roof and your fan base continues a complete and total disconnect from reality.

Open letter to S the Coach

Dear S:

Let me get straight to the point. If one of your players gets busted, arrested, accused etc. it WILL be State and possibly national news in the sports media. Regular college students who may get popped for fighting, drinking, disorderly conduct and so on....ARE NOT RUNNING ON TO A FOOTBALL FIELD IN FRONT OF 92,000 PEOPLE IN ATTENDANCE AND MILLIONS MORE ON TV. S, it comes with the territory. Right or wrong, these players are high profile individuals and everything they do is reported on and magnified. That's the way it is. You should know it by now.

Coach S, if you grasped the above, you must then realize that your players have no business in these places, especially not at 3:00 a.m. Whether one of your captains was wrongly accused or had every right to do what he did or whatever the story is.....HE IS STILL IN A FREAKIN' BAR AT 3:00 IN THE MORNING!!! In case you haven't noticed, people are normally wasted if they are in a bar at that time and bad things happen. Whether he was in the right or not makes NO DIFFERENCE. Your player, a captain on your team, was still in a bar at 3:00 a.m. After all the trouble your players have had over the last year, does it come as a surprise to you that something else would happen to one of your players while in a bar in the same area??? If so...why?

Coach S, I would also add that you might not want to call a press conference (Yes, YOU called the press conference) to rip the media for reporting on your player being arrested, blame the media for indicting your player and basically telling the media you will not answer their questions about it during the press conference YOU asked for. Also, after reading and hopefully comprehending the above, you may want to actually consider doing something like....oohhh sayyyy...laying down the law to your players about discipline and actually enforcing some real rules....instead of calling a press conference to say what a great young man of character your captain is after he was in an altercation in a bar at 3:00 a.m.......then calling the press out for reporting on it and the countless other incidents your players have been involved in.

S, as an Auburn man, I was a little worried, thinking this press conference was to announce you were finally going to do what we as Auburn people had actually feared you would come in and do.....take total control and whip that team into a disciplined, well oiled football machine that wins championships. Instead, I was pleased to see more of the same and watch you further your apparent goal of whipping Alabama into the "Mean Machine." Thanks Coach S and keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

AUesquire

so, any kid on any football team in the nation gets arrested for anything and he is automatically a horrible person for the rest of his career/life?

yep...that's what everyone here is saying... <_<

jack ass...

so, any kid on any football team in the nation gets arrested for anything and he is automatically a horrible person for the rest of his career/life?

So long as it isn't Auburn, yes. Look at Tre Blackmon! He is a model citizen.

Yeah, a 6 game suspension for underage drinking. Other than knocking Wilson's head off in the Iron Bowl, when have you read his name in the newspaper?

I think you're grasping at straws here, dungeons and dragons.

Yeah, a 6 game suspension for underage drinking. Other than knocking Wilson's head off in the Iron Bowl, when have you read his name in the newspaper?

I think you're grasping at straws here, dungeons and dragons.

Other than playing great, when, other than last week, did you read about Rashad in the newspaper?

The point is laying down the rules and enforcing the punishment when they're broken. No one here would even presume to claim that Auburn has a football team full of choir boys. They aren't. The difference is that Tommy Tuberville does what he says he'll do when someone crosses the line. He actually enforces the rules and punishes his players when they screw up...without playing favorites.

You bring up Trey Blackmon over and over. Why? The guy broke the rules and got hammered for it. He was drinking while underage. He was suspended for half the season. So, why do you bring up Trey Blackmon? Lemarcus Rowell was an all-everything linebacker out of Opelika who was on everyone's 5* list. Ready to be the starting inside linebacker until he pulls a Juwan Simpson and was gone for the year...period. CTT allowed him a second chance after a year suspension and Rowell apparently hadn't grown up. GONE!! Brad Lester, starting tailback. No one was really sure what the problem was but he was NOT in good standing. He didn't see the field til' the season was half over. Getting ther point yet?

When Brandon Deadrick tries to trash a cop car and Castille gets hauled downtown and Rashad Johnson has his mug shot snapped...S, the Coach, wants to berate the media for reporting on it and talk about the great character of his fine young men. Oh...and can you really justify anything S does after the way he "Disciplined" his top receiver for a game...errr half until they were behind against ULM?

Well hold on...he did have the #1 recruiting class, so all is well.

The point is laying down the rules and enforcing the punishment when they're broken. No one here would even presume to claim that Auburn has a football team full of choir boys. They aren't. The difference is that Tommy Tuberville does what he says he'll do when someone crosses the line. He actually enforces the rules and punishes his players when they screw up...without playing favorites.

You bring up Trey Blackmon over and over. Why? The guy broke the rules and got hammered for it. He was drinking while underage. He was suspended for half the season. So, why do you bring up Trey Blackmon? Lemarcus Rowell was an all-everything linebacker out of Opelika who was on everyone's 5* list. Ready to be the starting inside linebacker until he pulls a Juwan Simpson and was gone for the year...period. CTT allowed him a second chance after a year suspension and Rowell apparently hadn't grown up. GONE!! Brad Lester, starting tailback. No one was really sure what the problem was but he was NOT in good standing. He didn't see the field til' the season was half over. Getting ther point yet?

When Brandon Deadrick tries to trash a cop car and Castille gets hauled downtown and Rashad Johnson has his mug shot snapped...S, the Coach, wants to berate the media for reporting on it and talk about the great character of his fine young men. Oh...and can you really justify anything S does after the way he "Disciplined" his top receiver for a game...errr half until they were behind against ULM?

What he said....

Simply amazing.

I seriously can't believe bammers continue to bring this up from two years ago. It is a textbook example of proper discipline. He was 20 years old and drinking (gasp!). Not robbing anyone at gunpoint, stopping traffic causing a public disturbance violently screaming at passing cars, not fighting any police, not headbutting his way out of the backseat of a cop car. Being 20 and having a beer. And guess what? Despite the minor charge, he was in fact arrested, and as a result missed 6 freaking games. Half a freaking season. That's discipline. And guess what? It worked. He hasn't been in a bit of trouble since. Yet bammers constantly want to paint him as some kind of thug, and point to the 6 game suspension as soft on Tuberville's part. Please one of you rest my mind and tell me you see how absolutely beyond ridiculous that is. Saban has never disciplined anyone besides cherry picking ULM (a cupcake easy win, or so he thought) as a game to suspend DJ Hall for, until they actually were down at the half, and then it's "Did I say the whole game? I meant half. It is what it is, aaight." None of the 8 arrests over the last year, nor the textbook 5 have missed minute of field time by Saban's call. Either the NCAA mandated it, or the University kicked them out. Elder won't be playing any games from the slammer. Considering it's a physical impossibility, pardon me for not being impressed.

Going into CTT's second season, one area that he was woefully thin in was the Defensive line. They barely had enough players to field a unit there but one guy, Derrick Magwood, looked like an ALL-SEC performer coming out of the spring. This guy had a phenomenol spring and early fall practice had him shaping up to be a real force from the defensive end slot. If I recall correctly, he stole from a fellow player (Daniel 8 year Cobb if I'm not mistaken). This was Tommy Tuberville's best defensive player going into the season.

Anyone ever hear from Mr. Magwood?

One player, compared to....8. What happened to Tray? He was suspended for more than half of the year.

What happened to Brandon Deadrick, D.J. Hall, Simeon Castille? D.J. Hall was suspended for 1, I mean a half a game.

:clap::clap::clap:

you guys are going down a completely different tangent that was not the point of my post.

my point is kids can do stupid things and make stupid decisions, and just because of a minor indescretion doesn't mean they are bad guys or thugs. i think we can all agree that what Elder did was not a minor indescration and that he's a moron. kids do stupid things sometimes, such as Johnson has. it doesn't mean that they're necessarily a horrible person.

you guys are going down a completely different tangent that was not the point of my post.

my point is kids can do stupid things and make stupid decisions, and just because of a minor indescretion doesn't mean they are bad guys or thugs. i think we can all agree that what Elder did was not a minor indescration and that he's a moron. kids do stupid things sometimes, such as Johnson has. it doesn't mean that they're necessarily a horrible person.

I agree...whole heartedly. I do. But are you saying that there should be no reprecussions for their "stupid" actions? That is one of the MANY differences between the 2 programs right now. TT hold his players accountable to act like men, and if they don't, they pay the consequences.

What does Saban do? And if he doesn't do anything, is he teaching them it is OK to do stupid things...contributing to turning these kids into "thugs" or "bad people"?

I agree. Kids will do things that make no sense to adults, but make perfect sense to other kids.

That being said, Saban DOES NOT have control of your program. That is what it is, aight?

You may "say" that he does have control, but I will bet you that within the next two weeks, we see another headline incident out of Tuscaloosa.

You guys are aware that there are other ways to punish guys without missing games, right? I'm not saying it's the best way to deal with it, but I would think if you had to run bleachers for 3 weeks, it could get the message across.

One thing that is good is that it's not the same people get into trouble, but also that sucks because new guys are messing up!

Archived