The Future is Here!

AFTiger

Life as envisioned by the left.

Conn. Student Suspended For Buying Candy In School

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) ― An eighth-grade honors student at a New Haven school has been suspended for buying a bag of candy at school.

Michael Sheridan, a student at Sheridan Middle School, was suspended from school for one day, barred from attending an honors student dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president.

Officials say he was punished because he bought a bag of Skittles from another student.

A school spokeswoman says the New Haven school system banned candy sales and fundraisers in 2003 as part of the district-wide school wellness policy.

Spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo says there are no candy sales allowed in schools, period.

The student who sold the candy also was suspended.

Thou shalt not buy candy.

link

The longer I live, the more I hate educators.

Not classroom teachers, mind you. For they are the unsung heroes of society.

Rather, the administrators, the principals, the rule-driven mediocrities in charge of the entire Rube Goldberg system. The people who dream up nonsensical rules to push whatever is the agenda du jour, rather than simply teach my children how to write, do arithmetic, and know their responsibilities as a citizen.

Idiots like these people are why home schooling exists.

That being said, why are you blaming the Left for this? Stupid, mindless authoritarianism seems to run on both sides of the political aisle when it comes to the classroom.

At my wife's school, it takes much more to get suspended. A TON MORE. I think you may have to permanently injure someone first. Then, whatever they miss while on vacation suspended, they get to make up once they return.

When I was in school, buying candy outside of a fundraiser would have gotten me the evil eye from a few teachers but that is all. And if I were to get suspended (never managed to do that) any work I missed went down as a big fat freakin' ZERO. Also, it was not unusual to get paddled then suspended for certain things that kids would laugh at today.

It is sad how things have changed.

That being said, why are you blaming the Left for this? Stupid, mindless authoritarianism seems to run on both sides of the political aisle when it comes to the classroom.

True, I realize that there of leftists on the Republican side of the aisle. I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

:roflol::roflol:

Two words: Patriot Act.

True, I realize that there of leftists on the Republican side of the aisle. I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

I'll try to remember that at the next school board meeting, when the same group of bible beaters lobby once again to have about 75 titles removed from the school shelves.

I'll try to remember that at the next school board meeting, when the same group of bible beaters lobby once again to have about 75 titles removed from the school shelves.

I guess you will allow the Bible in the scholl.

I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

:roflol::roflol:

Two words: Patriot Act.

One word: misinformed

:poke:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) ― An eighth-grade honors student at a New Haven school has been suspended for buying a bag of candy at school.

Michael Sheridan, a student at Sheridan Middle School, was suspended from school for one day, barred from attending an honors student dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president.

Officials say he was punished because he bought a bag of Skittles from another student.

A school spokeswoman says the New Haven school system banned candy sales and fundraisers in 2003 as part of the district-wide school wellness policy.

Spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo says there are no candy sales allowed in schools, period.

link

I don't see why all you right leaners have a problem with this.It is about getting tough on crime.We need to fry his little butt. He new the rules when he bought the M@M's.If we let him get away with it,what's next,baseball card trading.Look it's better that he learns this lesson now.If you can't do the time,don't do the crime.

Sure I will. Put it on the library shelves.

But if you're asking if it should be taught in schools, no way. The last thing anybody wants is fifty different denominations hashing it out over every single biblical passage, or duking it out over different translations of the same passage. That way lies utter madness.

But if you're asking if it should be taught in schools, no way. The last thing anybody wants is fifty different denominations hashing it out over every single biblical passage, or duking it out over different translations of the same passage. That way lies utter madness.

How about The Turner Diaries?

link

I don't see why all you right leaners have a problem with this.It is about getting tough on crime.We need to fry his little butt. He new the rules when he bought the M@M's.If we let him get away with it,what's next,baseball card trading.Look it's better that he learns this lesson now.If you can't do the time,don't do the crime.

So the left will follow rules now?!

I am talking about the rule itself. The Sugar Nazis are in control now.

I never understand something like this. I brought my Bible to school many times, had a teacher make us read it for an essay(it is literature) and no one ever complained.

There is a difference between a teacher leading a prayer and a student praying. A kid can still pray in school so quit acting like the "left" makes every Christian hide in the corner and not even look up to the sky. In my school, and in much of the South where the coalition for prayer in School is so huge you would get made fun of a lot more if you said you were not a Christian than the other way around.

It is funny to me how the "leftist" are the ones who don't let you control your life and the "rightist(?)" let you have all your freedoms, well except gay marriage, or marijuana, or books that teach things other than the Bible, but oh yea, Freedom for all unless it infringes on the rights of another.

Edit: Lets not get to caught up in "Oh how the schools are so terrible for doing this" This isn't the normal. It is a strange occurence which is why it is getting so much media attention. My mom is still a teacher and a suspension like this would never fly.

I never understand something like this. I brought my Bible to school many times, had a teacher make us read it for an essay(it is literature) and no one ever complained.

There is a difference between a teacher leading a prayer and a student praying. A kid can still pray in school so quit acting like the "left" makes every Christian hide in the corner and not even look up to the sky. In my school, and in much of the South where the coalition for prayer in School is so huge you would get made fun of a lot more if you said you were not a Christian than the other way around.

It is funny to me how the "leftist" are the ones who don't let you control your life and the "rightist(?)" let you have all your freedoms, well except gay marriage, or marijuana, or books that teach things other than the Bible, but oh yea, Freedom for all unless it infringes on the rights of another.

Edit: Lets not get to caught up in "Oh how the schools are so terrible for doing this" This isn't the normal. It is a strange occurence which is why it is getting so much media attention. My mom is still a teacher and a suspension like this would never fly.

There's many a school in this country where you can get in trouble for reading a Bible at lunch.

How about The Turner Diaries?

Absolutely. I read it. It's disgusting filth. But if a high schooler wants to read it, then okay.

There's many a school in this country where you can get in trouble for reading a Bible at lunch.

Really. On your own time? Name one.

Now at my kid's schools, there is a standing rule that you're not allowed to read during lunch period, ostensibly to held kids form stronger social skills. I don't really agree with that, either.

Really. On your own time? Name one.

I don't have a link or anything. Just based on stories I've read...and one of my sister's (shes 12) friends who got in trouble for reading her Bible at lunch by herself.

I don't have a link or anything. Just based on stories I've read...and one of my sister's (shes 12) friends who got in trouble for reading her Bible at lunch by herself.

Wow, I have never heard of that before. I think you can fight that. I did not think the Bible was a censored book. I think that could be a case of a teacher misunderstanding the rules. I don't think it is a banned book.

. I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

:rolleyes:

Well, you have to "place" them there since that's not where you find them.

How about legalizing prostitution? Legalizing narcotics? The right to marry a person of any race? The right of all races to vote? The right to not be wiretapped without a warrant? Where do you "place" those positions?

. I tend to place authoritarianism on the left and individual freedom on the right.

How about legalizing prostitution? Legalizing narcotics? The right to marry a person of any race? The right of all races to vote? The right to not be wiretapped without a warrant? Where do you "place" those positions?

How about legalizing prostitution? It's legal in Nevada, isn't it?

Legalizing narcotics? Marijuana is legal in Alaska and Denver.

The right to marry a person of any race? Where is that illegal?

The right of all races to vote? Where is that illegal?

The right to not be wiretapped without a warrant? You mean the terrorists living overseas don't you?

The right to not be wiretapped without a warrant? You mean the terrorists living overseas don't you?

You didn't answer the question. Are those positions liberal or conservative?

BTW, miscegenation was illegal in much of the South-- 16 states-- until the Supreme Ct. overruled such laws in 1967. Barack Obama's parents could not have gotten married in much of America in 1961.

BTW, miscegenation was illegal in much of the South-- 16 states-- until the Supreme Ct. overruled such laws in 1967. Barack Obama's parents could not have gotten married in much of America in 1961.

Don't know if they are liberal or conservative. But in the south of the time period you spoke of it was the dems pushing the agenda. Was Robert Byrd still in the KKK in 1967?

Don't know if they are liberal or conservative. But in the south of the time period you spoke of it was the dems pushing the agenda. Was Robert Byrd still in the KKK in 1967?

Mike Huckabee reminds me of a southern conservative Democrat from 30 years ago. Strom Thurmond was one more than 40 years ago. Once a Dem President pushed the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act through, he bolted to the Republican party where his racism felt like a better fit. Other Dems, since almost all Southerners were Dems then, followed over the next few years.

So you really don't know if those positions are liberal or conservative? Do you know which one you are?

So you really don't know if those positions are liberal or conservative? Do you know which one you are?

It's late and I really haven't thought about them except to yank your chain a little. <_<:P:big:

It's late and I really haven't thought about them except to yank your chain a little. <_<:P:big:

That's what I figured. :P:roflol:

Archived