AU alum

Is CRR three years old?

Rodriguez says W. Va. officials pressured him to sign in 2007

Associated Press

Updated: May 14, 2008, 12:00 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. -- Former West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez says West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin and three members of the university's board of governors pressured him into signing a new contract before the start of the 2007 season, even though it had a $4 million buyout clause he didn't want.

In a deposition taken last month and released Tuesday, Rodriguez says board members Steve Farmer, Drew Payne and Perry Petroplus also assured him that his outstanding demands for the football program would be met when Mike Garrison became WVU president.

The deposition was taken for WVU's lawsuit to recover the $4 million from Rodriguez, who quit in December to take the coaching job at Michigan.

Rodriguez first agreed to the buyout in a December 2006 term sheet, then accepted it again by signing an amended contract on Aug. 24, 2007.

Rodriguez said he believed the board members partly because they were in influential positions: He says Farmer told him months before the official appointment that Garrison -- then a 38-year-old lawyer with thin academic credentials -- would get the presidency.

"So when it occurred, it added credence to my belief that, 'Hey, these guys know what's going on,' " Rodriguez testified at the April 21 proceeding in Michigan.

Those conversations occurred in August 2007, as Rodriguez's relationship with athletic director Ed Pastilong disintegrated to the point the two men barely spoke, Rodriguez testified.

Likewise, then-president David Hardesty and his general counsel, Tom Dorer, didn't return phone calls from the coach's agent for "three or four months," Rodriguez said.

He said the board members also told him a signed contract would help Garrison's administration get off to a good start.

Rodriguez, who quit after seven seasons at the school, contends he was misled into signing by a variety of promises that were not kept.

WVU says Rodriguez had a sports agent, lawyer and financial adviser throughout the process and knew what he was signing. Rodriguez, however, contends he expected Garrison to keep a promise to reduce or eliminate the buyout -- a pledge Garrison denies making.

The case will be heard in Monongalia County Circuit Court in Morgantown. A trial date has not been set.

Garrison and his chief of staff, Craig Walker, are among those yet to give depositions.

Rodriguez said the board members told him last summer that the governor wanted the contract signed before the start of the football season, so he met with Garrison and Walker on Aug. 24.

"And that's the time when [Garrison] said he didn't believe in buyouts, and that he would reduce it anyway, once he took office," Rodriguez testified.

At the meeting, Walker said the governor wanted the contract signed, Rodriguez said.

Manchin, Rodriguez said, called the next day warning of negative publicity if the coach started the season without a signed contract.

Rodriguez said Manchin told him, "So I think you should get it signed."

Rodriguez first agreed to a damages clause in 2002, at the suggestion of agent Rick Davis. WVU would pay $2 million if it fired him, and he would pay WVU the same if he left before his contract expired.

Under questioning, Rodriguez first said the $2 million buyout was reasonable. He then said it wasn't fair that he should have to pay WVU the same amount it would pay him.

In 2006, Rodriguez hired agent Mike Brown, and that December, when Alabama made him an offer, Rodriguez reopened his contract. But a meeting with Pastilong "was discouraging because there wasn't an effort, I felt, to keep me," he said.

Two prominent boosters -- Bridgeport construction company owner David Alvarez and Ken Kendrick, managing general partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks -- stepped in and asked him to list his demands.

They included a multimillion-dollar locker room renovation and his own Web site, which Pastilong said in his deposition that he opposed.

Rodriguez signed a term sheet Dec. 8, 2006, that essentially doubled his compensation package and the damages clause from $2 million to $4 million.

Rodriguez said he considered the $4 million "excessive" and "unfair," but acquiesced when he learned Kendrick had insisted on the amount. Kendrick had pledged $2.5 million to the WVU Foundation Inc., contingent on Rodriguez remaining as coach.

Rodriguez also acknowledged he has agreed to a $4 million damages clause at Michigan.

After he got Michigan's offer Dec. 14, Rodriguez met with Pastilong and Walker. Though he had hoped for an agreement, he said that changed during a private 10 p.m. meeting at Garrison's house on Dec. 15.

Rodriguez said he implored Garrison to keep his promises.

"And up until that time it always had been positive, that we will work on it. We'll try. Give us time. We'll get it done," he said. "And that night I asked specifically, Tell me yes or no. And it was no to everything."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Im simply amazed the Michigan alumni and booster organization hasn't stopped all of this. If they would have just forked over the cash to get him out of his contract this wouldn't be such a joke. I would assume fans of both WVU and Mi want this over.

Pay up Rodriguez. You have lots of :$: & you are where you want to be. Better put this all behind and get to work.

He is an absolute baby

He is one of those older men who act like they are 18 years old and on top of that he knows he is a smart football mind so he doesn't let people forget it

When he is caught doing something, he loves to blame others for absolutely everything

When it eventually comes out that he was sleeping with Co-Eds at Tulane, CU, WVU, and UM, I am sure he will blame the women for seducing him

Archived