Bush sacrifices for war effort

Dubba said he gave up golf to sacrifice for the war effort. Kind of like George Washington's sacrifices at Valley Forge.

Before you jump on me, I gave up beets for lent.

Bush is such a pathetic liar. There's some crap on the bottom of my shoe that is more honorable than that POS.

US President George W. Bush said in an interview out Tuesday that he quit playing golf in 2003 out of respect for the families of US soldiers killed in the conflict in Iraq, now in its sixth year.

"I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal," he said in an interview for Yahoo! News and Politico magazine.

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander-in-chief playing golf," he said. "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them."

The US president traced his decision to the August 19, 2003 bombing of UN headquarters in Baghdad, which killed the world body's top official in Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello.

"I remember when de Mello, who was at the UN, got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man's life. And I was playing golf -- I think I was in central Texas -- and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it's just not worth it anymore to do," said Bush.

Bush's last round of golf as president dates back to October 13, 2003, according to meticulous records kept by CBS news.

On the day of the bombing two months earlier, he had cut short his golf game at the 12th hole and returned to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas.

He claims he quit playing golf on 8/19 out of respect, yet, he plays again on Columbus Day not two months later. I'm sure his "sacrifice" had more to do with his bad knee than it did anything else.

Thanks for the "sacrifice," George.

No comment!

The world should be happy that I wasn't president after 9-11. We would have saved trillions on war spending, because the replacement of glass makers is cheaper than 150,000 plus in troop movement.

But Hillary gets caught on tape lying, and y'all will dismiss that away as no big deal?

H Y P O C R I T E S

But Hillary gets caught on tape lying, and y'all will dismiss that away as no big deal?

H Y P O C R I T E S

Hillary's lie didn't result in thousands of Americans being killed. So yes, it was no big deal.

H Y P O C R I T E S

No we didn't.And I don't think any of us "libbie" voted for her.

Don't forget, he gave up combat by joining the Guard in the Viet Nam War.

He sacrificed his coveted spot in Southeast Asia so some poor kid from Cleveland wouldn't miss out on the fun. He sacrificed his coveted spot in the TANG by coming to Alabama so another rich Texan could give his coveted spot in Southeast Asia to some poor kid from Detroit. He sacrificed his coveted spot in the AANG so he could party and campaign for Winton Blount, thereby allowing someone else to sacrifice their coveted spot in Southeast Asia for some poor kid from St. Louis. He also sacrificed $500,000,000,000 and 4077 Americans to not capture or kill the person responsible for 9/11.

I wish George would think about himself sometimes.

As Bugs Bunny said, what a maroon.

Surely even the most slavish, devoted Bushbot can agree that this was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Surely even the most slavish, devoted Bushbot can agree that this was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Don't count on it. AURaptor has already begun deflecting. The others will soon follow.

It's golf. Who gives a s***?

Keep on focusing on Bush. Pretty soon you'll be wondering how in the hell McCain got elected.

I think many folks can trace the day they DECIDED to do something, but didn't actually get it done for a while. So it's just another play on words. His decision to play golf or not did not get any soldiers killed. The "Bush lied people died" morons are still out there I see.

Keep on focusing on Bush. Pretty soon you'll be wondering how in the hell McCain got elected.

I think many folks can trace the day they DECIDED to do something, but didn't actually get it done for a while. So it's just another play on words. His decision to play golf or not did not get any soldiers killed. The "Bush lied people died" morons are still out there I see.

The man is being crucified in the press for a simple reason. He deserves it.

Here's what you don't get. The man does not engage brain before operating his mouth. Seriously. When you have hundreds of thousands of troops overseas facing daily peril, when you have thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of injuries, and when you have thousands and thousands of families coping with the death, rehabilitation, and absence of loved ones, stating that you've given up golf is tasteless to the extreme, and pointless to boot.

What's more, it's just one of many boneheaded political moves on the part of our dunce of a president. It's bizarre. It's perverse. It's almost as if the guy runs down the list of commonsense things to do or say in any given situation, and then does exactly the opposite. I've never seen a more tone-deaf, inarticulate politician in my lifetime. Even Jimmy Carter inspired more faith during his presidency than Bush does today, and that's pretty bad.

Ronald Reagan had his share of gaffes. But he also was a convincing public speaker. He was able to inspire confidence. And he never shied away from facing a national audience. Bush on the other hand, stumbles, says the same basic catchwords over and over again, and cannot seem to answer a single question without being heavily coached by some puppeteer offstage. Witness his awful debate performances versus Kerry in 2004, probably the weakest possible candidate the Democrats could have offered up. Heck, the man hasn't even mastered the pronunciation of "Nuclear" in the past eight years.

The president has to be a leader. Bush has been a disaster for the conservative movement and the Republican party. The Republicans know it, the conservatives know it, and the American people know it.

H Y P O C R I T E S

Hillary's lie didn't result in thousands of Americans being killed. So yes, it was no big deal.

But Bill's did!

Here's what you don't get. The man does not engage brain before operating his mouth. Seriously. When you have hundreds of thousands of troops overseas facing daily peril, when you have thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of injuries, and when you have thousands and thousands of families coping with the death, rehabilitation, and absence of loved ones, stating that you've given up golf is tasteless to the extreme, and pointless to boot.

What's more, it's just one of many boneheaded political moves on the part of our dunce of a president. It's bizarre. It's perverse. It's almost as if the guy runs down the list of commonsense things to do or say in any given situation, and then does exactly the opposite. I've never seen a more tone-deaf, inarticulate politician in my lifetime. Even Jimmy Carter inspired more faith during his presidency than Bush does today, and that's pretty bad.

Ronald Reagan had his share of gaffes. But he also was a convincing public speaker. He was able to inspire confidence. And he never shied away from facing a national audience. Bush on the other hand, stumbles, says the same basic catchwords over and over again, and cannot seem to answer a single question without being heavily coached by some puppeteer offstage. Witness his awful debate performances versus Kerry in 2004, probably the weakest possible candidate the Democrats could have offered up. Heck, the man hasn't even mastered the pronunciation of "Nuclear" in the past eight years.

The president has to be a leader. Bush has been a disaster for the conservative movement and the Republican party. The Republicans know it, the conservatives know it, and the American people know it.

Wow. Very well said.

Wow. Very well said.

bull****. It's golf. Who gives a s***. Keep focusing. I'm sure all of America is just beside themselves because Bush gave a date that he said he said he decided to stop playing golf, but then didn't stop until 2 months later. Who gives a rats' ass? You guys can keep harping on this till you are blue in the face, but Bush ain't running and McCain has distanced himself from Bush years ago. SO once again, it's just an opportunity to bring up everything that anyone has against Bush. There are many things I'm upset with him about, but when he did or didn't stop playing golf and for whatever reason, I DON'T CARE. And millions of other folks don't either.

<insert next diatribe here>

bull****. It's golf. Who gives a s***. Keep focusing. I'm sure all of America is just beside themselves because Bush gave a date that he said he said he decided to stop playing golf, but then didn't stop until 2 months later. Who gives a rats' ass? You guys can keep harping on this till you are blue in the face, but Bush ain't running and McCain has distanced himself from Bush years ago. SO once again, it's just an opportunity to bring up everything that anyone has against Bush. There are many things I'm upset with him about, but when he did or didn't stop playing golf and for whatever reason, I DON'T CARE. And millions of other folks don't either.

When he did or did not start, stop or resume playing golf isn't the thing. It goes to the character of the man you've gladly chosen to dirty your knees for over the last 8 years. He calls on America to sacrifice for a foolhearty venture and then has the gall to offer his "sacrifice" as being that he'll quit playing golf. And then adds insult to injury by not even fully committing to his paltry "sacrifice" and lying, straight-faced, to the people who've truly sacrificed far more than to stop playing a game. For a couple of months.

And, if you think McCain has maintained his distance from Bush then you, sir, don't pay attention. At this point, McCain is moving so close to Dubya that I believe Mike Gravel or Dennis Kucinich could win against him in November.

When he did or did not start, stop or resume playing golf isn't the thing. It goes to the character of the man you've gladly chosen to dirty your knees for over the last 8 years. He calls on America to sacrifice for a foolhearty venture and then has the gall to offer his "sacrifice" as being that he'll quit playing golf. And then adds insult to injury by not even fully committing to his paltry "sacrifice" and lying, straight-faced, to the people who've truly sacrificed far more than to stop playing a game. For a couple of months.

And, if you think McCain has maintained his distance from Bush then you, sir, don't pay attention. At this point, McCain is moving so close to Dubya that I believe Mike Gravel or Dennis Kucinich could win against him in November.

Look. You guys have been the one's blowing achmed. I have stood up many times against Bush's out of control spending. But I will say he has bigger balls than any of you little twits for standing up and protecting my country. And I really could care less about when he did or did not start or stop golf. What I do care about is that the bombs are not going off here at home. So as long as he isn't friends with terrorists, or wants to just TALK to them about not hurting us, I will support his foreign policy of protecting the US every way he can. So keep worrying about the golf. The big people will keep you safe so that is all you have to worry about.

You guys are trying so hard to make McCain into Bush. Keep trying.

Look. You guys have been the one's blowing achmed. I have stood up many times against Bush's out of control spending. But I will say he has bigger balls than any of you little twits for standing up and protecting my country. And I really could care less about when he did or did not start or stop golf. What I do care about is that the bombs are not going off here at home. So as long as he isn't friends with terrorists, or wants to just TALK to them about not hurting us, I will support his foreign policy of protecting the US every way he can. So keep worrying about the golf. The big people will keep you safe so that is all you have to worry about.

You guys are trying so hard to make McCain into Bush. Keep trying.

He has not protected your country.As far as the golf goes,you don't care that he is an idot liar.

But I will say he has bigger balls than any of you little twits for standing up and protecting my country.

Thank God we don't have to rely on you since you've never offered to stand up and protect it. Hurling insults from the cheap seats provided by someone else is more your style.

Wow. Very well said.

Millions of other folks may not care, but that number is dwindling by the week. And for good reason.

I just don't get you. He threw the country, the Republican Party, and the conservative movement under the bus, and you still keep defending the guy. This man has betrayed every single thing you believe in. If you were a woman, you'd be the equivalent of a battered spouse, continuing to make excuses as to why your husband hits you.

CCTAU,

I'll reiterate for the third time in this thread that the real issue is not WHEN he stopped playing golf (though that was apparently a lie.) Just for argument's sake, let's say he stopped playing golf on exactly the date he said he did.

The point is, it is monumentally retarded to put "not playing golf" out there as some kind of sacrifice that you're offering as an homage to the sacrifice of the troops. Beyond stupid. It just goes to the utterly tone-deaf nature of the man's political instincts.

THAT's what otter was saying, which you continue to completely miss by reiterating your rant about "when" he stopped playing golf.

CCTAU,

I'll reiterate for the third time in this thread that the real issue is not WHEN he stopped playing golf (though that was apparently a lie.) Just for argument's sake, let's say he stopped playing golf on exactly the date he said he did.

The point is, it is monumentally retarded to put "not playing golf" out there as some kind of sacrifice that you're offering as an homage to the sacrifice of the troops. Beyond stupid. It just goes to the utterly tone-deaf nature of the man's political instincts.

THAT's what otter was saying, which you continue to completely miss by reiterating your rant about "when" he stopped playing golf.

Not true. He said he quit playing golf in 2003. He said he remembers coming to the decision (in August I think) that it's not right to be doing something enjoyable when the troops can't be enjoying themselves. He didn't say he absolutely quit on that day. Then he absolutely quit 2 months later. The man quit playing golf in 2003. There was no lie there and it's not absurd to give up something to show support for something else. I think the Catholics call it lent?

GWB has not betrayed me totally. He still has kept this country from falling under terrorist attack and the economy has been exceptional over the last several years. YES, he has spent entirely too much and has squandered an opportunity to cut spending and push for more conservative ideas. But you guys act like the little issue with the golf date absolutely proves him a liar. I really don't care if you like him or not at this point, just don't come down on him to the point where you forget any good that has happened.

And TA, I was a little smarter than you, when they said they cut the board for entry into the USAF which I had already applied, I wasn't dumb enough to enlist after having a degree. I applied, they didn't need anyone at the time. Some of us move on with our lives and don't let the decision haunt us forever. To bad it does you.

And did Bush say it was a sacrifice? Or was that little arnie's words.

I think the word was solidarity.

And TA, I was a little smarter than you, when they said they cut the board for entry into the USAF which I had already applied, I wasn't dumb enough to enlist after having a degree. I applied, they didn't need anyone at the time. Some of us move on with our lives and don't let the decision haunt us forever. To bad it does you.

Since you had that degree already, I wonder why you were talking enlistment instead of commission? Maybe you're not so smart, after all. Maybe it's typical CCTAU/Dirty Harry puffery. But, it really doesn't matter to me whether you have or not, until you cross the line you cross on a regular basis, when you say sh^t like, "But I will say he has bigger balls than any of you little twits for standing up and protecting my country," especially when one of the "little twits" you're accusing actually has and is standing up and you. the accuser, spew your BS having never stood up to protect anything.

Also, my decision hasn't haunted me forever. In fact, I just re-enlisted this past year. My hope is that I can have a commander-in-chief that I can be proud to serve under again.

CCTAU,

Not true. He said he quit playing golf in 2003. He said he remembers coming to the decision (in August I think) that it's not right to be doing something enjoyable when the troops can't be enjoying themselves. He didn't say he absolutely quit on that day. Then he absolutely quit 2 months later. The man quit playing golf in 2003. There was no lie there and it's not absurd to give up something to show support for something else. I think the Catholics call it lent?

GWB has not betrayed me totally. He still has kept this country from falling under terrorist attack and the economy has been exceptional over the last several years. YES, he has spent entirely too much and has squandered an opportunity to cut spending and push for more conservative ideas. But you guys act like the little issue with the golf date absolutely proves him a liar. I really don't care if you like him or not at this point, just don't come down on him to the point where you forget any good that has happened.

And did Bush say it was a sacrifice? Or was that little arnie's words.

I think the word was solidarity.

My friends call me BIG arnie

Since you had that degree already, I wonder why you were talking enlistment instead of commission? Maybe you're not so smart, after all. Maybe it's typical CCTAU/Dirty Harry puffery.

My decision hasn't haunted me forever. In fact, I just re-enlisted this past year. My hope is that I can have a commander-in-chief that I can be proud to serve under again.

No I was stating that I waited until I had a degree in order to think about it. I didn't enlist to get a degree and then bitch and moan about it the rest of my career. I too wish that you could go back to the 80's of doing nothing for your weekend pay and two weeks a year, but it's a new day. Many are having to live up to their agreements. Many are doing so without the wailing and moaning that you always seem to produce. Just maybe when achmed is elected, you can go back to your old blissful life. But until then, you can continue to operate as a cancer within. That is your right afforded you by the freedoms expressed in our constitution. So carry on the good fight.

Archived