Bush: Too coked out to recall

TexasTiger

I'm not surprised he was on Olbermann. But to hear him talk, that's the only kinds of places he was on. He's been on The Today Show, Good Morning America and at least a couple of other news outlets. Tomorrow he'll be on CNN and I'm sure he'll be on more after that. Wouldn't be shocked if Russert gets a crack at him too.

yup, he'll be on Meet The Press this Sunday

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Fmr. White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan joins us on Sunday to talk about his new book, "What Happened: Inside the Bush White House & Washington's Culture of Deception" that's causing a political firestorm. After serving Pres. Bush for over 7 years, McClellan will address his candid assessment about administration conduct & failings in the CIA leak case, Hurricane Katrina & the Iraq war. Plus, more on Decision 2008 TBA.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised he was on Olbermann. But to hear him talk, that's the only kinds of places he was on. He's been on The Today Show, Good Morning America and at least a couple of other news outlets. Tomorrow he'll be on CNN and I'm sure he'll be on more after that. Wouldn't be shocked if Russert gets a crack at him too.

You call the Today Show and Good Morning America "news" outlets?

Even so, it seems that anyone who has worked in politics is writing a book as soon as they can. Used to be that when someone disagreed with something, they resigned in protest. Now they hang on like leaches until the blood dries up, then they write a book. We seemed to have had this same discussion about the retired generals a while back.

Whether what's in the book is totally true or not, we'll probably not know for many years. I imagine much of it is fact based. But then I imagine that a book written in praise of Bush would not sell nearly as many copies as one denigrating him.

So while everyone focuses on Bush, the rest of us will support McCain (not the Bush).

Kind of like Neal Boortz is a real "new" outlet

Even so, it seems that anyone who has worked in politics is writing a book as soon as they can. Used to be that when someone disagreed with something, they resigned in protest. Now they hang on like leaches until the blood dries up, then they write a book. We seemed to have had this same discussion about the retired generals a while back.

Whether what's in the book is totally true or not, we'll probably not know for many years. I imagine much of it is fact based. But then I imagine that a book written in praise of Bush would not sell nearly as many copies as one denigrating him.

So while everyone focuses on Bush, the rest of us will support McCain (not the Bush).

NEVER. I usually link him with a Commentary link.

Peggy Noonan's take:

When I finished the book I came out not admiring Mr. McClellan or liking him but, in terms of the larger arguments, believing him. One hopes more people who work or worked within the Bush White House will address the book's themes and interpretations. What he says may be inconvenient, and it may be painful, but that's not what matters. What matters is if it's true. Let the debate on the issues, not the man, commence.

What's needed now? More memoirs, more data, more information, more testimony. More serious books, like Doug Feith's. More "this is what I saw" and "this is what is true." Feed history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1212098034...days_columnists

When I finished the book I came out not admiring Mr. McClellan or liking him but, in terms of the larger arguments, believing him. One hopes more people who work or worked within the Bush White House will address the book's themes and interpretations. What he says may be inconvenient, and it may be painful, but that's not what matters. What matters is if it's true. Let the debate on the issues, not the man, commence.

What's needed now? More memoirs, more data, more information, more testimony. More serious books, like Doug Feith's. More "this is what I saw" and "this is what is true." Feed history.

I have always enjoyed Peggy. She generally seems pretty open-minded and fair.

Titan and Tiger Al, this clown hasn't revealed anything new, has he ? Nope. And funny, but isn't pretty much his entire argument the EXACT template the Far extreme Left has been blathering on about for the past 7 years ? Sorry, I can smell a dung heap like this from a mile away, and don't need to read his so called 'memoirs'.

And as usual Raptor, your only argument is based on what Rush L. and this forum has said. Even this statement doesn't make sense. The past 7 years? These "arguments" that you speak of haven't really been going on for the past seven years. I know I know, you just figure he's been in office for seven, so why not group them all together. You group everything else together. Scott is coming out against Bush, he must be lying, it must be worthless, so on and so forth. We know.

Kinda like Countdown/Olbermann is a real "news outlet."

I don't listen to Bortz so I don't know for sure but my opinion is he has an opinion show. He's not a journalist and it's not really "News." Same can be said about Olberman.

On the other hand, TTS and GMA are news shows w/ variety thrown in. Their news may seem slanted at times (depending on which side of the political spectrum you are on) but it is a morning news show.

Furthermore, who cares what outlet he uses to deal his book? Read the book and then make a decision. I probably won't read the book. I don't have the time and don't really want to read a book that makes me angrier about the guy I voted for (twice) than I already am.

Bush did cocaine and partied like a spoiled rich kid in his youth?...I'm shocked. But he found Jesus later in life and is a strong advocate for "compassionate conservatism" so all is well now. Move on, nothing to see here except a liberal conspiracy.

Bush did cocaine and partied like a spoiled rich kid in his youth?...I'm shocked. But he found Jesus later in life and is a strong advocate for "compassionate conservatism" so all is well now. Move on, nothing to see here except a liberal conspiracy.

Yep. No reason for anyone to ever see the err of their ways and come to Jesus. It's all poppycock anyway. It's better to bust through the gates of hell wide open yelling" Hey Lucy...I'm home."

I guess he should have taken a page out of the Clinton book and said something like, "Yes. I snorted it. But I didn't inhale." :roflol:

To my knowledge, no one here has read the book yet, so it's hard to make such firm, informed conclusions about what is wrong in it. Most of the criticism I've seen from the Bushbots on talk shows, and here, has been pretty substance-free.

I've seen two interviews with Scott today and he seemed more comfortable and confident than I've ever seen him. I don't think he was ever comfortable in the spin role, which all press secretaries have to do. The challenges this administration has placed on it's press secretaries has been particularly difficult.

This guy latched on to Bush early on, and was a true believer in Bush personally. I sense he still has a fondness for Bush, even though he has become very disillusioned. His mom has a long history in Republican circles in Texas. His grandfather was a legendary Dean of UT-Law School who was highly regarded for his integrity. McClellan has had a reputation for basic decency even amongst the press corps he often frustrated.

From what I understand, his publisher doesn't pay more than 100K in advances. He could have done far better if money was his primary goal.

Couldn't help but notice you left out his father. I don't blame you. Do you know him personally? I see you are on a first name basis with him now. :poke:

Don't know much about his dad. Scott's easier to spell. B)

\

Pa wrote a similar tell all kind of book mentioned earlier in the thread.

Archived