Bush: Too coked out to recall

TexasTiger

"'The media won't let go of these ridiculous cocaine rumors,' I heard Bush say. 'You know, the truth is I honestly don't remember whether I tried it or not. We had some pretty wild parties back in the day, and I just don't remember.'"

"I remember thinking to myself, How can that be?" McClellan wrote. "How can someone simply not remember whether or not they used an illegal substance like cocaine? It didn't make a lot of sense."

Bush, according to McClellan, "isn't the kind of person to flat-out lie."

"So I think he meant what he said in that conversation about cocaine. It's the first time when I felt I was witnessing Bush convincing himself to believe something that probably was not true, and that, deep down, he knew was not true," McClellan wrote. "And his reason for doing so is fairly obvious — political convenience."

In the years that followed, McClellan "would come to believe that sometimes he convinces himself to believe what suits his needs at the moment." McClellan likened it to a witness who resorts to "I do not recall."

"Bush, similarly, has a way of falling back on the hazy memory to protect himself from potential political embarrassment," McClellan wrote, adding, "In other words, being evasive is not the same as lying in Bush's mind."

And McClellan linked the tactic to the decision to invade Iraq, a decision based on flawed intelligence.

"It would not be the last time Bush mishandled potential controversy," he said of the cocaine rumors. "But the cases to come would involve the public trust, and the failure to deal with them early, directly and head-on would lead to far greater suspicion and far more destructive partisan warfare," he wrote.

http://www.ajc.com/meetro/content/news/sto...nbook_0527.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I had no idea that this guy was psychic and could read Bush's mind. That seems to be what he is claiming to do here. Granted, it does seem like GWB would remember. I think almost if not all of us are guilty at some time or another of doing something similar at least if that is the case here. A rationalization of sorts. If it were a crime clinton would be in jail under the 3 strikes you're out policy in several states.

Reading an excerpt like this with lots of supposition involved makes me look at the guy as even more of a worm. Of course he's a big time Christian of some sort as some have pointed out. Perhaps his book and profits have and will be guided by the hand of God. Heavy sarcasm intended, of course.

Why is it that just because a guy publishes a book about something, he must not be credible? If he thinks these things are important for people to know, what's he supposed to do, jot it down on legal pads or keep it in his diary?

False headline typical of the lying , extreme far Left. He never said he was " too coked out to recall " . But one thing IS clear, if we're to believe SM, that Bush never used coke habitually, as did Bubba. Of course, if it was Bill Clinton, no one would bat an eye, his past being a private, personal matter.

BTW, Why has Bill Clinton never released his full medical records ?

False headline typical of the lying , extreme far Left. He never said he was " too coked out to recall " . But one thing IS clear, if we're to believe SM, that Bush never used coke habitually, as did Bubba. Of course, if it was Bill Clinton, no one would bat an eye, his past being a private, personal matter.

BTW, what does it have to do with Bush's credibility? I have no love for Clinton or his shrew, but what he does or doesn't do is irrelevant.

McClellen better get ready, the right wing smear machine will be out in full force.Almost, but not quite, as it will be in over drive for Obama.

Also, any recommandations for places to eat or drink in the Keys.

McClellen better get ready, the right wing smear machine will be out in full force.Almost, but not quite, as it will be in over drive for Obama.

What credibility did McClellen have w/ the Left before? ZERO. Now, he's one of their darlings. We saw how inept he was at his job, which is why he got canned. The dude was in over his head, and he knew it. This whine fest of a book only verifies.

Wow. I had no idea that this guy was psychic and could read Bush's mind. That seems to be what he is claiming to do here. Granted, it does seem like GWB would remember. I think almost if not all of us are guilty at some time or another of doing something similar at least if that is the case here. A rationalization of sorts. If it were a crime clinton would be in jail under the 3 strikes you're out policy in several states.

Reading an excerpt like this with lots of supposition involved makes me look at the guy as even more of a worm. Of course he's a big time Christian of some sort as some have pointed out. Perhaps his book and profits have and will be guided by the hand of God. Heavy sarcasm intended, of course.

What supposition? When asked if the cocaine rumors were true, Bush said he didn't know if they were true. He was partying so much he wasn't sure. Man alive, if any Dem had said that, he'd be skewered here. :rolleyes::roflol:

What credibility did McClellen have w/ the Left before? ZERO. Now, he's one of their darlings. We saw how inept he was at his job, which is why he got canned. The dude was in over his head, and he knew it. This whine fest of a book only verifies.

Who picks inept people to do a job? Other inept people. He did that job for a pretty good while with Dubya's blessing.

BTW, he's not one of my "darlings." But I guess he's trying to cleanse his soul. A little late to make a political difference, but maybe he feels he needs to wash off all the BS he bathed in as a Bushee. You love swimming in the stuff, but folks with a better grasp of reality have problems with that kind of thing after a while.

Who picks inept people to do a job? Other inept people. He did that job for a pretty good while with Dubya's blessing.

BTW, he's not one of my "darlings." But I guess he's trying to cleanse his soul. A little late to make a political difference, but maybe he feels he needs to wash off all the BS he bathed in as a Bushee. You love swimming in the stuff, but folks with a better grasp of reality have problems with that kind of thing after a while.

Folks know they're in over their heads, and when asked, Scott should have declined. It's funny to watch the Libs call Bush an idiot, a moron, inept in one breath, then turn around and accuse him of being the mastermind who out classed the Left's elites at their own game. Truly amazing. :roflol:

And spare me this crap about " cleansing his soul " . Scotty got nil out of a White House position and his career was a joke. So he decided to cash in on a tell anything but the truth book , which the Libs were certain to buy. Because why show any sort of backbone or conviction when it mattered most, when you were on the job and in a position to speak up WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING when instead you can keep your mouth shut, wait a few yrs and stick the knife in the back of those who gave you a chance so you can make a small fortune ??

Woooo....the bravery and conviction just sends shivers down my spine!!

Folks know they're in over their heads, and when asked, Scott should have declined. It's funny to watch the Libs call Bush an idiot, a moron, inept in one breath, then turn around and accuse him of being the mastermind who out classed the Left's elites at their own game. Truly amazing. :roflol:

And spare me this crap about " cleansing his soul " . Scotty got nil out of a White House position and his career was a joke. So he decided to cash in on a tell anything but the truth book , which the Libs were certain to buy. Because why show any sort of backbone or conviction when it mattered most, when you were on the job and in a position to speak up WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING when instead you can keep your mouth shut, wait a few yrs and stick the knife in the back of those who gave you a chance so you can make a small fortune ??

You haven't read the book, have you? You're bellowing about what it is and isn't, and, you haven't even read it.

Raptor, you're an intelligent person...except when you go into knee-jerk reaction mode when someone criticizes the President or the administration on anything other than spending. Then it's like a whole other person is talking.

If the identical types of information came out about Hillary, what would the discussion be on this topic? Can we just rearrange the poster's names and leave the posts unchanged, or would it be materially different?

You haven't read the book, have you? You're bellowing about what it is and isn't, and, you haven't even read it.

All the Bushes who worked with SM talk about what a loyal, great guy he was in the White House.How he was one of the Texas boys. They are "shocked"

Why is it that just because a guy publishes a book about something, he must not be credible? If he thinks these things are important for people to know, what's he supposed to do, jot it down on legal pads or keep it in his diary?

Seems like this exact type of tell-all book runs in the family. Here is a quote from MSNBC.

McClellan’s father, Barr McClellan, was an attorney for the National Labor Relations Board and then for the Federal Power Commission under Democratic President Lyndon Johnson. Barr McClellan also wrote a book about power and Washington: “Blood, Money & Power: How LBJ Killed JFK.” Published in 2003, the book claims that Texas attorney — and McClellan’s former boss — Ed Clark masterminded the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Kind of wierd! :blink:

If the identical types of information came out about Hillary, what would the discussion be on this topic? Can we just rearrange the poster's names and leave the posts unchanged, or would it be materially different?

You could rearrange the posters names for the most part. And one or two would be MIA in the discussion.

BTW, what does it have to do with Bush's credibility? I have no love for Clinton or his shrew, but what he does or doesn't do is irrelevant.

Oh, but if a former press secretary, that may or may not have an ax to grind, says it, what he says is the gospel truth?

Oh, but if a former press secretary, that may or may not have an ax to grind, says it, what he says is the gospel truth?

Huh? All I was pointing out is the fallacy of saying "well so and so did it too!" as a response to someone you like being accused of something.

But on the subject of the press secretary, I watched him interviewed on the Today Show this morning. He doesn't strike me as someone with an axe to grind or as a liar. In fact, I found him quite believable and it merely confirmed things I've been thinking to myself for a while. I think it's funny that you're so willing to dismiss it simply because you don't like what it says.

I think I'll pick up the book at WallyWorld today so I can actually read what he says instead of just reacting to whatever the right wing or left wing pundits are saying about it.

Maybe this would've cleared up Titan's post for AU alum:

RED HERRING ALERT!!!

He should have given up his position at the White House and made the case back when he "says" this all happened. I think there's less truth to this and more about the real meaning here......Ben Franklin and his dead president buddies.

I'm sure there are bits and pieces of truth to this statement. It changes nothing now! We MUST WIN THE WAR and end it on OUR TERMS!

FINISH THE JOB! We are doing great things over there right now, and we must finish it the right way.

He should have given up his position at the White House and made the case back when he "says" this all happened. I think there's less truth to this and more about the real meaning here......Ben Franklin and his dead president buddies.

Ah yes, "he's in it for the money" simply because he chose to write and publish a book rather than just keep it all to himself. Weak sauce. Sorry, but I'm past listening to the boilerplate canned responses to criticism of this administration's decisions. Before even one response came out to this book I was already formulating the typical response I knew was coming. The word "disgruntled" would make an early appearance. Then people would question the timing and insinuate it's about money and/or fame. His role would probably be belittled. By and large, it's played out exactly how I knew it would because it's virtually the same script that everyone uses whether it's the Clinton administration or the Bush administration.

But if Scott is anything like other people who are disillusioned with things that have happened with this administration over the last 5-6 years, it's not a conclusion you come to right when you first hear information that you may not agree with. I saw his interview this morning. While he had his doubts on the lead up to the Iraq War, he gave the benefit of the doubt at the time to the President and his foreign policy team. It's only after time and more and more info coming out and reflecting on those meetings and what he knew that he is able to come to conclusions.

I think these arguments about what he "should have done" back in the thick of it when his views were different and he had less information and time to think through all the implications ring hollow. Frankly, they sound desperate to defend something based on ideological kinship rather than honest reflection or principled thought.

I'm sure there are bits and pieces of truth to this statement. It changes nothing now! We MUST WIN THE WAR and end it on OUR TERMS!

FINISH THE JOB! We are doing great things over there right now, and we must finish it the right way.

Where is Scott McClellan making any argument that we should do otherwise? Jump to conclusions much?

Did I STATE any connections to McClellan???? NO!

Maybe you should switch meds. It was MY addition to the statement.

Chill.

As for the book....

IF McClellan isn't in it for the money, why didn't he just come out and spread his take on things through the VARIOUS media outlets across this land? Answer that one?

Whether it's Bush, Clinton, Obama, etc., people like this (McClellan) are ALWAYS looking for a way to fund their accounts. Cases like this are rampant in our society these days. It's what SELLS!

Did I STATE any connections to McClellan???? NO!

Maybe you should switch meds. It was MY addition to the statement.

Chill.

It was just so random on the heels of the discussion of McClellan's book.

What did I say that suggests I need to chill?

Archived