JPW as a Top 5 QB?

Duder

In order for JPW to become one of the first 5 QB's drafted, he would have to produce a steller season. The pros will look at his previous seasons and devalue him for such.

If JPW is in the top five seniors in that list, he better hope Tebow and Stafford don't come out early.

*How many bama fans would rather have burns or todd at the helm this year? now be honest...this ain't church ;)

I'll take JPW over both of them.

You're either dumb or a liar.

They are rolling 5 deep again at the RB spot.

Hey, if you are going to rag on any position at Bama, it should be about any of them other than RB. Hell, we have some awesome kids coming in at that position, though unproven. But the unproven part shouldn't bother any of you, Burns and Todd are the bestest ever.

Yeah, and Jimmy Johns is better than Darby. :rolleyes: It looks like more of the same at RB for UAT to me.

*How many bama fans would rather have burns or todd at the helm this year? now be honest...this ain't church ;)

Hey, if you are going to rag on any position at Bama, it should be about any of them other than RB. Hell, we have some awesome kids coming in at that position, though unproven. But the unproven part shouldn't bother any of you, Burns and Todd are the bestest ever.

Yeah, and Jimmy Johns is better than Darby. :rolleyes: It looks like more of the same at RB for UAT to me.

How is the depth at QB at auburn? I've heard that Todd has been hampered by a significant shoulder injury, is this true?

How is the depth at QB at auburn? I've heard that Todd has been hampered by a significant shoulder injury, is this true?

I wouldn't say its significant, but it has slowed him a good bit in Spring. He'll be back 100% by preseason practice which would make the QB race that much harder to decide. Franklin has mentioned that if Todd is healthy, he fully expects him to be good enough to win the starting spot. I don't think it will matter too much, considering we'll run a virtual 2 QB system this year.

Ryan

I wouldn't say its significant, but it has slowed him a good bit in Spring. He'll be back 100% by preseason practice which would make the QB race that much harder to decide. Franklin has mentioned that if Todd is healthy, he fully expects him to be good enough to win the starting spot. I don't think it will matter too much, considering we'll run a virtual 2 QB system this year.

Ryan

From what I understand, you will need every QB you can take to run the spread in the SEC. Who are the backup QBs?

Well, even though I know you know the situation with Todd, yes he has been hampered, and he's STILL better than JPW.

Ryan

From what I understand, you will need every QB you can take to run the spread in the SEC. Who are the backup QBs?

Ah, I see.

Caudle is the next viable choice, if we consider Todd and Burns as "co-starters." Franklin was quick to declare Caudle the 3rd string guy, even though I don't think his performance was too bad. Caudle is average at the moment. He's had his problems but he got better as the spring progressed, and he's probably a better passer than Burns is right now. I wouldn't feel terrified with Caudle as QB, mainly because I think this offense will be easier to run for most QBs than a traditional one.

At the moment, Furr is 4th string, way way way 4th string. He's the guy of the future for sure, considering he can run even better than Kodi in some respects, and he's got a good arm. He just needs repetition and proper development - Furr's performance at A-day was just begging for a redshirt. Trotter will get a look, but he'll likely redshirt as well.

So that's it. Overall, I'm not worried. Having a 2 QB system is good for keeping your guys more or less healthy. Todd/Burns or Burns/Todd will get 90% of the PT, with Caudle getting some meaningful reps against weaker opponents.

Ryan

^^^^ Any team on their 3rd string QB is in trouble. Caudle is a pretty damn good option if you ask me.

Caudle was a good QB coming out of HS. I haven't heard too much since. Has the knee kept him out of the rotation?

Stat wise, JPW will have the better year. Physically, JPW has it all. But, he is missing that leadership/mental toughness upstairs, imo. And that is something I don't see him just getting next year. He may though as some senior returning starters can get.

Stat wise, JPW will have the better year. Physically, JPW has it all. But, he is missing that leadership/mental toughness upstairs, imo. And that is something I don't see him just getting next year. He may though as some senior returning starters can get.

I'll add that I feel his biggest lacking is composure under pressure. I revisited stats and they were surprisingly pretty good. I think he just makes the mistakes, and big ones, at the most horrible times. Sure it will happen on occasion, but he seemed pretty consistant by screwing up in a crunch.

I'll add that I feel his biggest lacking is composure under pressure. I revisited stats and they were surprisingly pretty good. I think he just makes the mistakes, and big ones, at the most horrible times. Sure it will happen on occasion, but he seemed pretty consistant by screwing up in a crunch.

Ummm........ Miss State? :roflol:

Thus, he is following the uat qb "tradishun".......

Ummm........ Miss State? :roflol:

Yes. He also fell apart against LSU which surprisingly was a winnable game for UAT other than the JPW collapse. Against Houston, it was his INT that allowed UH to have a chance to win it in the end. When pressured to perform due to lack of a running game in the ULM game, he couldn't step up. Against us, Cox handed UAT at least an easy three points by giving UAT the ball deep in our territory. Immediately, JPW decided he'd return the favor. The difference in the score was possibly there. It just seems all the close (W or L) games were closer than they should have been thanks to JPW.

I hope it continues, but I foresee other QBs getting a chance sooner after his screw-ups this year.

Whether the qb is Bcox or JPW, if he doesn't have a running game to keep the defense honest, poor receivers and inconsistent pass protection.....he will eventually have to either throw the balls away too quickly or try to make plays and get blamed for making poor decisions.

Only mobile Qb's have the option to scramble and add that dimension for the defense to have to account for.

Archived