Is Saban Preparing the bammies

Proud Tiger

Speaking to bama fans at a luncheon in Scottsboro Wednesday, Saban said:

"i wouldn't want to coach anywhere there weren't expectations but we've got to be realistic.

We expect to win a NC but we expect to go thru the obstacles it takes to get there.

Those are couple of big "buts". Is Saban trying to prepare the bama fans who expect him to perform near-term miracles?

Speaking to bama fans at a luncheon in Scottsboro Wednesday, Saban said:

"i wouldn't want to coach anywhere there weren't expectations but we've got to be realistic.

We expect to win a NC but we expect to go thru the obstacles it takes to get there.

Those are couple of big "buts". Is Saban trying to prepare the bama fans who expect him to perform near-term miracles?

uhm, i'm pretty sure CNS has been saying this since day 1. and yes, i think it is directed towards those who thought CNS will win the MNC in 08. i'm sure there are some of those out there, because i swear i saw some on some boards saying it would happen in 07. but there were usually a ton of people after that calling that person an idiot.

I'm confused- do you want him to say there won't be obstacles or to not be realistic?

He says to give it some time. I think he has made that his point the entire time, hense the "process."

What is the point of this thread? If that wasn't honesty, then you'd be calling him a liar for thinking his team had a realistic shot at a NC.

Every team has obstacles it must face.

I'm sure his attempts to be realistic will be well received by the delusional bammers. :lol:

I think Saban realizes they are probably going to have a 7 or 8 win season...maybe more, maybe less... and yes he is trying to be realistic about it and tell the bammers not to be calling assistant coaches in the middle of the night when they don't like the play calling.

Most of the bammers expected a national championship by now, so he is trying to put things in perspective for them so they can try to understand common sense.

I'm sure his attempts to be realistic will be well received by the delusional bammers.

We believe in the process, sir. This thread is great :rolleyes:

I'm sure his attempts to be realistic will be well received by the delusional bammers.

We believe in the process, sir. This thread is great :rolleyes:

The judicial process?

It is what it is...or...it was what it was...or something like that...Auight?

I think Saban realizes they are probably going to have a 7 or 8 win season...maybe more, maybe less... and yes he is trying to be realistic about it and tell the bammers not to be calling assistant coaches in the middle of the night when they don't like the play calling.

Most of the bammers expected a national championship by now, so he is trying to put things in perspective for them so they can try to understand common sense.

How do you speak for "most" of the bammers? Only a small percentage of us are on this board, and I truly doubt you know a majority of Bama fans, so how can you say what most of us have expected. I do not believe in any way shape or form that Bama fans have expected a national championship by now. Ya'll always say that we are not patient, how can you say that when we we supported Coach Shula for 3 years and most fans were willing to give the 4th year. He was not just losing games but also not growing as a coach, and we were his on the job training, and it just wasn't working out. At least we did not fire him in the middle of the season as some schools have done.

Actually, Bowden left because he thought/knew he would be fired at the end of the year, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good comeback! Also, he was at Auburn for six years OR longer than any Bama coach since Stallings (the only one that has lasted that long since Bear). Seeing as how we've had a total of three coaches since 1982 and you guys have had EIGHT, you have to just accept that you can't win that fight.

As for the topic at hand, I think most Bama fans I know are sobering up to the reality that they still have a long way to go before they're competing for SEC titles on the regular. BUT I'll also concede that most of those same people are MORE susceptible to getting caught up in hype than fans from other schools. If I talk to them in the down times of summer, when there's nothing to get them over excited, they'll say 7 wins. If I ask the same question the week after an upset, they're on the road to Atlanta, and then they get really upset when Bama drops the next one (or two) and falls out of contention.

I think Auburn fans are kind of the opposite. In the sober moments, most Auburn folks are quietly (or not so quietly) excited about the talent on hand and the schedule and the culture of the team. Most Auburn folks admit that we're a threat every single year, BUT catch an Auburn fan after that first loss? Oh Lord. The sky is falling. The world is ending. We might not even make a bowl game.

That's why I think Auburn fans are more patient. The good times are just moments we really really soak up for fear of the bad times coming. And Bama fans are impatient because these long, bad times are just the dark before the dawn (which is always always about to break).

Actually, Bowden left because he thought/knew he would be fired at the end of the year, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good comeback! Also, he was at Auburn for six years OR longer than any Bama coach since Stallings (the only one that has lasted that long since Bear). Seeing as how we've had a total of three coaches since 1982 and you guys have had EIGHT, you have to just accept that you can't win that fight.

As for the topic at hand, I think most Bama fans I know are sobering up to the reality that they still have a long way to go before they're competing for SEC titles on the regular. BUT I'll also concede that most of those same people are MORE susceptible to getting caught up in hype than fans from other schools. If I talk to them in the down times of summer, when there's nothing to get them over excited, they'll say 7 wins. If I ask the same question the week after an upset, they're on the road to Atlanta, and then they get really upset when Bama drops the next one (or two) and falls out of contention.

I think Auburn fans are kind of the opposite. In the sober moments, most Auburn folks are quietly (or not so quietly) excited about the talent on hand and the schedule and the culture of the team. Most Auburn folks admit that we're a threat every single year, BUT catch an Auburn fan after that first loss? Oh Lord. The sky is falling. The world is ending. We might not even make a bowl game.

That's why I think Auburn fans are more patient. The good times are just moments we really really soak up for fear of the bad times coming. And Bama fans are impatient because these long, bad times are just the dark before the dawn (which is always always about to break).

Actually I was talking about Zook at Florida. Seems like Florida had less patience than we do, but no one ever mentions that, and they did get a good coach in there and won a national championship.

Could you please explain this to PCChamp? :angry:

How do you speak for "most" of the bammers? Only a small percentage of us are on this board, and I truly doubt you know a majority of Bama fans, so how can you say what most of us have expected.

I just read poll results on a bama board this morning that I think is pretty representative of bama fans. The majority thought bama would be 10-2 in 2009. I think that is a good sample for "most.".

How do you speak for "most" of the bammers? Only a small percentage of us are on this board, and I truly doubt you know a majority of Bama fans, so how can you say what most of us have expected.

I just read poll results on a bama board this morning that I think is pretty representative of bama fans. The majority thought bama would be 10-2 in 2009. I think that is a good sample for "most.".

Come on how can you say that the people that are on the boards can possibly represent all the fans of any University. How many members are on the boards...........if you were to say 1,000, that is a small portion of our fan base, 1/92,000th(just a figure) I can say that I pray to be 10-2, but do I expect it ...no. I have watched several of the classic games shown on CSS recently, and they had from last year our Georgia and LSU games, and trust me it could have gone either way. We were truly in those games, so last year could(I said could) have been 9-4, which really sounds good except for that little LM game.

I just hate for anyone to say all or most Bammers feel anyway, because unless you have actually talked with every Bama fan, I just don't think you know. Doesn't it bother you when fans from other schools say things like ALL Auburn fans are rude when you go to their stadium, I hate when people say that about us.

I know that I have never been rude to a fan from another school, and I have not noticed any thing like that in our section, so I see that as several people that were not represented in the "ALL".

OK, I'm off the soap box now.

Come on how can you say that the people that are on the boards can possibly represent all the fans of any University. How many members are on the boards...........if you were to say 1,000, that is a small portion of our fan base, 1/92,000th(just a figure) I can say that I pray to be 10-2, but do I expect it ...no. I have watched several of the classic games shown on CSS recently, and they had from last year our Georgia and LSU games, and trust me it could have gone either way. We were truly in those games, so last year could(I said could) have been 9-4, which really sounds good except for that little LM game.

I just hate for anyone to say all or most Bammers feel anyway, because unless you have actually talked with every Bama fan, I just don't think you know. Doesn't it bother you when fans from other schools say things like ALL Auburn fans are rude when you go to their stadium, I hate when people say that about us.

I know that I have never been rude to a fan from another school, and I have not noticed any thing like that in our section, so I see that as several people that were not represented in the "ALL".

Dude !!!!!

Have you been to LSU or FL or BAMA?????

And you call us rude!

All those fans are rude to us, At Our place,

Much less at there house

Grow up

I'm good with your generalization point. I think it is completely fair to say "most Bama fans I know" or to say that Bama has earned the regional and national reputation of being really impatient.

Was Zook really fired mid-year? Somehow I don't remember that. I mean he was fired before the bowl game, but that is standard practice. Certainly not a typical "in-season" firing, and I wouldn't say that's a sign of impatience. I remember Charlie Strong coaching a bowl game where they got throttled, but I don't remember him coaching a regular season game. It's possible I guess that Zook just coached out the whip after being let go, but that seems even less likely. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall him being fired in-season.

Also, you can't have it both ways. Yes, you were close to wins against LSU, MSU, and UGA, but you were just as close to losses against Arkansas and Ole Miss (and I didn't see the bowl game). So could you have gone 9-4? Yeah. You could just as easily gone 4-9. You had a normal season where you got some bounces and didn't get others. That record is a good reflection of that team.

I'm good with your generalization point. I think it is completely fair to say "most Bama fans I know" or to say that Bama has earned the regional and national reputation of being really impatient.

yet, here some of you are on here telling us how stupid we are for not demanding that CNS be fired over these arrests. for once our fanbase is collectively being patient with a coach and giving him the benefit of the doubt, not having a knee-jerk reaction and giving him ample time to get things going. it seems anytime our fanbase tries to be patient about something we have a ton of rival fans trying to get us riled up about what the expectations of our team should be, etc. am i thrilled about all the arrests? no. am i thrilled about the attitude of our team last season? no. am i thrilled about losing to ULM? no. but i'm willing to give everything ample time to play out.

And you should. I think rival fans know that if we rattle you cage, you might just get antsy and kill another coach. I'm not completely sure that $aban is the long term answer, BUT I think Bama has to give him 4-5 years to find out. They can't afford not to b/c it was such a big coup to get him in the first place, and Ttown has been such a gravyard for coaches lately. Someone else pointed it out, but Bill Curry was the last guy to leave Bama and have any success later. That's tough considering the number of guys you've gone through.

I think it'll be interesting if this season plays out like I really expect it to: 8 wins (including the bowl game), 7th consecutive loss to Auburn, 4th in the West. THAT is when we'll find out if Bama fans are turning over a new leaf. We don't know anything yet.

I could talk about "reasons" for sabear to be FIRED for a very long time before I had to mention his lack of coaching ability. If uaters want someone of that "caliber" @ the head of their program...Fine by me.

I hope he gets a lifetime contract.

You guys are right. Allow me to clarify my previous post:

ALL bammers are idiots.

EVERY bammer worships Saban.

MOST bammers expected a national championship already.

SOME bammers post on message boards.

FEW bammers went to school there.

NO bammer is not back.

Better?

And you should. I think rival fans know that if we rattle you cage, you might just get antsy and kill another coach. I'm not completely sure that $aban is the long term answer, BUT I think Bama has to give him 4-5 years to find out. They can't afford not to b/c it was such a big coup to get him in the first place, and Ttown has been such a gravyard for coaches lately. Someone else pointed it out, but Bill Curry was the last guy to leave Bama and have any success later. That's tough considering the number of guys you've gone through.

I think it'll be interesting if this season plays out like I really expect it to: 8 wins (including the bowl game), 7th consecutive loss to Auburn, 4th in the West. THAT is when we'll find out if Bama fans are turning over a new leaf. We don't know anything yet.

i would be thrilled if we pulled off an 8 win season, regardless to whether we lose to AU or not. i think fans are willing to be more patient at this point because we know the potential of what CNS can do with a college team. his first year at LSU he lost to UAB, and people questioned him. but not for long. will it play out the same at UA? who knows. i think we should be as patient with everybody, because i believe in giving everybody a fair chance.

Dude !!!!!

Have you been to LSU or FL or BAMA?????

And you call us rude!

All those fans are rude to us, At Our place,

Much less at there house

Grow up

NO, I am not calling you rude. I asked if it did not bother you when some other fan said that and said ALL

Auburn fans are rude, and I said how I hated when it happens to us. Every school is going to have a few rude fans, and that may be the people that someone on a message board ran into, but he shouldn't say from then on ALL(Auburn,Bama,LSU..etc) fans are rude.

I never said that Auburn fans are rude at their statiums. I have never been treated rudely at an Auburn game, and if I had been, I hope that I would say a few fans treated me that way and not ALL Auburn fans.

yet, here some of you are on here telling us how stupid we are for not demanding that CNS be fired over these arrests. for once our fanbase is collectively being patient with a coach and giving him the benefit of the doubt, not having a knee-jerk reaction and giving him ample time to get things going. it seems anytime our fanbase tries to be patient about something we have a ton of rival fans trying to get us riled up about what the expectations of our team should be, etc. am i thrilled about all the arrests? no. am i thrilled about the attitude of our team last season? no. am i thrilled about losing to ULM? no. but i'm willing to give everything ample time to play out.

of course you are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt now. He's had one year and your paying him $4 Million a year. Those of us that live in alabama encounter you bama fans ever day. The VAST majority of them expected saban to perform a miracle and win the SEC LAST year. Yes, that's what most uat fans I encountered thought about uat and saban. Actually many fans were pointing to the 2007 season when SHULA was still there as that being "their year". They (uat fans in general) want instant success and that's why uat goes through so many coaches. None of them can deliver instant success and when they don't, they are shown the door, or realize the expectations there are WAY to extreme and unreasonable and they jump at the first opportunity to go to a better program. It's easy to say your being "patient" with saban after one year, but what about after the 2008 season if uat only wins 6-7 games again, or the next with similar results?

I guarantee you he's got less time in tuscaloosa to prove himself than shula got. IF after 3 years of continued mediocrity, he'll be gone or leave himself. That's what he does and that's what uat does. They eat their own. Then we'll start hearing the uat masses proclaim how much they hate saban and how overrated he was..etc... It's a pattern we've seen repeated MULTIPLE times over the years.

of course you are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt now. He's had one year and your paying him $4 Million a year. Those of us that live in alabama encounter you bama fans ever day. The VAST majority of them expected saban to perform a miracle and win the SEC LAST year. Yes, that's what most uat fans I encountered thought about uat and saban. Actually many fans were pointing to the 2007 season when SHULA was still there as that being "their year". They (uat fans in general) want instant success and that's why uat goes through so many coaches. None of them can deliver instant success and when they don't, they are shown the door, or realize the expectations there are WAY to extreme and unreasonable and they jump at the first opportunity to go to a better program. It's easy to say your being "patient" with saban after one year, but what about after the 2008 season if uat only wins 6-7 games again, or the next with similar results?

I guarantee you he's got less time in tuscaloosa to prove himself than shula got. IF after 3 years of continued mediocrity, he'll be gone or leave himself. That's what he does and that's what uat does. They eat their own. Then we'll start hearing the uat masses proclaim how much they hate saban and how overrated he was..etc... It's a pattern we've seen repeated MULTIPLE times over the years.

find one post i have ever made where i said i thought we would accomplish anything more than an 8 win season, if that in 07. i can save you alot of time and tell you i didn't. don't act like i was on here preaching that we would win a MNC last year and now i am toning it down. even a few posts back i stated

i would be thrilled if we pulled off an 8 win season, regardless to whether we lose to AU or not.

i have no reason to expect more until we have a couple of seasons in a row winning 8 or more.

Archived