1 Dawg arrested, 2 hospitalized over the weekend

runswithscissors

actually only one arrested, two hospitalized.......if a mod could please correct my error, thanks.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/metro/st...son_arrest.html

Athens — Two Georgia football players were suspended indefinitely by coach Mark Richt after a wild weekend in downtown Athens resulted in one player's arrest and two others being sent to the hospital.

Long snapper Jeff Henson, a junior from Gainesville, was arrested for public intoxication and urinating in public. He was booked into the Athens-Clarke County jail at 3:46 a.m. and was released on $750 bond at 10 a.m. Because Henson also was charged with DUI last November — he missed the Sugar Bowl as punishment — he was suspended indefinitely.

Junior safety Donavon Baldwin also was suspended indefinitely for his involvement in an unrelated altercation at a bar. Baldwin, who was already serving a one-game suspension because of a DUI arrest in January, was sent to St. Mary's Hospital after getting hit in the head with a beer bottle.

Freshman linebacker Marcus Dowtin also was treated at the hospital for injuries suffered in the same altercation. A release from the UGA sports communication office did not mention any penalties for Dowtin.

Certainly not the "norm" for a Mark Richt coached team. At least he stepped up and handled the situation immediatley. Good for him.

Looks like we will win the Pre-Season NC and the Fulmer Cup all in one year

I am leaving for the Beach for one week starting this morning, when I come back, I expect our players to put down the damn bottle of booz and start practicing so their fat asses stay in shape so they don't choke on national TV next year which they seem to do a good job doing every few weeks in most years

I like richt but he is paying the price for allowing his team to unleash its thug-like mentality on the field last year.

That one instance has nothing to do with what is happening now.

"It's ok, let's beat this dudes ass... Coach let us storm the field last year, so he'll be cool with it."

The fact is, no matter how much you lecture certain individuals, they will just be knuckleheads. They don't get it. It's not exclusive to UGA by any means.

I am leaving for the Beach for one week starting this morning, when I come back, I expect our players to put down the damn bottle of booz and start practicing so their fat asses stay in shape so they don't choke on national TV next year which they seem to do a good job doing every few weeks in most years

slink, I think the fulmer cup is safe in west alabama. They aren't about to give that up. They've already printed the t-shirts... :big:

Hey, when does the fulmer cup standings officially close anyway?

I like richt but he is paying the price for allowing his team to unleash its thug-like mentality on the field last year.

"It's ok, let's beat this dudes ass... Coach let us storm the field last year, so he'll be cool with it."

As much respect as I have for Georgia and all of my Georgia friends, I couldn't help but notice that the overall character and sportsmanship of the team seemed to erode last season. In many conversations I had with GA friends the phrase "Act like you've been there before" came up frequently by both parties. So just maybe the mindset is changing a little on the team. Maybe the seniors need to step in and tighten up the team a little.

slink, I think the fulmer cup is safe in west alabama. They aren't about to give that up. They've already printed the t-shirts... :big:

Yeah, they'll do whatever it takes to ring up number 14 over there.

Sigh...another NC for Bamar. What shall we ever do? What shall we EVER do???!!! :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

It seems now that the UGA alcohol related events are more than at Bammer. It is time for CMR to institute curfews. AU has them. Drinkin like that at the beginning of fall camp should be the biggest alarm of all....that is clearly a lack of focus from some players. CMR and the seniors better lay down the law. BTW this comment would be wasted on Bammers fans...it was all of last year.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Errrr, uhhhh. How you could come up with that statement based on what I said is confusing. That on field incident was just the beginning of what appeared to be a mentality shift that seemed to be a bit of "unleashing" of the showboating/thug mentality of the players. It carried thru the season. Now, in the off season they are racking up arrests like they were gewtting paid large sums of money to do so. Are the two connected? I think so. Maybe they're not. For you to blindly declare that they are not possibly connected is silly to me. I suppose it could be an awfully huge coincidence.

Quick Question:

Has UGA started practice? This article was from Saturday, so I'm assuming that means it occurred Friday night / Saturday morning. If the players reported Friday, would they have not been on curfew? Did they not have practice Saturday?

We have these types of incidents EVERY YEAR. Heck, we have had LESS this year than in most of the previous years. Granted, no rapes/murders but a lot of public intox garbage

I don't think the stuff in the 2nd half of the year has anything to do with the current events

Let's not forget that 2 people in this mess just got hit in the head with bottles and were treated for injuries....not arrested or anything. Dowtin and Baldwin I believe

Quick Question:

Has UGA started practice? This article was from Saturday, so I'm assuming that means it occurred Friday night / Saturday morning. If the players reported Friday, would they have not been on curfew? Did they not have practice Saturday?

UGA has not started practice yet

Starts Monday

We have these types of incidents EVERY YEAR. Heck, we have had LESS this year than in most of the previous years. Granted, no rapes/murders but a lot of public intox garbage

I don't think the stuff in the 2nd half of the year has anything to do with the current events

Let's not forget that 2 people in this mess just got hit in the head with bottles and were treated for injuries....not arrested or anything. Dowtin and Baldwin I believe

I hear you slink, but I think you are up to 8 arrested since the end of last season ,aren't you?

There is something to be said that we haven't had these kind of problems.

Either its the coaches, or the kind of players we recruit, or the community. I have no idea what it is, but its working - and I couldn't be happier.

I agree with southlink, that this happens everywhere - but it does seem to happen less with Tuberville.

I agree with Slink....i dont think the party at the end zone has anything to do with the players now.

Kids will be kids, they will do stupid stuff when no one is looking. Its CMR's job to course correct and point them back in the right direction.

Dewberry met with media after practice and apologized for his destruction of property at St. Mary’s Hospital early Saturday morning. He said anger has never gotten the best of him before.

He said he was upset that his two teammates had gotten hurt in a fight. As a result, Dewberry said he busted up some potted plants and a parking gate. He added that it will never happen again.

http://totaluga.com/news/articles/2008/8/4...-practice-notes

Note to self: Stay away from Dewberry if teammates get in scuffles

Archived