Dodd shows his bias again

BamaGrad03

I completely disagree with whoever said there needs to be consistency in the polls. There does not (and probably should not) be consistency in the polls early in the season. Why? The preseason polls (which shouldn't exist) are based on guesses. Educated guesses maybe, but guesses none the less. The in-season polls are based on results. We know the results of this one. Maybe Bama and Clemson work to prove this result wrong (Bama by losing multiple times and Clemson by winning), but until then, you have to trust what just actually happened. Why else would we play the games?

Alright, I know what I said sounded like after I read it. I said that there needs to be consistency. You're taking my point another way. I'm saying that if a bama beats a clemson does bama deserve to jump all the teams ahead of it? Bama was they only team to beat a top ten team so do they now deserve to be in the top 10? I'm not a fan of preseason polls. I don't believe they are very good and there are always huge differences in the final polls which tells you how much they are worth. This is a new season and I think that if teams win big games they should move up. If they lose they should move down. I'm just saying that you have to be able to justify moving the team that won up all those spots ahead of teams that also won in the current polls we have. It doesn't matter how much you like the polls or not, that is what they go by.

I agree we shouldn't jump everyone that was between us and clemson. I'm just saying if Clemson is in the top 25, we should be ahead of them.

I completely disagree with whoever said there needs to be consistency in the polls. There does not (and probably should not) be consistency in the polls early in the season. Why? The preseason polls (which shouldn't exist) are based on guesses. Educated guesses maybe, but guesses none the less. The in-season polls are based on results. We know the results of this one. Maybe Bama and Clemson work to prove this result wrong (Bama by losing multiple times and Clemson by winning), but until then, you have to trust what just actually happened. Why else would we play the games?

Alright, I know what I said sounded like after I read it. I said that there needs to be consistency. You're taking my point another way. I'm saying that if a bama beats a clemson does bama deserve to jump all the teams ahead of it? Bama was they only team to beat a top ten team so do they now deserve to be in the top 10? I'm not a fan of preseason polls. I don't believe they are very good and there are always huge differences in the final polls which tells you how much they are worth. This is a new season and I think that if teams win big games they should move up. If they lose they should move down. I'm just saying that you have to be able to justify moving the team that won up all those spots ahead of teams that also won in the current polls we have. It doesn't matter how much you like the polls or not, that is what they go by.

I agree we shouldn't jump everyone that was between us and clemson. I'm just saying if Clemson is in the top 25, we should be ahead of them.

agree. i've never understood this...

I agree that Bama should be ranked in the top 18-22 after the win over Clemson (solid game, by the way - very few mistakes and obviously good pre-game preparations). Clemson should fall to 20-25th or so (probably their worst game of the year, but it was a truely pathetic effort). NO college team anywhere NEAR the top-25 should have ZERO yards rushing, even if they're facing an NFL team.

That being said, yes, it also pissed me off that Clemson came in pre-season ranked ahead of Auburn after we beat them in the bowl game last year and both teams returned good talent. There is not much justice in the ranking system, and obviously you are just now figuring that out. Auburn fans (and others) have lived with that all of their lives.

I think bama should be higher than clemson, but it all depended on where they dropped clemson to. I haven't seen the polls yet, but I heard bama was as high as 13 in one of them. I thought that was a little too big a jump. I would think 15 at most because you have to justify them jumping the teams ahead of them. I think it's alright because of the 3 teams that lost ahead of them. So there are the extra spots they jumped. It's just hard for me to think that early in 2004 when Auburn beat LSU which was #3 I believe, they didn't jump into the top ten until after they beat Tenn. I like that they don't take these preseason polls as an absolute. It's good to see that you can move up if you're performance dictates it. I just hope this continues in the next couple of weeks if teams have big wins or losses.

Bamagrad, I completly agree with what you are saying. For ANYONE who would rank Clemson ahead of Bama this week, they are completely either biased or just plain dumb. Bama should be around 15 if you ask me, and Clemson should be UNRANKED. I think it is STUPID that someone like that (with an obvious bias for some schools) should get a vote. What a tard!

I think bama should be higher than clemson, but it all depended on where they dropped clemson to. I haven't seen the polls yet, but I heard bama was as high as 13 in one of them. I thought that was a little too big a jump. I would think 15 at most because you have to justify them jumping the teams ahead of them. I think it's alright because of the 3 teams that lost ahead of them. So there are the extra spots they jumped. It's just hard for me to think that early in 2004 when Auburn beat LSU which was #3 I believe, they didn't jump into the top ten until after they beat Tenn. I like that they don't take these preseason polls as an absolute. It's good to see that you can move up if you're performance dictates it. I just hope this continues in the next couple of weeks if teams have big wins or losses.

Yeah, 13 is too high. I got us at 16 right now but couldn't justify them moving much higher than that after one game.

Yeah, 13 is too high. I got us at 16 right now but couldn't justify them moving much higher than that after one game.

Thats all I was saying about the consistency. I'm fine that teams move around a lot at the beginning. I think it's a good thing. I just don't think they can be extremely drastic. I think moving up more than 10 spots is a little much.

All reasons why polls shouldn't come out until after week 4.

The problem with that is I think that voters, at least in the AP, will have their poll before the season and through the first couple of weeks. They won't frantically put one together after week 3 or 4. And if there was no starting point, do you really think the coaches would get it even close to right? They aren't able to watch any games but their own and maybe some opponents. I think that would make it worse than it already is.

Archived