If We Won the NC in 2004

Friedchickenman

Thinking back, if we had won, I think the top recruits would've started to come here even more often then they were before then. Al Borges offense worked, when it had elite talent like we did when we had Campbell, Cadillac, Brown, McNeill, Aromashodu, and Obomanu. Ever since that year we just haven't attracted the elite players, the players who coming out of high school want to win a national title. Call it sour grapes, maybe it is, but I just get the feeling that our program has been incredibly short changed by the system. Auburn has had 13 undefeated seasons in it's program's history, and only 1 recognized NC to show for it. I just have a hard time seeing us being 4-4 right now if we hadn't of had to switch our offense due to the lack of talent, hoping the gimmick spread would put us over the hump.

That being said, I'm always going to cheer for Auburn, as I'm sure everyone here will. The next few years, or maybe even the next decade or worse might not be that good for Auburn depending upon the events that happen. I'm willing to stick through it, but I can't help but feel so bitter about 2004, considering how few opportunities we've ever had to finally get over that hill and stand on top, and how that opportunity may never come again in my lifetime.

NEWS FLASH: Auburn has "Elite" offensive talent

QB: Kodi burns 4*

RB: Mario Fannin 4*, Ben Tate 4*

TE: Tommy Trott 4*

OL: Mike Berry 4*, Ryan Pugh 4 *, Lee Ziemba 4*, Tyronne Green(will be first day NFL Pick)

WR: Tim Hawthorne 4*, Chris slaughter 4*, Montez Billings 4*, Terrel Zackary 4*

What kind of "ELITE" talent do you want??????

the fact of the matter is if Auburn had an OC that was AVERAGE we would be 7-1 right now.... NO DOUBT about it........

if we get a capable OC, you will be amazed at what this offensive personnel can do.......

Also im tired of people saying the spread was a "gimmic" because we were getting out recruited........

so I guess Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida are getting out recruited to .... that is why they run the spread........

Its no secret QB's and WR's like playing in the spread.......

was it an incentive to implement the spread, YES.....

was it b/c TUBS was scared he was getting out recruited, NO.....

OL: Mike Berry 4*, Ryan Pugh 4 *, Lee Ziemba 4*, Tyronne Green(will be first day NFL Pick)

the fact of the matter is if Auburn had an OC that was AVERAGE we would be 7-1 right now.... NO DOUBT about it........

if we get a capable OC, you will be amazed at what this offensive personnel can do.......

Elite talent is a 5 star player. Campbell, Cadillac, Jacobs and Obomanu were 5 star guys coming out of HS. We have zero 5 star players on our offense right now. That's not to say that 4 star players don't turn out to be good players, but more times then not they're not the type of players that can take a game into their hands and win it for you.

Here's a list of 5 star offensive players in the SEC.

OT- Andre Smith- Bama- Notice how Alabama rushes for about 250 a game running the left side? He's pretty much the reason why.

QB-Matthew Stafford-UGA- Top QB in the SEC right now, just got done shredding LSU's defense.

QB- Tim Tebow- UF- Last years heisman winner, need I say more?

WR- Percy Harvin- UF- His favorite target, and probably the best WR in the SEC.

WR- Julio Jones-UA- Yeah I'm sick of the hype too, but he is a great freshmen WR.

WR- A.J. Greene- UGA- Having a ridiculous year as a freshman as well.

Another notable 5 star RB that graduated last year was Darren McFadden.

Interestingly enough, those 3 teams- Bama, UGA, and UF are the top of the SEC right now, just like Auburn was when we had the 5 star talent. Another thing to note about the 2004 team was that it also included Aromashodu (4 star), linemen that were all 4 stars or better, and Ronnie Brown (4 star).

Elite talent is a 5 star player. Campbell, Cadillac, Jacobs and Obomanu were 5 star guys coming out of HS. We have zero 5 star players on our offense right now. That's not to say that 4 star players don't turn out to be good players, but more times then not they're not the type of players that can take a game into their hands and win it for you.

Here's a list of 5 star offensive players in the SEC.

OT- Andre Smith- Bama- Notice how Alabama rushes for about 250 a game running the left side? He's pretty much the reason why.

QB-Matthew Stafford-UGA- Top QB in the SEC right now, just got done shredding LSU's defense.

QB- Tim Tebow- UF- Last years heisman winner, need I say more?

WR- Percy Harvin- UF- His favorite target, and probably the best WR in the SEC.

WR- Julio Jones-UA- Yeah I'm sick of the hype too, but he is a great freshmen WR.

WR- A.J. Greene- UGA- Having a ridiculous year as a freshman as well.

Another notable 5 star RB that graduated last year was Darren McFadden.

Interestingly enough, those 3 teams- Bama, UGA, and UF are the top of the SEC right now, just like Auburn was when we had the 5 star talent. Another thing to note about the 2004 team was that it also included Aromashodu (4 star), linemen that were all 4 stars or better, and Ronnie Brown (4 star).

That 2004 Auburn team was sick. Thats all you can say. What, 5 of the 11 offensive starters are in the NFL now. Pretty impressive.

That 2004 Auburn team was sick. Thats all you can say. What, 5 of the 11 offensive starters are in the NFL now. Pretty impressive.

I think its more like 10 of 11, with the center being the lone man out. I'll have to double check.

Disregaring your commentary (no offense- my opinions are shared by others already) and answering the question in the topic:

The only thing that would be different is just imagin the "spoiled jackass fans" as someone called them in another thread. If we had a NC in 04, they would be even worse, screaming even louder for CTT's head, and have more bretheren among them.

A few thoughts: the fans would be equally bitchy and spoiled. I don't think it's possible for Auburn people to sound any more self-entitled than they have this year.

The talent is there. I disagree that we don't have elite talent. We don't have first round talent, but most teams don't have first round talent. We do have NFL talent. Tyronne Green will be in the L next year. Berry, Pugh, and Ziemba (in that order) look like they have talent to follow him. If Tim Hawthorne ever learns where the sideline is, he gets great separation and shows pretty sound hands (despite the drop in the 4th last week). Robert Dunn will be the L next year. Tate, Fannin, and Smith all look like NFL running backs with their size/speed combinations. There's a lot of talent on that side of the ball.

Lastly, the Spread is a gimmick, especially as run by Tony Franklin. He runs a high school offense. Period. The offenses that are succeeding with the Spread are all mysteriously in leagues that play as much defense as the Golden State Warriors (that would be the Big 12 and the Big 10... Texas, Texas Tech, Mizzou, Kansas (to an extent), and Penn State are the only major conference teams piling up offensive numbers with that offense). Urban Meyer didn't get dumber when he moved to the SEC, but his offense's numbers plummeted pretty quickly. AU and UT both look like a joke running that offense. Oregon is inconsistent as hell (and always have been). The offense is a way for teams with less talent (I'm looking at you Texas Tech) or no running game (nice to see you Kansas!) to cover up their deficiencies. IF those offenses run into grown up defenses at any point, they'll suffer the same fate as the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

OC's around the country would KILL to have our talent on offense........

if we had an AVERAGE OC we would be 7-1 right now, seriously think about it.........

Arkansas, Vandy, and LSU would be wins......

it is not PLAYER talent, it is COACHING talent that we dont have.......

and yea we do have first round talent.......

--- as bad as he has played of late, Lee Ziemba will probally be a first rounder in 2 years

--- Mario Fannin has as much talent as Ronnie Brown, and Im not exagerating, he will be a

starting running back in the League

and this is for you FRIEDCHICKEN man.....

I guess Chase Daniel, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Colt McCoy arent "ELITE" in your book.......

3*'s , Cutler a 2*

I think its more like 10 of 11, with the center being the lone man out. I'll have to double check.

Mix, Aromashodu, Brown, Cadillac, Taylor, Duckworth, McNeill, Reddick, Obomanu, Campbell, and Wallace I think all are in the NFL right now from that squad (11 players).

I don't believe Wallace actually made a roster. I'm not sure about Duckworth either, but you can add Grubbs. I believe that was his first year starting. He went on to become a first rounder.

I think hell would still be frozen over.

Excuse me?

I think hell would still be frozen over.

Excuse me?

He meant to say hell will be frozen over the day uat finally bury the name "BEAR".

That's what I thought.... :rolleyes:

Archived