Exhibition Game

auburn97

I just wanted to hear from anyone who went to the game. It looks like Tay Waller can shoot! We all knew that but it looks like he may be even a little better than advertised.

I heard it was good all around. Nice improvement over losing to AUM in the exhibition season years past. This is how these are supposed to go. Waller sounds like the reald deal. I think there is another next Friday before the UGA game. If I can get to town in time I may go.

I went. As usual with Lebo's teams they gave good effort on the defensive end and no easy baskets. In previous years we have been handcuffed on defense by a lack of size (whether it be height or weight or a combination there of). This year we have 3 big guys that are good defensive players (Barber, Knox, Lett). I haven't seen enough of Aihe to say that for sure, but he will certainly be better and tougher than Heramb ever thought about - not to disrespect Heramb it's just the truth.

All in all our starters looked very good, and Reed contributed a lot of the bench. Knox gave some good rebounding and scores from in close off the bench. Really almost everyone looked good even the walkons. Aihe didnt have a good game, but only played 9 minutes. Larry Williams didn't shoot well.

Waller can definitely shoot. I don't think this was unexpected, so I don't know that he was better than advertised. One thing that will help him have a bigger impact on this team than maybe for another is our glaring lack of any outside shooting presence. For the past 2 years our best 3 point shooters were a F (Dollard in 2006-07) and a C (Prowell in 2007-08). You really need a shooter on the outside to stretch the defense for the inside game. Waller will probably be Vot's best friend. Tay just kinda has that basketball player feel about him. Not very impressive physically, but you know the guy can play.

Vot kinda had an off night and his foul shots were as ugly as I've ever seen from him, but he didn't play too many minutes either.

An unexpected positive was Tez Robertson's hot shooting. If he has really improved his shooting he is going to be a dangerous player against anybody. That has really been the only weakness in his game. Granted it could have been a hot night (and I'm sure it was to some degree), but still an improvement and if somewhat continues into the season will be huge. I love the way Tez plays and hope he continues to shoot well. I kinda feel a connection between these seniors because I'm also a 4th year student. They haven't had too great of careers on the court, but they're our players and there's no doubt they'll leave it all on the court every night. You can at least be proud of that. Hopefully this will be their year.

Here's the stats

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...2009/exh01.html

Just want to point out the night by our two starting guards (and take a look at Reed's stats too)

23 Robertson, Quantez.. g 6-7 4-4 3-4 5 5 10 0 19 5 0 1 2 31

24 Waller, Tay......... g 10-16 7-12 0-0 1 0 1 2 27 3 1 0 2 21

I mean that's like a perfect game by Tez. 6 for 7. 4 for 4 from 3. 3 for 4 from the line. 10 rebounds with 5! offensive. 0 fouls. 19 points. 5 assists. 0 turnovers. 1 block (which was Sweet btw). 2 steals. and 31 minutes.

That's unreal.

The 1st game is Friday at 7. It's against Missouri State who has been a quality team in a very tough conference for a while despite narrowly missing the NCAA tournament several times.

I went. As usual with Lebo's teams they gave good effort on the defensive end and no easy baskets. In previous years we have been handcuffed on defense by a lack of size (whether it be height or weight or a combination there of). This year we have 3 big guys that are good defensive players (Barber, Knox, Lett). I haven't seen enough of Aihe to say that for sure, but he will certainly be better and tougher than Heramb ever thought about - not to disrespect Heramb it's just the truth.

All in all our starters looked very good, and Reed contributed a lot of the bench. Knox gave some good rebounding and scores from in close off the bench. Really almost everyone looked good even the walkons. Aihe didnt have a good game, but only played 9 minutes. Larry Williams didn't shoot well.

Waller can definitely shoot. I don't think this was unexpected, so I don't know that he was better than advertised. One thing that will help him have a bigger impact on this team than maybe for another is our glaring lack of any outside shooting presence. For the past 2 years our best 3 point shooters were a F (Dollard in 2006-07) and a C (Prowell in 2007-08). You really need a shooter on the outside to stretch the defense for the inside game. Waller will probably be Vot's best friend. Tay just kinda has that basketball player feel about him. Not very impressive physically, but you know the guy can play.

Vot kinda had an off night and his foul shots were as ugly as I've ever seen from him, but he didn't play too many minutes either.

An unexpected positive was Tez Robertson's hot shooting. If he has really improved his shooting he is going to be a dangerous player against anybody. That has really been the only weakness in his game. Granted it could have been a hot night (and I'm sure it was to some degree), but still an improvement and if somewhat continues into the season will be huge. I love the way Tez plays and hope he continues to shoot well. I kinda feel a connection between these seniors because I'm also a 4th year student. They haven't had too great of careers on the court, but they're our players and there's no doubt they'll leave it all on the court every night. You can at least be proud of that. Hopefully this will be their year.

Here's the stats

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...2009/exh01.html

Just want to point out the night by our two starting guards (and take a look at Reed's stats too)

23 Robertson, Quantez.. g 6-7 4-4 3-4 5 5 10 0 19 5 0 1 2 31

24 Waller, Tay......... g 10-16 7-12 0-0 1 0 1 2 27 3 1 0 2 21

I mean that's like a perfect game by Tez. 6 for 7. 4 for 4 from 3. 3 for 4 from the line. 10 rebounds with 5! offensive. 0 fouls. 19 points. 5 assists. 0 turnovers. 1 block (which was Sweet btw). 2 steals. and 31 minutes.

That's unreal.

The 1st game is Friday at 7. It's against Missouri State who has been a quality team in a very tough conference for a while despite narrowly missing the NCAA tournament several times.

Thanks for the update. I knew I'd be able to find at least one person on this board that went to the game. I am mildly optimistic to see how this team can do. I'm hoping for an NIT bid but who knows. We definitely have some experience on the team to go with some juco talent. Let's play basketball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info mowegl. I'll be at the season opener against Missouri State the night before the Georgia game. Would be nice if we had a decent crowd. Should be some folks in town b/c of the early kickoff the next morning.

Archived