Well, at least Pat Dye likes him.

TigerGlide

I love Pat Dye, he's always gonna be the coach that I admired from childhood, but it's time for him to leave the decisions to others.

In short, in Chizik, they see a young Pat Dye.

They heard from Dye during this search. Behind the scenes, he raved about Chizik to the right people and helped sell him as the right man for the job.

Dye is Auburn's idea of a football coach. When he talks, important people there still listen.

Link

It's time for him to leave the decisions to others.

I doubt Dye made the decision. But, IMO he is the best HC we have ever had, so why wouldn't they at least ask for his opinions. I sure would.

I used to love him - until he cheated and ran our program and reputation in the ground. Then I especially stopped liking him when he continued to lurk in the not to distant background of Auburn football.

I used to love him - until he cheated and ran our program and reputation in the ground. Then I especially stopped liking him when he continued to lurk in the not to distant background of Auburn football.

I can't say I don't still like him. But the lurking in the background stuff is sure chipping away at that like. My admiration for him is sure less than it used to be.

I don't doubt that if we were still in the 1980's, the hiring of Chizik would have made a lot more sense. Unfortunately for Dye, it is no longer 1984, and therefore Dye's evaluation of football is grossly outdated.

Here's Dye's official comment. I posted the one that implicated him, I owe him the respect of posting his reply.

Dye bristled when asked if he had played any role in the hiring of Chizik. Someone familiar with the search said Dye's endorsement played a key role in Chizik's hiring.

"That's wrong," the former Auburn coach said. "I told Jay when he got started that I would stay out of this, that I didn't want any part of this. I told him nobody out there was better qualified than him to make this decision because it's his job. I told him he has more to gain and more to lose, and whoever he hires, he's got to make it right.

"I admire Dr. Gogue and the board for giving Jay (Jacobs) the freedom to go and hire the coach he thinks is best for Auburn. He had no interference and no input from anybody, including me."

However, Dye did say he thinks Chizik is "a heck of a football coach, a solid guy. There's not a finer individual, character-wise. ... But when his name came up, it shocked me. Totally. I really didn't know he was under consideration."

LINK

I guess I owe Pat Dye an apology.

Archived