Who are our Recruiters?

WaDE'05

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding of NCAA rules is that a team can have a maximum of 10 coaches on its staff (HC + 9 assistants). Strength and conditioning, grad assts., player development, nfl relations coord., etc. don't count as assistants, nor are they allowed to recruit. Of the 10 coaches on a staff only 7 are allowed to recruit on the road.

All indications point to Chizik, himself, being an "on the road recruiter". Taylor, Luper, Malzhan, Willis, Roof and Rocker have all been labeled as good if not excellent recruiters. I'm assuming this leaves Boulware on the outside as well as our last two hires. So, with these last two hires should recruiting prowess even be a priority considering how unlikely it is that either of these coaches would even see the recruiting road?

Of the 10 coaches on a staff only 7 are allowed to recruit on the road.

My knowledge of NCAA regulations isn't great, but if I remember off the top of my head that number applies to the amount of coaches that are able to go out at ONE time. Everyone on the staff can recruit.

Of the 10 coaches on a staff only 7 are allowed to recruit on the road.

My knowledge of NCAA regulations isn't great, but if I remember off the top of my head that number applies to the amount of coaches that are able to go out at ONE time. Everyone on the staff can recruit.

Thanks meta, after you posted I dug a little deeper and (although it was pretty tough to decipher from reading the bylaws and amendments) you are correct. The rules used to stipulate that only seven coaches could be on the road in any given week (Sun-Sat). So if seven coaches left on Monday and came back on Wednesday, an eighth coach could not leave on Friday. I think this lead to my misconception, because I believe under this rule many staffs would pigeonhole 7-8 guys into being their primary "road" recruiters. However, in 2005 it was changed and now any seven coaches can be gone at anytime, so long as only seven are gone. At least thats what I gathered after reading the rule. So, in short... this thread is worthless! Who started it, anyway? <_<

NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2 Division I-A Football.

There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches that may be employed by the institution in the sport of Division I-A football.

NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2.2:

Only those coaches who are counted by the institution within the numerical limitations as head or assistant coach may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. In addition there is a limit of 7 coaches ( including the head coach) who may contact or evaluate prospects off campus during any one calendar week (defined as Sunday through Saturday).

The actual NCAA rule.

NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2 Division I-A Football.

There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches that may be employed by the institution in the sport of Division I-A football.

NCAA Bylaw 11.7.2.2:

Only those coaches who are counted by the institution within the numerical limitations as head or assistant coach may contact or evaluate prospective student-athletes off campus. In addition there is a limit of 7 coaches ( including the head coach) who may contact or evaluate prospects off campus during any one calendar week (defined as Sunday through Saturday).

The actual NCAA rule.

I saw the same one with an amendment that allowed more than 7 to be on the road in the same week, so long as no more than 7 are on the road at the same time. I don't know its kinda hard to follow... here's the link.

Archived