I'm done with Randle

JordanHareJake

This is probably the only decision so far I really didn't agree with. We had NO chance with Randle, the initial "oh now he lists us" interest was nice, but we took it too far and wasted time and resources recruiting a kid we had no shot of landing. I wouldn't say Randle played us, he never hinted at anything that suggested he was seriously considering us...he even canceled his original trip, at which point we still went after him, then he listed his final three (LSU/Bama/Oklahoma) and we STILL tried to get him in for a visit and still recruited him.

I don't think we wasted time. We were recruiting other kids down in that area also and we're laying the groundwork so that kids next year and the year after that see our coaches faces and know we plan on being a factor in that area. It was time well spent, IMO.

As far as Randle, I don't think he yanked us around at all. He was a long shot. We were just rolling the dice a little and hoping lightning would strike once he got on campus. It didn't happen. But I get the distinct feeling that Bastrop ball players are the ones getting yanked around. There's something messed up about that coach and I think Randle's father sees it too.

I don't think we wasted time. We were recruiting other kids down in that area also and we're laying the groundwork so that kids next year and the year after that see our coaches faces and know we plan on being a factor in that area. It was time well spent, IMO.

How did it help us when all it did was piss off Bastrop's HS who is blatantly sending kids to LSU and was "challenged" on two kids he is supposed to deliver to LSU? The coaches could have visited that area and made their faces known without wasting time visiting Randle in home, wasting time trying to get him to visit, etc. Getting the initial contact with Randle was applaud-able, but we treating him like a kid who we had a legit chance of swaying when in reality we never did. The coaches are running around busting their asses off trying to save this class and in this situation it very much was a waste putting that much effort into a kid there was 0% chance of swaying.

How much time does it take when you're already down there talking to DeQuinta Jones, and are also on your way to seeing Emory Blake, to also talk to Randle? And Bastrop's coach is steering kids to LSU anyway. Whether we did nothing or did something that pissed him off, it's immaterial. Any kid we get out of there will be in spite of him, not because of him no matter what. So, no, I still disagree with you. It's not a waste of time and I like them giving it a shot. Hopefully on the next one where we're not coming in at the last minute such determination will make the difference. In fact, who knows how much our efforts may have already planted good seeds down there with some other kids that now know Auburn isn't going to settle. We will put ourselves out there to get the best.

I respect your take on things around here meta, so don't take my disagreeing the wrong way. I just don't see this as some massive waste. I think it will pay off for us going forward and really don't believe it hurt us with anyone. I just see that he's not coming, shrug it off and think, "Good effort. We'll get the next one. I like the fire you showed though."

How much time does it take when you're already down there talking to DeQuinta Jones, and are also on your way to seeing Emory Blake, to also talk to Randle? And Bastrop's coach is steering kids to LSU anyway. Whether we did nothing or did something that pissed him off, it's immaterial. Any kid we get out of there will be in spite of him, not because of him no matter what. So, no, I still disagree with you. It's not a waste of time and I like them giving it a shot. Hopefully on the next one where we're not coming in at the last minute such determination will make the difference. In fact, who knows how much our efforts may have already planted good seeds down there with some other kids that now know Auburn isn't going to settle. We will put ourselves out there to get the best.

Dude, we spent a LOT more time on Randle than just "Oh, we're here visiting Jones...lets talk to Randle as well." Randle called us off once (long after we talked with him BTW) and we STILL went after him, then he outright says we aren't in his final 3 but he will "still visit for fun" and we STILL continued to recruit him. We very actively recruited him and realistically wasted a lot of time and went nowhere. I'd rather have spent that time and gone after Pat Patterson if we wanted to chase a big-name WR.

Just so you two know, most here only listen to you two. You disagreeing is leaving a strange vaccuum in space that is creating a quandry for me. Who do I side with? What is the answer to Pi divided? I don't like this.

I have a mediumly reliable source (twice removed from the primary source) saying that Randle is on his way. I don't know how reliable this is, but maybe he is a late show rather than a no-show. Until he signs with someone, I don't really want to dog the number 2 player in the country if he is even sort of considering us.

This is probably the only decision so far I really didn't agree with. We had NO chance with Randle, the initial "oh now he lists us" interest was nice, but we took it too far and wasted time and resources recruiting a kid we had no shot of landing. I wouldn't say Randle played us, he never hinted at anything that suggested he was seriously considering us...he even canceled his original trip, at which point we still went after him, then he listed his final three (LSU/Bama/Oklahoma) and we STILL tried to get him in for a visit and still recruited him.

i disagree meta4. While we may not have had a chance at Randle, having your coaching staff visit a high school that is talent rich is never a bad thing. Trust me i'm sure the name Auburn was mentioned more than once in Randle's high school. Who knows some kid better than him may have been paying attention for next year. Chizik is trying to change the recruiting landscape, pissing a lot of coaches in the SEC off and having them restless at the same time. I love it. Before you build a road you had better build a good foundation. chizik laying a foundation in talent rich Bastrop so we can build a road in recruiting. Remember a school called Dillard?

I assume that all of us posting here are just like me: I haven't spoken with Randle about his choice of a college.

But our coaches have spoken with him in person. If they talked to him face to face and decided he was worth spending more time on, I trust their judgment.

I have a mediumly reliable source (twice removed from the primary source) saying that Randle is on his way. I don't know how reliable this is, but maybe he is a late show rather than a no-show. Until he signs with someone, I don't really want to dog the number 2 player in the country if he is even sort of considering us.

Some of the other blogs are also reporting he is expected to arrive today...I guess we'll see

Dude, we spent a LOT more time on Randle than just "Oh, we're here visiting Jones...lets talk to Randle as well." Randle called us off once (long after we talked with him BTW) and we STILL went after him, then he outright says we aren't in his final 3 but he will "still visit for fun" and we STILL continued to recruit him. We very actively recruited him and realistically wasted a lot of time and went nowhere. I'd rather have spent that time and gone after Pat Patterson if we wanted to chase a big-name WR.

How much time did we spend on Randle that wasn't worked into the recruiting of other players like Jones down there? It's not like he lives in Idaho where we had to go out of our way. I mean, do you have a ballpark figure that you know we spent on him that realistically would have produced better results with Patterson?

All I'm saying is, the staff decided to pick one WR and "shoot the moon" so to speak. Whether it was Patterson, Randle, or someone else really isn't that important. I just don't see where we obviously missed out on someone else here by going for Randle, especially when we had other business down in Bastrop and recruiting him can plant good seeds down there for the future.

I guess the only question I would have on whether we should have spent any time trying to get him to visit with us -

Did it keep us from going after other recruits? If the answer is no, I say "no problem".

His actions certainly did give the Bham Bammer media ammunition to make jokes about us and trash us as usual. Other than that, I can't fault Chizik and his staff for going after the best. You may not like Randall for the way he acted, but he is obviously one of the best at his position. I now hope he doesn't go to the dark side. Go LSWHO tigers. In the future, after CGC and his staff have built relationships, this effort with the best will pay off. I love their aggressive approach!

I'm not sure why Chizik wasted any time with Randle. IMHO has never coming to Auburn and he hasn't done any good with the H.S. coach. There is an 88 page thread on Randle on LSU TigerForum (and that's not a typo). Apparently Randle and his coach love all the publicity he is getting.

I'm gonna say this for the last time. You Bama hicks will never come into the Sportsman's Paradise and cherry pick our blue chippers. Ain't gonna happen, sport. This class will be the foundation of another juggernaut that will roll over the hapless War Eagle over the next few years. Better start mentally preparing for it. Chizik will have Auburn in the college football wilderness for the next five years.

I'm gonna say this for the last time. You Bama hicks will never come into the Sportsman's Paradise and cherry pick our blue chippers. Ain't gonna happen, sport. This class will be the foundation of another juggernaut that will roll over the hapless War Eagle over the next few years. Better start mentally preparing for it. Chizik will have Auburn in the college football wilderness for the next five years.

Name calling means so much when it is coming from worthless coon-asses.

Sportsman's Paradise. LOL!. aka, state about to be swallowed by the ocean. At least there's lots of fishing and gator and bird hunting.

I'm gonna say this for the last time. You Bama hicks will never come into the Sportsman's Corndog's Paradise and cherry pick our blue chippers. Ain't gonna happen, sport. This class will be the foundation of another juggernaut that will roll over the hapless War Eagle over the next few years. Better start mentally preparing for it. Chizik will have Auburn in the college football wilderness for the next five years.

FTFY

That is hilarious, your great juggernaut struggled to beat the worse AU team in recorded history and your coach, team & fans look back and recognize that game as the greatest victory of the 2008 season.

And I'm going to say this for the last time. The next time we want your opinion on anything related to Auburn will be the first. Shut up. You've been reeling in blue chippers for several years now and you still lost to us every other year until this one. So you're not going to be rolling over anything except that week old pizza you made love to. If you want to talk smack, go to the Woodshed. Otherwise, keep your big yap shut in here.

having your coaching staff visit a high school that is talent rich is never a bad thing. Trust me i'm sure the name Auburn was mentioned more than once in Randle's high school. Who knows some kid better than him may have been paying attention for next year.

You see, this is what makes it a waste of time: any elite player from Bastrop is going to end up going to LSU if they have an LSU offer. The only coach who may have a shot at swaying a kid from there is Saban due to his LA ties, but as you can see even he looks to have failed with Randle. That school is far too hooked to LSU to bother wasting resources trying to "crack" it. As I said, we could have visited the area, spoken with Randle, spoken with Jones, gotten our name out ALL without chasing Randle around trying to get him to visit, then having him cancel, then trying to get him to visit again, then visiting him in home, then having him supposedly not show up again, etc.

Do you think Randle was using us to "play" with LSU? to say "You better be nice to me, see other people want me, bad"

No. LSU isn't stupid, they know how good he is. Randle was doing what any kid would do...take his visits and have fun with it. For what its worth I do believe that the reason why Randle has canceled/rescheduled/not shown up for his visit is because of pressure from his HS coach and possibly other people as well. Thats the problem with wasting time in these situations...even if you legitimately get the kids attention you have dozens of other people pushing him away.

hey Corndog thanks, now i know we will be well off in the future. Geaux to hell LSU!

having your coaching staff visit a high school that is talent rich is never a bad thing. Trust me i'm sure the name Auburn was mentioned more than once in Randle's high school. Who knows some kid better than him may have been paying attention for next year.

You see, this is what makes it a waste of time: any elite player from Bastrop is going to end up going to LSU if they have an LSU offer. The only coach who may have a shot at swaying a kid from there is Saban due to his LA ties, but as you can see even he looks to have failed with Randle. That school is far too hooked to LSU to bother wasting resources trying to "crack" it. As I said, we could have visited the area, spoken with Randle, spoken with Jones, gotten our name out ALL without chasing Randle around trying to get him to visit, then having him cancel, then trying to get him to visit again, then visiting him in home, then having him supposedly not show up again, etc.

I still don't see how this was some collosal waste of time. I mean, can you quantify with some educated ballpark guess as to how many days or hours we "wasted" simply talking to him and trying to get him to come? I mean, it just doesn't seem to me like we lost a ton of time here and I think it could pay dividends down the road despite your pessimism. For one, not every kid will get an LSU offer and two, not every kid will go to LSU no matter what. So what if all the 5-star kids end up being strongarmed into LSU if you can pick up a couple of kids every now and then in the 3 or 4-star range? And who knows, one of these times some kid's dad might just get so pissed at the coach he'll actually encourage the kid to go elsewhere.

Archived