What is a GREAT GRE score

CarolinaTiger

from the website sto cited:

GRE Score Reports

General Test

Three scores are reported on the General Test:

a verbal score reported on a 200-800 score scale, in 10-point increments

a quantitative score reported on a 200-800 score scale, in 10-point increments

an analytical writing score reported on a 0-6 score scale, in half-point increments

If you answer no questions at all in a section (verbal, quantitative, or analytical writing), that section will be reported as a No Score (NS).

so, a max score would be 1600 and some kind of add-on for the analytical writing score??

ct

When I took it in 1990, the conventional wisdom was that it depended on what you were planning to attend Grad School for - if you were going for an MBA or MPA or other liberal arts related field, verbal was more impt, with writing second. Engineering or math or related science type stuff - better have a kick butt analytical. Then there were "specialized" tests that I did not take - they were geared for and required for specific degree programs.

They've changed up the GRE general test since I took it in 1991.

It used to have verbal, quantitative and analytical sections...2 of each plus a field test section (mine was an extra analytical section). 30 minutes for each section, I think.

Each section was scored out of 800, so I would guess that anything over 2000 combined would be pretty kick-ass. When I applied to graduate school at Texas A&M, they only wanted the combined V + Q score, which was good news for me because those were my best two sections.

If I wanted to finish my master's, I'd have to retake the GRE because my scores are stale-dated.

Archived