30-4 and disappointung

Mikey

On the surface of it, there's nothing wrong with a 30-4 record. Helluva lot better than 4-30, I suppose.

But losing to Vandy twice, having two weeks to correct the problems that caused that, then getting stuffed in the tournament by the same triangle and two defense that Vandy used is weak.

There's a way to attack any defense. What did our coaches think? Opponents would be gracious and not copy Vandy? We wouldn't (shudder) run into the 'Dores at some point in the tournament?

Anyway, I've been a fan of Auburn women's basketball since back before Coach Champi came to the Plains. I remember when me, a few parents and the swimming team were the only people in the stands. I remember when there was one serious athlete, Auburn's Rita Clanton on the floor with nine girl-next-door types.

This year, Bonner was one of our all-time best. Boddie was as good as any point guard we've ever had. Both will eventually be WNBA All-Stars. Jackson and Hobbs were good, senior role players. Smalley would also be a starter on any other SEC team.

Yet we lose the SEC tournament championship and then get knocked out of the NCAA by an embarrassing 28 point margin in the second round. This should have been a final-four team.

My biggest problem is that I don't see it going anywhere but downhill from this point. There is no Bonner or Boddie waiting in the wings, and a team starting four seniors is rare.

Coach Nell, you shoulda' got it done this year. .500 in SEC play and praying for a first day bye in the SEC tournament will be lofty goals for next year.

And oh yeah: Yes, Rutgers got some calls and got some rolls tonight. So we should have won by only 8 or 10 points instead of the 20 most observers expected. Very disappointing.

On the surface of it, there's nothing wrong with a 30-4 record. Helluva lot better than 4-30, I suppose.

But losing to Vandy twice, having two weeks to correct the problems that caused that, then getting stuffed in the tournament by the same triangle and two defense that Vandy used is weak.

There's a way to attack any defense. What did our coaches think? Opponents would be gracious and not copy Vandy? We wouldn't (shudder) run into the 'Dores at some point in the tournament?

Anyway, I've been a fan of Auburn women's basketball since back before Coach Champi came to the Plains. I remember when me, a few parents and the swimming team were the only people in the stands. I remember when there was one serious athlete, Auburn's Rita Clanton on the floor with nine girl-next-door types.

This year, Bonner was one of our all-time best. Boddie was as good as any point guard we've ever had. Both will eventually be WNBA All-Stars. Jackson and Hobbs were good, senior role players. Smalley would also be a starter on any other SEC team.

Yet we lose the SEC tournament championship and then get knocked out of the NCAA by an embarrassing 28 point margin in the second round. This should have been a final-four team.

My biggest problem is that I don't see it going anywhere but downhill from this point. There is no Bonner or Boddie waiting in the wings, and a team starting four seniors is rare.

Coach Nell, you shoulda' got it done this year. .500 in SEC play and praying for a first day bye in the SEC tournament will be lofty goals for next year.

And oh yeah: Yes, Rutgers got some calls and got some rolls tonight. So we should have won by only 8 or 10 points instead of the 20 most observers expected. Very disappointing.

:homer:

AGreeee

:no:

i'm as disappointed as anyone, but the future is far from bleak. is 30-4 going to be the norm now? highly doubtful, but i honestly see us competing for the sec again next year.

yes we are going to lose A LOT of leadership for next year, BUT ali is back. she's started for 2 years and been a key player. hilliard and reneisha hobbs are both back and played key minutes for us (greenleaf is far from inexperienced as well) and if keke can get conditioned in the offseason, she'll be a force in the sec. we signed some pretty good players last year and this year we're bringing in the #4 pg and the #8 forward in the nation (both in the top 50 nationwide). not to mention getting courtney strain, who might be the best player this state has ever seen coming in in 2010

i'm as disappointed as anyone, but the future is far from bleak. is 30-4 going to be the norm now? highly doubtful, but i honestly see us competing for the sec again next year.

yes we are going to lose A LOT of leadership for next year, BUT ali is back. she's started for 2 years and been a key player. hilliard and reneisha hobbs are both back and played key minutes for us (greenleaf is far from inexperienced as well) and if keke can get conditioned in the offseason, she'll be a force in the sec. we signed some pretty good players last year and this year we're bringing in the #4 pg and the #8 forward in the nation (both in the top 50 nationwide). not to mention getting courtney strain, who might be the best player this state has ever seen coming in in 2010

I agree totally! Then ladies ended the season with a 30-4 record and people still want to complain. Fortner is putting together a great basketball team that will be good for years to come.

I'm very proud of what this team has done. They have set the foundation for future Auburn teams.

Thank you ladies! War Eagle!

This team is the foundation for great teams to come. It was hard to watch the game, but I see a bright future for the ladies. CNF will find recruiting a bit easier. Everyone will be talkin' about Keke if she gets into shape - what a force to reckon with!

Everyone will be talkin' about Keke if she gets into shape - what a force to reckon with!

Agreed, but that's a big "IF". Carrier was a fourth year junior this year and she's never been in shape. I see no reason to think a big change is coming at this point.

not to mention getting courtney strain, who might be the best player this state has ever seen coming in in 2010

Strain is undoubtedly the highest scorer this state has ever produced. Scoring lots of points at 2A Woodland is a long, long way from being a better player than, say, Auburn's Vickie Orr, Lo Freeman or Bonner. Then there's Tennessee players Jackson from Eufaula and that player from B'ham that wore #1 at Knoxville. I sincerely hope Strain proves to be better than any of these, but to assume she'll even be in the discussion with them is a huge leap at this point.

Yes, Hilliard, Re-Re Hobbs and others will be back. They have the ability to replace T. Jackson and S. Hobbs. They don't have the ability to replace Bonner and Boddie.

I've been accused of always looking at the world through orange and blue eyeballs, and that's true to a large extent. But sometime reality has to be addressed. This team's failure to win the SEC tournament, and its subsequent failure to reach the NCAA final four was major under-achievement. The tools for a serious run at the national championship were there this season. Recruits, wishes and hopes notwithstanding, the super players and experience needed to accomplish such things will be gone next year.

I hope you optimists are right, but I've been watching this women's basketball thing at Auburn for a long time now. This was a peak year and we should have done much better. The opportunity to achieve big things doesn't come around that often. WDE!

It was disappointing but when teams shoot god awful from the floor it doesn't matter what kinda of defense the other team runs.

It was disappointing but when teams shoot god awful from the floor it doesn't matter what kinda of defense the other team runs.

When the type of defense the other team runs causes the god awful shooting it certainly does matter. That's the purpose of a defense, to make the opponent shoot poorly. The triangle and two kept pressure on Bonner and Smalley, and we had not prepared the necessary options to attack that defense. Coaching....

When the type of defense the other team runs causes the god awful shooting it certainly does matter. That's the purpose of a defense, to make the opponent shoot poorly. The triangle and two kept pressure on Bonner and Smalley, and we had not prepared the necessary options to attack that defense. Coaching....

You certainly see the glass as 1/2 empty don't you? I happen to be VERY proud of what our womens team has accomplished, and I can see nothing but good happening for them! Apparently, CNF is up for some national awards, and recruiting seems to be going great guns.

Archived