EPA confirms tuscaloosa is a toxic waste land

RunInRed

No surprise here...

WASHINGTON — Millions of people living in nearly 600 neighborhoods across the country are breathing concentrations of toxic air pollutants that put them at a much greater risk of contracting cancer, according to new data from the Environmental Protection Agency.

The levels of 80 cancer-causing substances released by automobiles, factories and other sources in these areas exceed a 100 in 1 million cancer risk. That means that if 1 million people breathed air with similar concentrations over their lifetime, about 100 additional people would be expected to develop cancer because of their exposure to the pollution.

The average cancer risk across the country is 36 in 1 million, according to the National-Scale Air Toxics Assessment, which will be released by the EPA on Wednesday.

Parts of Los Angeles, Calif., and Madison County, Ill., had the highest cancer risks in the nation — 1200 in 1 million and 1100 in 1 million, according to the EPA data. They were followed by two neighborhoods in Allegheny County, Pa., and one in Tuscaloosa County, Ala.

People living in parts of Coconino County, Ariz., and Lyon County, Nev., had the lowest cancer risk from air toxics. The counties with the least toxic air are Kalawao County, Hawaii, and Golden Valley County, Mont.

"Air toxic risks are local. They are a function of the sources nearest to you," said Dave Guinnup, who leads the groups that perform the risk assessments for toxic air pollutants at EPA. "If you are out in the Rocky Mountains, you are going to be closer to 2 in a million. If you are in an industrial area with a lot of traffic, you are going to be closer to 1100 in 1 million."

The analysis predicts the concentrations of 124 different hazardous air pollutants, which are known to cause cancer, respiratory problems and other health effects by coupling estimates of emissions from a variety of sources with models that attempt to simulate how the pollution will disperse in the air. Only 80 of the chemicals evaluated are known to cause cancer, EPA officials said.

The information is used by federal, state and local agencies to identify areas in need of more monitoring and attention.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528824,00.html

Tuscaloosa actually used to be wayyyyy worse. The 2004 closing of a nearby Coke plant has reduced area cancer deaths by 92%.

Tuscaloosa actually used to be wayyyyy worse. The 2004 closing of a nearby Coke plant has reduced area cancer deaths by 92%.

Thank you DR Crimson :poke: , I'm sure your research study is dead on! :roflol:

I told you that Bahr was dead.

I actually picked that up by reading a newspaper.

Jealous that I can do that? It's quite the skill.

And didn't US News & World Report just name Auburn as one of the top 10 places to live a week or so back? Nice contrast.

Great place to live, maybe. But I got 19 reasons why it's not a great place to play football.

His 2004 SEC Championship ring says different. Of course, if my team and coach had as much trouble as yours do winning there, I'd think so too.

Then again, you don't beat us much in Superfund, AL either.

His 2004 SEC Championship ring says different. Of course, if my team and coach had as much trouble as yours do winning there, I'd think so too.

Then again, you don't beat us much in Superfund, AL either.

Yeah the coach in tuscaloosa has two sec championship rings that he got while calling the shots...not assisting.

Yet he's still never won in Auburn. In four tries. With two different schools. So I fully understand why you'd feel it's not a good place to play football.

But back to the original subject,

Auburn - Top 10 place to live in the US.

Tuscaloosa - Top 5 place to get cancer from crappy, toxic air.

And neither was determined by biased fanboys of either school.

Yet he's still never won in Auburn. In four tries. With two different schools. So I fully understand why you'd feel it's not a good place to play football.

But back to the original subject,

Auburn - Top 10 place to live in the US.

Tuscaloosa - Top 5 place to get cancer from crappy, toxic air.

And neither was determined by biased fanboys of either school.

I just don't understand, as a resident of the state of Alabama, why you'd be excited about bad news for the state. Your hatred of a university football team should have no bearing on how you feel about a city.

I'm not excited about it. I wish in fact that you folks would quit giving the state a black eye. I'm just pointing out that independent sources are confirming what we've known along.

I actually picked that up by reading a newspaper.

Jealous that I can do that? It's quite the skill.

Well you being able to read anything but Wal Mart sale paper is a surprise.

Were all the flea markets closed? :poke:

I'm not excited about it. I wish in fact that you folks would quit giving the state a black eye. I'm just pointing out that independent sources are confirming what we've known along.

You folks? Alabamians? Again, we're talking about a CITY...not the university.

Yeah, you folks. Auburn fans don't live there unless they absolutely have to. We avoid it like the plague.

Yeah, you folks. Auburn fans don't live there unless they absolutely have to. We avoid it like the plague.

You're on crack. It's the 5th largest city in the state. There's Auburn fans there.

You're on crack. It's the 5th largest city in the state. There's Auburn fans there.

A. You really aren't very good at this Woodshed stuff when it hits too close to home.

B. I know there are Auburn fans there. The vast majority are only there because they had the misfortune of growing up there (and thus all the family is there) or their jobs more or less keep them there. Otherwise, Auburn fans don't live there by choice.

Archived