Vol was the victim of Auburn chop block

AUdaREALsecTigers

WarTiger:so you were taught illegal technique? That's illegal in high school football. Blocking below the waist (in high school football) is illegal except in VERY, VERY strict circumstances. If you were cutting people after you pulled, AND taught to do this?? wow. ILLEGAL. bet you got flagged a lot for it too...

This was not in the last 2 decades ;) ,but i havent understood this rule in high school since it was activated....you can cut at the college level...but not high school? Stupid...wont be long before football as we know it turns into ballet.

WarTiger:so you were taught illegal technique? That's illegal in high school football. Blocking below the waist (in high school football) is illegal except in VERY, VERY strict circumstances. If you were cutting people after you pulled, AND taught to do this?? wow. ILLEGAL. bet you got flagged a lot for it too...

This was not in the last 2 decades ;) ,but i havent understood this rule in high school since it was activated....you can cut at the college level...but not high school? Stupid...wont be long before football as we know it turns into ballet.

I've been associated with football officiating for 22 years. In the 17 years I've actively officiated high school football, blocking below the waist has always been illegal. The ONLY time blocking below the waist is legal is if ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET (Note the word ALL): 1. They are a lineman on the line of scrimmage at the snap. 2. the block is done on their initial charge (if its not the initial movement its illegal) 3. the lineman are in the free blocking zone at the snap 4. the ball is in the free blocking zone. If ANY of these elements aren't present, then the block below the waist is illegal (in high school football).

Remember a few weeks ago when we lined up in a formation with Ziemba out WIDE??? In high school if he blocks below the waist out there, its a penalty. He's not in the free blocking zone at the snap...

Archived