Athletes vs. NCAA

Rocket City Tiger

Tyrone Prothro joined a class action lawsuit vs. the NCAA for likeness usage. To me, I just don't see the suit going anywhere...and what are the former athletes expecting? Do they expect a big payback when this suit would cover thousands and thousands of people? I can see expecting some compensation for usage of your image in a painting someone sells (although I think Tiger Woods lost a similar suit about 5 years ago).

Personally, I don't see the NCAA as a big corporation that is making this big profit. They're not GE or Dell or DuPont. Most of the money that the NCAA takes in goes right back out to schools (benefitting the athletes).

mash on

I hope the players win. Good for them

Everyone and their mother knows the NCAA games are using their likeness.

How about being grateful for the opportunity? So, Prothro wants some cash because his name was used in a commercial promoting a game he was going to play in. How petty do you have to be?

So, Prothro wants some cash because his name was used in a commercial promoting a game he was going to play in. How petty do you have to be?

Not petty in the least

My feelings are that taking a college scholarship is more than enough payment. I know of people that will be paying off student loans for a decade or more. These kids are given free rides, food, rooms, clothing... I'd say the value of a scholarship for an SEC football player is easily $200K (more if they redshirt).

While I understand the issue some of these players have with this, they've already been compensated for that. It's called a Free ride through college. That's enough. Then it goes on to specifically say that prothro is unemployed? Please. It's been nearly 5 years since that injury. I get the complications and more surgery could be necessary, but go get a job. Surely he's capable of working. Sounds to me like he is wanting nothing more than a post collegiate "free ride".

My feelings are that taking a college scholarship is more than enough payment. I know of people that will be paying off student loans for a decade or more. These kids are given free rides, food, rooms, clothing... I'd say the value of a scholarship for an SEC football player is easily $200K (more if they redshirt).

I agree 100%. I understand that a college athlete spends many hours on their sports. But, earning a free ride....thats worth a ton. I for one will be paying student loan for a while, be content earning a scholorship and being able to play for a top notice school. This subject pisses me off.

While I understand the issue some of these players have with this, they've already been compensated for that. It's called a Free ride through college. That's enough. Then it goes on to specifically say that prothro is unemployed? Please. It's been nearly 5 years since that injury. I get the complications and more surgery could be necessary, but go get a job. Surely he's capable of working. Sounds to me like he is wanting nothing more than a post collegiate "free ride".

Prothro did graduate and earned a degree. If he is unemployable due to his education then that is the fault of the University of Alabama. If it's due to his injury then he is suing the wrong people.

If he is like alot of other Americans and just screwed atm, I feel for the guy.

Archived