Glen Coffee retires

Nay4AU

The "Christian" thing and also the honest thing for him to do is pay back his signing bonus, with interest. Lets see how that pans out before we start praising Coffee.

There's a good possibility that Singeltary's camp was a bit too hot for the lad and he thinks he'll find the study halls at UAT quite a bit cooler. In the meantime, $828,000 is a nice fund to finance your start in life.

If this story has not already been posted. I have nothing but respect for this guy.

He is not going through the motions and just collecting a paycheck.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/full_story_glen_coffee_explain.html

Oh and for those that say I am jealous of Saban and thats why I am hater, if he had Coffee's character you would never hear a peep from me.

I have nothing but respect for this guy.

I'll start respecting him if/when he pays the signing money back. Until then he's just a guy that took some money to do something and then decided not to do it and is keeping the money anyway.

In some circumstances that gets you in jail, in other circumstances it gets you shot, but in all circumstances it makes you a crook.

I'll start respecting him if/when he pays the signing money back. Until then he's just a guy that took some money to do something and then decided not to do it and is keeping the money anyway.

In some circumstances that gets you in jail, in other circumstances it gets you shot, but in all circumstances it makes you a crook.

I have been waiting to see when the negativity about Coffee's retirement from the NFL would surface and it is here in the form of Mikey.

I have been waiting to see when the negativity about Coffee's retirement from the NFL would surface and it is here in the form of Mikey.

But he's ONLY being negative because Coffee played for Bama. If it was an Auburn player, the tune would be different.

But he's ONLY being negative because Coffee played for Bama. If it was an Auburn player, the tune would be different.

Not in this case. I've seen people walk out on a spouse and two kids because "The Lord told me to" when a few years later all you can see is they wanted freedom to sleep around.

I've seen college kids take the tuition money their parents sent and go on an alleged mission trip to the Bahamas with it "Because God told me to" when in fact they had hidden the fact that they were flunking out from their parents.

Murderer's row in the prisons is full of convicts who "found Jesus" in an effort to avoid execution.

"People walkin' up to ya'

Shoutin' halleuah

Then they try to sock it to ya'

In the name of the lord"

I'll believe Coffee is sincere when he pays the signing bonus money back. If he doesn't pay it back, he's a liar and a crook and he's using the tired excuse of religion to hide those facts.

How can he say he is retiring--after only being there for one year. If I retired from my job after one year--it is calling quiting. I hope this is a higher calling and he make something good out of it.

Not in this case. I've seen people walk out on a spouse and two kids because "The Lord told me to" when a few years later all you can see is they wanted freedom to sleep around.

I've seen college kids take the tuition money their parents sent and go on an alleged mission trip to the Bahamas with it "Because God told me to" when in fact they had hidden the fact that they were flunking out from their parents.

Murderer's row in the prisons is full of convicts who "found Jesus" in an effort to avoid execution.

Shoutin' halleuah

In the name of the lord"

I'll believe Coffee is sincere when he pays the signing bonus money back. If he doesn't pay it back, he's a liar and a crook and he's using the tired excuse of religion to hide those facts.

Has the 49ers said he has to pay the bonus back?

I think this is the key question. I believe the Niners can ask for about $600k of that money back from what I read. But he's not required to give it back. And I've seen nothing to indicate he wouldn't pay it back if they asked.

If they talk and the team ends up saying they aren't going to seek repayment, I don't see it as a character flaw if Coffee keeps it. That's between him and the Niners to work out.

Shoutin' halleuah

In the name of the lord"

It does not matter. This is an AU board; thus, he's automatically guilty unless proven more guilty...

It does not matter. This is an AU board; thus, he's automatically guilty unless proven more guilty...

Apparently the whole board is guilty until proven more guilty in your book. Did you even notice that the Auburn fan who started the thread and commended Coffee's decision and every AU fan except for one was supportive?

Pot, meet kettle.

I can see where some of you are coming from, but you have to look at the business side of things - and not the business you are used to. Players in the NFL have very little leverage, and their guaranteed money comes from signing bonuses. As the article stated, the 49'ers can ask for it back. The 49'ers can also cut some other guy and not pay him one more cent of a 'contract' that they signed. He played for a year and I think he contributed pretty well, 800K + his salary isn't a ridiculous payout for a football player.

I think this is the key question. I believe the Niners can ask for about $600k of that money back from what I read. But he's not required to give it back. And I've seen nothing to indicate he wouldn't pay it back if they asked.

If they talk and the team ends up saying they aren't going to seek repayment, I don't see it as a character flaw if Coffee keeps it. That's between him and the Niners to work out.

What he said.

Apparently the whole board is guilty until proven more guilty in your book. Did you even notice that the Auburn fan who started the thread and commended Coffee's decision and every AU fan except for one was supportive?

Pot, meet kettle.

I'll just say ditto since by first reaction was to bitchslap the bammie from UAT.

I thought the current buzz is "WWJD". What Would Jesus Do? I think Jesus would give the money back, since he backed out of the deal voluntarily to pursue other interests.

If Coffee is sincere, he'll give it back, the whole 800k signing bonus. If he doesn't give it back he's just another welsher trying to hide behind the guise of religion. It doesn't matter what the 49ers say about it, honest is honest and crooked is crooked. An honest person gives it back.

I thought the current buzz is "WWJD". What Would Jesus Do? I think Jesus would give the money back, since he backed out of the deal voluntarily to pursue other interests.

If Coffee is sincere, he'll give it back, the whole 800k signing bonus. If he doesn't give it back he's just another welsher trying to hide behind the guise of religion. It doesn't matter what the 49ers say about it, honest is honest and crooked is crooked. An honest person gives it back.

WWTFNSD (What will the forty niners do?)

The signing bonus is just that a bonus for signing. Designed to help the team stay under salary caps. If the 49's have no problems why would he give the money back? If they talk and the 49's want a portion returned then he has a decision to make.

He might. Of course, Jesus didn't seem to operate with a lot of cash anyway. However, if the employer told him he could keep it, He might instead use it for other higher purposes.

This is your standard, not God's.

Until God joins this forum and posts his standard I'll just have to guess what his standard might be. My guess is as good and anybody elses', right? :)

Until God joins this forum and posts his standard I'll just have to guess what his standard might be. My guess is as good and anybody elses', right? :)

Well, you didn't exactly sound like you were guessing.

That's debatable.

I tend to agree with Mikey. Its like a player coming in and playing sparingly for a year, then expecting his scholarship the next three after he quits.

I know we went back and forth with this with Durst and his scholarship promise, but your word is your word. He signed up to play and paid with the expectation to play. If he wants to keep the money, then play, otherwise give it back if you are going home. I think its a sign of a character flaw. Its not illegal, just dishonest. Should we also expect that the team get their money back if he got injured because he couldn't perform? Not wanting to is different than not able to.

Don't forget that Richard Scrushy was a very religious man when it met his needs.

You guys are being ridiculous. If this scenario plays out for anyone:

--You agree to come be part of an organization.

--They give you a salary and a signing bonus.

--You decide a year later to retire.

--They say you can keep the signing bonus even though they could demand at least some of it back.

There is nothing wrong with keeping it. Not illegal. Not dishonest. A nice gesture by the organization that you are more than welcome to accept.

Keeping the signing bonus certainly isn't anything Coffee should expect to get and the team is certainly within their rights to recover some of it. But if they choose not to, Coffee is under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to insist they take it back.

Beyond that, Coffee turned his freaking life around and has done everything above board since then. He decided football wasn't for him. It's not like he's demanding this year's salary as well.

He got a signing bonus. If there were stipulations in the contract that he return the money, and he's in breach of contract, then fine. But if not, I see no reason to run the guys name in the dirt.

To speak of him and Scrushy in the same breath is asinine.

That's debatable.

No, it's not debatable. Everybody can have a guess and a guess is just that, a guess. They all have the same value.

Since God's position has been brought into question on this thread I wondered what His word has to say about my judging another person.

... you are inexcusable , O man, whoever your are that judges: for wherein you judge another, you condemn yourself; -- Romans 2:1

Having far too many flaws myself without adding "judging of others" to the list, I suggest great caution here especially in light of how God's word condemns it.

Archived