Barbee signs contract through 2017

WarTiger

AUBURN - Tony Barbee, in his second season as Auburn's basketball coach, has signed a contract that pays him $1.5 million per year in salary, endorsement rights and radio television rights.

Should Auburn terminate Barbee, he would be owed $750,000 for each year remaining on his contract.

Barbee said he was happy to have the contract signed and sealed.

"I want to thank (athletic director) Jay Jacobs and President Jay Gogue once again for giving me the great opportunity to be a member of the Auburn Family along with the security of a long-term contract," Barbee said.

"I've said since I arrived at Auburn University that it's a privilege to coach here and that I love being here and there is no other place I’d rather be," Barbee said. "I always felt very comfortable working under the letter of agreement I had with Jay, but I'm glad to have the contract signed and we can move on from here."

Barbee could also earn $25, 000 for winning a SEC Western Division Championship, $50,000 for winning a regular season SEC championship, $50, 000 for winning a SEC Tournament Championship, $50,000 for reaching the NCAA Tournament and $100, 000 for winning the NCAA Tournament.

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting for next year, and the year after to see Barbee's true abilities. The incoming class is supposed to be very good, and can be a POSITIVE TRANSITION year, he was dealt a bad hand with what Lebo left him, and doesn't have the lineup needed to be very successful right now. All you need in basketball is one real stud and he can make a team so much better.

Am I being unrealistic that a coach, in his second season, can't get a team to be able to take and make good shots so that they don't consistently, game to game, have stretches of 4, 5, 6, or more minutes without scoring a bucket? It seems that we have stretches in games where it gets away from the team. I understand that might happen in one or two games, but that seems to be the norm...

The guy has had some real bad luck with injuries. Noel Johnson is just now getting to where he can play, Cedric McAfee has missed the whole season and now Josh Langford has been out and it's uncertain when he will return. Verez Ward and Frankie Sullivan are clearly not over their injuries suffered last year.

Considering the total mess Lebo left, I think Barbee gets at least two years after this one before we can see the picture of what he can do here.

Archived