GATORS: Meyer quiet on College Football Playoff right now!

AUSportTalk

The more the controversy associated with the Bowl Championship Series grows, the more clamoring there has been for a playoff in college football.

Florida coach Urban Meyer has lobbied for a playoff in the past, but has been relatively quiet on the subject this year.

While Meyer, whose team is ranked fourth in the BCS standings, has yet to be on the wrong end of BCS controversy since arriving in Gainesville in 2005, he does argue that his 2004 Utah team deserved a shot at playing for the national championship after going 11-0 in the regular season and finishing sixth in the BCS standings. The Utes were one of five undefeated teams at the end of the regular season.

"I was a big proponent of the playoff in 2004," Meyer said Monday. "On any given day, that team could have beat anybody in the country."

Currently, Utah is again 11-0 and ranks seventh in the BCS. When asked if he thought the Utes deserved another shot at the national title, Meyer declined to answer, but did say he voted his old team "real high" in the coaches' poll.

"Oh boy," he said. "That's why they say plead the fifth. I'd get blown completely out of the water if I answered that truthfully, so I'm not going to. And that's not one way or the other."

Another big playoff supporter has been president elect Barack Obama. The president-elect first shared his opinion on replacing the BCS with an eight-team playoff Nov. 3, during halftime of the Redskins-Steelers Monday Night Football game.

Sunday night, in an interview on 60 Minutes, Obama again endorsed a playoff. Meyer said he didn't see the interview, but appreciated Obama's affection toward the sport of college football.

"I'm glad to see he's interested," he said. "Anytime the president-elect or any people place the value on athletics like we all do I think that's good for our country. I don't know if that's the right thing to do, but some people make that decision down the road."

Archived