When will we add on?

auburn4ever

When will we start the ball rolling on the on expansion of Jordan-Hare Stadium? a friend of mine emailed me this. Yes, he's a bammer but he's still a good friend.

Bryant-Denny Stadium expansion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/02/...ht_bryant.html

Trustees set to green-light Bryant-Denny Stadium expansion this week

Posted by Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register February 03, 2009 4:24 PM

Categories: Football

The University of Alabama will ask the UA System Board of Trustees this week for final approval to begin $80.6 million construction on the south end zone of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The project will enclose the stadium, adding more than 9,000 seats to bring the capacity to more than 101,000 in time for the 2010 football season. The south end zone expansion will mirror recent north end zone expansion, with video scoreboards in the corners of the end zones.

UA athletics director Mal Moore announced the proposal - which is aimed at the final of four stages of approval from the BOT - during a press conference today at Bryant-Denny Stadium on the eve of National Signing Day.

Moore cited an "unbelievable demand for tickets" and this past season's success as reasons behind expansion. Moore said a waiting list for tickets had grown to more than 10,000 people.

"There's no question the excitement of Coach (Nick) Saban coming in and the success of the team this past year has made a difference in our decision," Moore said. "That is part of the demand for the tickets."

Included in the expansion will be 8,500 upper deck seats, 1,700 club seats, 36 skyboxes at a $500,000 pledge apiece, an upper concourse with restrooms, Crimson Tide Foundation offices, a Donors Hall of Fame and an outdoor market on street level for food and merchandise. It will also increase seating for UA students, Moore said.

The new addition will bring the stadium's edge near Bryant Drive but not alter the current street alignment. Davis Architects of Birmingham will be in charge of the project, which Moore said will not rely on public funds.

"We do not use or never have used state tax money or money from the university itself," Moore said. "The athletic department will fund this through ticket sales, through our ability to raise money and through bond issues that will be coming down the road."

Stadium expansion is one of the issues set to go before the BOT during meetings Thursday and Friday in Birmingham.

Work on the south end zone would begin this spring and be timed so that Alabama can use the stadium for the 2009 season. There will be a few changes. For instance, Moore said the current south end zone scoreboard would not be in place next season.

Saban offered his support in a prepared statement.

"This is yet another very positive sign of the momentum and vision that the entire University of Alabama community shares," Saban said. "We are very optimistic that this expansion will make Bryant-Denny Stadium one of the finest facilities in the country and give our fans an even greater venue to continue their positive support of our team."

I totally agree with you. Not only does it help bring more fans it also helps with recruiting. Kids are going to want and play at your school if they know there is going to be 100,000 people watching just at the game.

Speaking of Jordan-Hare, has anyone seen any drawing or anything about what Jordan-Hare Stadium might look like after an expansion? if you know of a link or if you can post a picture on here, please do so. I'd love to see what our stadium could look like if we can ever get the money together and starting adding on.

Completely enclosing an endzone was supposed to be the next step in expansion after the last little add on they did.  As far as I know there is not a timeframe on it but I am sure there are some kind of drawings on it out there.  It would definitely look tight, IMO.

Archived