Silent Commits

Wareagle3720

I keep hearing we have like 2-5 silent commits so this thread is to guess who they are or if you know who they are. Here is who I think:

Jeremy Richardson- I think he is just visiting around.

Marcus Lattimore-I really think he is ours and made a silent commit

LaDarius Owens-He was "uncomfortable" with the turds but who wouldnt be so he is ours.

Damien Robinson-Some said they talked to Darren Bates and he said he is Auburns.

I also think it could be others like Lache Seastrunk, Trovon Reed, Jonathon Mincy and Anthony Williams but the ones above I have a better feeling about. This is just a GUESS.

I was one of those guys who talked to Bates. From what Darren tells me, Auburn is it for Robinson. ^_^

I haven't heard anything, but my gut feeling is Lache S. and Marcus Lattimore. Maybe Lache's friend out of Louisiana..Hes the number 2 reciever but I cant remember his name.

I would guess when a big time prospect commits publicly, then all the other schools pursuing him know who their competition is.  So if a Lattimore type player were to publicly commit to AU, then Lattimore would get a heavy dose of about 10-20 other schools all trashing AU.  If it is kept under wraps, then all the schools are all trashing each other as well. 

I think I read somewhere Pete Carroll changed his recruiting style in the last couple of years because of this. 

It also helps if we have a silent from Reed, it keeps us in play with Richardson longer. If it is Seastrunk and Lattimore, it lets us work on recruiting Dyer and Grant on an even playing field.  Star players want to go where they have a great chance to play.

Somebody answer me this, please.  Who initiates (and then controls) the silent part of the silent commit?  Reading some of the above posts, and those elsewhere, one could infer it's the player who's in charge; but then there's some posts where it seems some you - and others - think it's the school's choice.  Anyone know within spittin  distance of for sure?

Not sure if this is spittin' distance, but, dare I say, I can spit a pretty long way.  I see it, generally, going down this way: player informs coaches he wants to commit, coaches tell him to wait for a specified time and give him some or most of the reasons why...At that point, they both have control (albeit the player ultimately has more), because the player still has the choice of whether and when to make it public...I don't think he would be penalized for jumping the gun if the school really wanted him, though I do believe pressure gets placed on players to comply with the process...If the player really wants to go to the school, compliance and control shouldn't really be big issues, especially if there are solid relationships established...

I don't know, ausbest.  You're implying -- or at least I'm inferring from your answer -- that this "system," this tightrope-walking, hide-and-wait, mendacious system, is set up for only the VERY GOOD players, and thus by default renders those that go public with their commitment as something less than the big guns we're REALLY

going after, REALLY want.  Right?

I guess I could see it working for the scrub, space-takers, too, i.e. those you're ashamed of offering the scholarship to and more ashamed now that you have to honor it -- but these are NOT players we're going after, so.... :dunno:

Shady business any way you slice it.

I'm not close to the situation, hence, I have to "spit" from afar...I believe that just as you have to use strategy with individual recruits, and adjust your approach accordingly (within the rules, of course), you also have to strategize for the entire recruiting process both annually and over multiple years...Announcement timing, inter-recruit relations (commits, whether silent or announced, recruiting peers), and developing strong relations with high school personnel are just a few of the many variables to consider.  Although I don't agree with a lot of what MAY go on in recruiting, considering the school, as long as AU's coaches remain within the rules, want the best for the recruit first and AU second, and maintain that integrity throughout the recruit's collegiate career, I choose to view the recruiting process as strategical rather than shady.

Silent Commits ? Sorry guys i don't get my hopes up to be let down. I really just wish they would commit and stick with it. I work my butt off everyday at work, and when i get home i check every site and blog. I need more than a silent commit to get me up and dancing in my room.  :'(

War Eagle

Silent Commits ? Sorry guys i don't get my hopes up to be let down. I really just wish they would commit and stick with it. I work my butt off everyday at work, and when i get home i check every site and blog. I need more than a silent commit to get me up and dancing in my room.  :'(

War Eagle

LOL, I'm with ya...As a fan, I wish we could get our allotment committed, signed, and sealed before the start of next season...Sure would be nice to have several 4 & 5-stars all tucked away. 

Right, I agree - find 'em, recruit 'em, commit 'em, the earlier the better, and then -- I'm sure you just missed typed -- get them out there stirring things up on behalf of their future home.  We don't want our commits "tucked away," do we?  No.  Take for example, Damien Robinson, mammoth OT, Olive Branch.  According to messages here, Daren Bates says he's coming to Auburn.  Okay, great.  Commit then...now.  How would that go over with Seastrunk, Lattimore, et al, having him and his partner in pancakes as bookend tackles of the very near future!?  I think a public committment like that would get the ball rolling toward an (early!) excellent class (which I'm sure we'll get anyway come signing day oh so many many days away, but, hey). 

Y'all have a good one!

Look at UT with Oku and Brown. They didn't say anything for the longest. It worked pretty well in the end for UT.

From everything I've been told, Brown & Oku stayed in touch alot and became good friends. I'm sure they both talked about where they were going and they both wanted to play on the same team. In other words, I think they both knew they were going to Tenn but wanted to be in the spotlight as long as they could. That's why they kept dragging it out for so long.

Silent, loud, visible, invisible, big, small, secret, public etc.......  I dont care how we get them.  Just get em Chiz! :wedance:

Silent, loud, visible, invisible, big, small, secret, public etc.......  I dont care how we get them.  Just get em Chiz! :wedance:

My thoughts exactly! :hellyeah:

Archived