Next year's priorities

alabastertiger

I know it is WAY early, but what are next year's recruiting priorities?  I'm thinking 1. Secondary  2. More OL  3. Interior DL 4. Best atheletes available.

Thanks and WDE

Secondary and OL will be the top priorities.  We'll want 2-3 more linebackers, 2-3 DL, and then at least one of every other position. 

Yea, I think secondary will definitely be the top priority, because by this time next year we will definitely be without McNeil, Etheridge, Savage, McFadden, and Washington. We could really use some stud safeties and corners in next year's class. Beyond that, I think O and D lines continue to be a big area of need. After next year, we lose Carter, Blanc, Goggans, and Clayton on the D-Line and the four remaining starters off the O-line, so the trenches will be priorities. Should be good at receiver and running back, though we will of course add a couple guys at each spot. Continuing to build depth at linebacker will be key as well. Wouldn't expect any special teamers to be added. Probably a QB if we can get Driskel or Frazier. Wouldn't be surprised to see a tight end brought in as well.

We think alike it seems. At lunch I was going over what we have coming back & what will be our target areas for next year and plotted it out by class & position and came up with the following numbers. Just to let you know, I went with the status quo on these numbers. Meaning, I did not include Savage or Ethridge in this count and counted players at the positions they were in at the end of the year and not according to where I think they may end up. This also includes all current commits but not who we might get from here on out. Does that make sense?  :)

Pos    Sr    Jr    So  Fr  Total / Pos

QB      1      1    1    2          5

RB      1      1      1    3        6

WR    3      3      4    4        14

TE            2      1    2          5

OL      6      5      2    3        16

DT      2      1      2    1        6

DE      2      1      2    3        8

LB      2      3      2    4        11

CB      1      2      1    3          7

S              3      2    1          6

K      1                    1          2

P      1                    1          2 

Tot/Class      20    22    18    28 

Observant members will notice that this gives us a total of 88 current Scholarship players + commits. If we sign a full class, that will put us up to 91 and if Savage & Ethridge come back, 93. So, Wherever those 8 cuts come from will obviously affect theses numbers.

Counting DJ as a RB. Like I pointed out, I'm not projecting where I believe anyone will end up only where they are now. so to speak.  D. Mosley is counted as a TE & Gulley is counted as a CB. Bell at safety.

Pos     Sr     Jr    So   Fr   Total / Pos

QB      1      1     1     2          5

RB      1      1      1     3         6

WR     3      3      4     4         14

TE             2      1     2          5

OL      6      5      2     3         16

DT      2      1      2     1         6

DE      2      1      2     3         8

LB      2      3      2     4         11

CB      1      2      1     3          7

S              3      2     1          6

K       1                    1          2

P       1                    1          2 

Tot/Class       20    22     18    28    

As it stands, I could see us losing up to 5 receivers next year, the three seniors and possibly Adams and Benton if they have stand out seasons.  Losing Fannin really hurts even though he really hasn't been utilized well the past two years.  I just don't see any other players going early next year unless Mike McNeil has a great season and goes or Toro has a great season and goes, otherwise I don't think we lose anyone early.  Let's be honest, Auburn's seniors and juniors just aren't leave-early type talented.

TKO- It will be nice to have a big senior class for 2010. We had seven seniors on the depth chart this year.

I think the Cam Newton signing gives us a chance to make a run at the West. Lots of veteran players coming back, an infusion of young talent to add some depth, and a schedule that sets up as favorably as you could hope for in the SEC.

Janster- it is NEVER too early...

Archived