Jessel Curry

Sani-Freeze

He certainly isn't our most-hyped recruit, but this guy is a winner and I think he will be a great addition to this team.

I don't know much about him other than what I have read in the AJC. He has led his team to THREE consecutive state championships, playing on offense and defense. I think his coach (at Buford) said he is the best player he has ever coached, or something to that effect. Also has the right pedigree- his dad played in the NFL.

Maybe he is our next Daren Bates.

I have a friend who took his son to Auburn's junior day last week and he spoke to Jessel. Jessel told him he has already gained 15-20 pounds since enrolling in school. I hope Jessel takes a redshirt to train and get ready for the SEC competition. I'm with you, though; I think he is a great addition to the team. He is a real good kid from everything i have heard. Apparently, he had a jersey on and he was #40 or #42. I can't remember what he said.

First of all, I wish we'd get off this mentality of "maybe so and so is our next Darren Bates".  The coaches recruited these kids and believe they can all help out, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten a scholarship when numbers are so tight.  

Secondly, I grew up in the Lawrenceville, GA area near Buford.  Let me tell you...Buford is a powerhouse.  He wouldn't have been on Buford's team let alone start if he couldn't play.  The kid is a proven winner and will be a great one.  

Finally, again, I wish we could get out of this mentality of under the radar people.  Jessell is a 3 star.  I believe the only 2 star we have is Stephen Clark who is a punter who is probably going to gray shirt.  The coaching staff is getting great players.  

Guest BibliothekarTiger

I'm really glad we got him and that he is already enrolled in school and will be able to participate in spring practice.  They do know how to play football in Buford.  For someone so young he really seems to have his act together and I know he will be a great addition to the school, team, and defense.

I have a friend who took his son to Auburn's junior day last week and he spoke to Jessel. Jessel told him he has already gained 15-20 pounds since enrolling in school. I hope Jessel takes a redshirt to train and get ready for the SEC competition. I'm with you, though; I think he is a great addition to the team. He is a real good kid from everything i have heard. Apparently, he had a jersey on and he was #40 or #42. I can't remember what he said.

I thought that was Wade Christopher's number. Those will be big shoes to fill.  :beatmullet:

AUTigerGrad08-

Thanks for missing the entire point of that post. I wish people like you would let someone post something positive without turning it into some sort of argument. This isn't al.com.

AUTigerGrad08-

Thanks for missing the entire point of that post. I wish people like you would let someone post something positive without turning it into some sort of argument. This isn't al.com.

Woah, woah, woah.  Calm down, buddy.  You're missing the entire point of my post.  I'm not trying to argue at all.  I'm just saying that I wish we can get out of the mentality of assuming certain people are under the radar guys.  That's it.  I don't know why you're offended by that.  But, please if you have a problem, personal message me and we can discuss it.  Jessell Curry is a great player and I think he's not under the radar.  That was my point.  :wedance:

AUT, I think his point is that he hopes and thinks JC might be able come in and contribute or even start as a freshman.  That is a big complement to JC because we all know how rare it is for a true freshman to win a starting position.

I don't expect any of the linebackers in this class to be redshirted, unless Kitchens moves to linebacker.  We are too shallow at that position to give up any signees for a year.  I think very few of our signees except perhaps the ATH/DB's, a WR, and one or two of the OL signees will get to redshirt.  We need the depth.

AUT, I think his point is that he hopes and thinks JC might be able come in and contribute or even start as a freshman.  That is a big complement to JC because we all know how rare it is for a true freshman to win a starting position.

Oh, well yeah.  I mean it's already been said that all our LB commitments won't be able to redshirt because they'll have to play.  I believe Curry's dad is Buddy Curry who played for the Falcons so he'll be getting some great advice on his play.  This was my point.  I think Jessel is more than ready to go.  He's definitely a great player.  

I hope he hasn't put on that much weight in that short period of time. There are only 2 ways to put that much on in this short amount of time. One is illegal and the other is a lot of fat. At best he could have put on 8-10lbs of muscle in this time frame.

AUTigerGrad08-

Woah, woah, woah.  Calm down, buddy.  You're missing the entire point of my post.  I'm not trying to argue at all.  I'm just saying that I wish we can get out of the mentality of assuming certain people are under the radar guys.  That's it.  I don't know why you're offended by that.  But, please if you have a problem, personal message me and we can discuss it.  Jessell Curry is a great player and I think he's not under the radar.  That was my point. 

Sorry- didn't mean to snap. I get your point, though I didn't say he was under the radar- just that he isn't our most hyped recruit. He may be another guy who contributes early in his career and does better than what the scouting reports seem to give him credit for.

I hope he hasn't put on that much weight in that short period of time. There are only 2 ways to put that much on in this short amount of time. One is illegal and the other is a lot of fat. At best he could have put on 8-10lbs of muscle in this time frame.

This is not true, I witnessed many young men put on this kind of weight during intense physical training.

AUTigerGrad08-

Woah, woah, woah.  Calm down, buddy.  You're missing the entire point of my post.  I'm not trying to argue at all.  I'm just saying that I wish we can get out of the mentality of assuming certain people are under the radar guys.  That's it.  I don't know why you're offended by that.  But, please if you have a problem, personal message me and we can discuss it.  Jessell Curry is a great player and I think he's not under the radar.  That was my point. 

Sorry- didn't mean to snap. I get your point, though I didn't say he was under the radar- just that he isn't our most hyped recruit. He may be another guy who contributes early in his career and does better than what the scouting reports seem to give him credit for.

No worries.  I think we're all a little on nerves this close to signing day. 

I believe Curry's dad is Buddy Curry who played for the Falcons so he'll be getting some great advice on his play.  

You are correct.  I remember when Buddy Curry played for Univ. of North Carolina and he was VERY good.  Very good player on a pretty good team. 

Curry is kinda an "under the radar" guy.....for the SEC. How are we the only SEC team to go after this kid? From what I've seen of him, he is pretty studly and a really smart player. Didn't he enroll early?

Curry is kinda an "under the radar" guy.....for the SEC. How are we the only SEC team to go after this kid? From what I've seen of him, he is pretty studly and a really smart player. Didn't he enroll early?

He did enroll early.  Like has been mentioned I don't buy into this kid being an under the radar guy.  He's just too good. 

Well I live in Buford, Ga. alot of the older members know that. I can promise everyone Jessel is a special kid. Yes his dad is Buddy and played for the Falcons as a linebacker, Jessel had 5 interceptions this year from his LB position " he has great eye/hand coor., played fullback full time and caught 5 or 6 TD passes, also was the teams punter averaged about 36 yds , was great at putting the ball inside the 10 yard line. Jessel will represent Auburn with much respect. He will make everyone proud.

Sir, I hate to be disagreeable, but that is just not true. These young boys are put on the training table with a specific diet, then they are committed to Coach Yox and a dedicated weight program. Some of the guys put on weight quickly, some more slowly, but they grow fast. Look at the Auburn guys who go to the combines. They are ripped. And they are drug free!

Look I was only repeating what Jessel told my buddy about him gaining weight thing. I can't prove it or anything.

AUT,

If you think Jessel is good enough to come in and start next year then he is under the radar; like it or not. Evaluators with a lot more experience than us have given him a three star rating and some have even given him a 2 star rating. Most 3 star and less players should be redshirted. If they do not redshirt them and they contribute they are a diamond in the rough and yes; they were under the radar.

The "under the radar" thing can be misconstrued very easily. This new staff is bringing in the right mix of contributors and flashy names so far. It becomes difficult to hear and deal with, because the previous staff had a tremendous win-loss pct. and big game wins with so-called "under the radar" players. No matter the final outcome of NSD, these coaches have brought Auburn back as a destination school in the ultra-competitive SEC.  :party:

Archived