Question About Probation/Sanctions

Cox Street

I know that Cliff Ellis messed up and got us on probation. Are we still saddled with this?  I've heard that we can't recruit AAU players in Alabama. I'd love for Auburn to field a good basketball team. I'm tired of having to cheer for UAB......  LOL!

This was from a blog by Jay Coulter on Track'em Tigers explaining the AAU connection.  

"...Few fans understood the significance of the blow Auburn received back in 2004 when among the sanctions levied by the NCAA was a ban on any dealings with summer league guru Mark Komara. Because he was labeled an Auburn booster by the NCAA, the program was prohibited from dealing with him. The sanctions have long since expired, but the no-contact order remains in place.

Because Komara has such influence in Alabama, it's virtually impossible to recruit anyone in-state to Auburn. This season, Frankie Sullivan is the only Alabama player on scholarship for the Tigers."

This was from a blog by Jay Coulter on Track'em Tigers explaining the AAU connection.  

"...Few fans understood the significance of the blow Auburn received back in 2004 when among the sanctions levied by the NCAA was a ban on any dealings with summer league guru Mark Komara. Because he was labeled an Auburn booster by the NCAA, the program was prohibited from dealing with him. The sanctions have long since expired, but the no-contact order remains in place.

Because Komara has such influence in Alabama, it's virtually impossible to recruit anyone in-state to Auburn. This season, Frankie Sullivan is the only Alabama player on scholarship for the Tigers."

Sounds like some bammer crap to me.

I know that Cliff Ellis messed up and got us on probation. Are we still saddled with this?  I've heard that we can't recruit AAU players in Alabama. I'd love for Auburn to field a good basketball team. I'm tired of having to cheer for UAB......  LOL!

i really wished you'd root for auburn before anyone no matter what...  :dunno:

I root for Auburn.  We just always SUCK at basketball which is one of my favorite sports.  Also, living in Bammerham makes it virtually impossible to go to any of the games.  The only decent team in the state is UAB and they are close enough to go and watch.  I wish Auburn would schedule UAB so I could see them more.

the proobation is past. Auburn is now allowed to deal with komara. Auburn, that is Lebo, made the decision to not deal with him.

I don't think you are right on that.  Komara was deemed by the NCAA to be an Auburn Booster.  :dunno:  That is a permanent distinction.  I don't think that can be changed.

the proobation is past. Auburn is now allowed to deal with komara. Auburn, that is Lebo, made the decision to not deal with him.

I don't think you are right on that.  Komara was deemed by the NCAA to be an Auburn Booster.  :dunno:  That is a permanent distinction.  I don't think that can be changed.

That's what I think too. Komara was declared by the NCAA to be a "representative of Auburn's athletic interests." It's my understanding that only the NCAA can change that.

NOW, HOWEVER: In the past few days, I've seen this "no Komara" sanction referred to in more than one place as being voluntary on Auburn's part. I do wish somebody with an inside track could get a definitive answer and post it in a public place..

The NCAA ban ended, but Auburn still imposes it on themselves

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/02/scarbinsky_auburn_hoops_still.html

Thanks for the link. According to that article, the ban on contacting Komara has been an Auburn decision since 2006. Now I'd like to hear somebody in authority at Auburn explain why we think it's necessary to self-impose this hindrance to recruiting.

The NCAA ban ended, but Auburn still imposes it on themselves

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/02/scarbinsky_auburn_hoops_still.html

Thanks for the link. According to that article, the ban on contacting Komara has been an Auburn decision since 2006. Now I'd like to hear somebody in authority at Auburn explain why we think it's necessary to self-impose this hindrance to recruiting.

I agree Mike.  I don't understand how you can blame a coach for not recruiting well when you tie his hands like that.

If the only violations were phone calls,  Why does not JJ hire Komara and put him in charge of recruiting.  Seems to solve two problems with one hire?

Komara could really help AU in recruiting, especially up here in Huntsville. This years probable Alabama player of the year played at Lee-Huntsville (Josh Langford) and next years frontrunners (Trevor Lacy and Levi Randolph) play at Butler and Bob Jones respectively. Would be nice to get in on the vast talent here in North Alabama for a change.

If the only violations were phone calls,  Why does not JJ hire Komara and put him in charge of recruiting.  Seems to solve two problems with one hire?

That would be a big pay cut for Komara (if you know what I mean).

You mean only getting paid by one University? :laugh: 

You mean only getting paid by one University? :laugh: 

HA! This is exactly why I'm glad we don't deal with him.  I get the feeling that maybe we know about some stuff more serious than phone calls going on and instead of trying to bring him down we are taking the high road and just steering clear of him.  This is just pure speculation on my part and I'm not even saying its happening but it is a possibility.

Archived