Cliff Ellis coaching Coastal Caroline tonight against UAB

jonesc1_98

This is the first I have heard of this.  Could be interesting to see how well he does in the NIT. Granted he wasn't playing fair, but our program was competitive every year while Ellis was there...

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/calling_all_cliff_dwllers_coac.html

He led the Tigers to three NCAA Tournaments — and reached two Sweet 16s — and four NITs in his 10 seasons.

He won in a way Auburn had rarely won before and hasn’t come close to winning since he was dismissed.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/scarbinsky_ellis_gets_another.html

This is the first I have heard of this.  Could be interesting to see how well he does in the NIT. Granted he wasn't playing fair, but our program was competitive every year while Ellis was there...

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/calling_all_cliff_dwllers_coac.html

It's not "granted" that he wasn't playing fair.  Please enlighten us in how we benefited from him not playing fair. 

There were two probations.  One where an assistant coach helped two players get to the airport and another where an AAU coach was named an agent of Auburn University trying to help us get players we didn't get.

I fail to see how "not playing fair" benefited Auburn during the Ellis years.

I do not have any details, all I know was he was the coach while I was at AU and Auburn was very relevant while he was there... was a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, so for someone to say that Auburn can't win is insane...

as far as his not playing fair, I was just trying to CMA in case someone was going to throw that out there. He was great for Auburn basketball as far as I am concerned...

I miss the cliff dwellers.

He has obviously done a good job at Coastal Carolina....just like he did at AU.  It's hard to believe that AU was actually a #1 seed in the tournament and a record of 29-4 under Ellis one year.  We need a coach that can make that happen on an annual basis.

Wow, I had forgotten that we were a #1 seed that year. That team was a victim of, "Oh crap, we are actually a #1 seed."  :o :o :o :o :o "What do we do now?"

Wow, I had forgotten that we were a #1 seed that year. That team was a victim of, "Oh crap, we are actually a #1 seed."  :o :o :o :o :o "What do we do now?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think Auburn was a victim of some very poor and biased officiating against Ohio State (I believe) that year.  Past that Auburn had been overcoming poor officiating all year playing in the SEC plus they just didn't show up for that game .

I might be mistaken but from what I understand, Ellis himself didnt do a darn thing wrong.  The "infractions" that were identified were beyond his immediate control and he didnt know anything about them till after the fact.  The NCAA didnt really do anything to us, rather essentially everything punitive was self imposed.  Was the loss of one scholarship self imposed or was that the NCAA? I am not sure on that one without looking it up.  Either way, Ellis, contrary to the opinion of some on this board, did NOT run the program into the ground. LEBO DID run the program into the ground.  Ellis left Auburn with all kinds of talent, both already on the team and coming in via recruiting.  Lebo's pathetic butt ran off virtually every good player we had within the first 2 years of him being here and replaced them with mostly sub-par talent.  This was a result of his ego or the players' egos or a combination of both of them but either way, a good coach would have found a way to make it work.  He didn't and as a result we lost Killingsworth, Monroe, Curtis, Douglas, Brewer, and several others I cant remember at the moment.  All the momentum that Ellis had built in AU's program went down the crapper with Lebo at the helm.  Sorry, but hiring Lebo was like eating dinner at Flemings or Ruth Chris then immediately taking 4 times the recommended dose of Ex Lax.  Everything good comes out before it can contribute. 

I would be happy if we hired Cliff Ellis back!  He isnt my first choice but he certainly isnt my last.  I would take him over Tubby for that matter. Ellis can recruit and he really can coach and he can do it without violating any rules.  Don't forget the nature of the "infractions" he was accused of, they were minor and they had nothing to do with the success he brought Auburn on the hardwood.  How awesome would it be to see an Auburn team with at least 1 or 2 potential future NBA'ers on the floor actually executing an offensive set?  I would have forgotten what that looks like if it weren't for following UK since Lebo was hired. 

I might be mistaken but from what I understand, Ellis himself didnt do a darn thing wrong.  The "infractions" that were identified were beyond his immediate control and he didnt know anything about them till after the fact.  The NCAA didnt really do anything to us, rather essentially everything punitive was self imposed.  Was the loss of one scholarship self imposed or was that the NCAA? I am not sure on that one without looking it up.  Either way, Ellis, contrary to the opinion of some on this board, did NOT run the program into the ground. LEBO DID run the program into the ground.  Ellis left Auburn with all kinds of talent, both already on the team and coming in via recruiting.  Lebo's pathetic butt ran off virtually every good player we had within the first 2 years of him being here and replaced them with mostly sub-par talent.  This was a result of his ego or the players' egos or a combination of both of them but either way, a good coach would have found a way to make it work.  He didn't and as a result we lost Killingsworth, Monroe, Curtis, Douglas, Brewer, and several others I cant remember at the moment.  All the momentum that Ellis had built in AU's program went down the crapper with Lebo at the helm.  Sorry, but hiring Lebo was like eating dinner at Flemings or Ruth Chris then immediately taking 4 times the recommended dose of Ex Lax.  Everything good comes out before it can contribute. 

I would be happy if we hired Cliff Ellis back!  He isnt my first choice but he certainly isnt my last.  I would take him over Tubby for that matter. Ellis can recruit and he really can coach and he can do it without violating any rules.  Don't forget the nature of the "infractions" he was accused of, they were minor and they had nothing to do with the success he brought Auburn on the hardwood.  How awesome would it be to see an Auburn team with at least 1 or 2 potential future NBA'ers on the floor actually executing an offensive set?  I would have forgotten what that looks like if it weren't for following UK since Lebo was hired. 

Exactly, I get tired of heaing how Ellis left us out of players, he had his best squad coming back

before he was fired, and then all the players left.

^Nice Post^

^Nice Post^

I wish I knew all the details... but this ^^^ convinced me

This is the best post I've ever read on ANY board about our basketball situation.  I applaud you, sir.

Didn't Ellis bring us our only #1 seed in the dance ever? That was one of the best posts I have ever read. I'll have to admit, I blamed Ellis for a long time for screwing our program. Thank you for making me believe otherwise.  :bow:

^^^ Nice^^^

Archived