A Basketball Revelation

Scrambledog

I was watching the North Carolina, William & Mary matchup in the NIT.  Why is nobody mentioning the WM coach for Auburn's opening?  The guy is a two time Coastal coach of the year. He is a Dean Smith disciple, you you know he is clean and knows his fundementals.  But he is also an offensive innovator, ala Malzohn in football. His offense is amazing and sharp. I'll bet this guy would love to come to the SEC.  Someone needs to pass the word to Jay Jacobs. '

Little William & Mary beat Maryland at Maryland and Wake Forest at Wake Forest this year. They too Carolina to the wire in Chapel Hill tonight. They play and beat the big boys now. I would love to see what this coach could do with some real talent. His offense would draw players just like Malzohn's offense does in football.

We have already tried a Dean SMith prodigee from a small school who has a great knowledge of the x's and o's. Now saying this coach wouldn't work out. I'm just saying I'd rather not find out after what we went through the last 6 years

We have already tried a Dean SMith prodigee from a small school who has a great knowledge of the x's and o's. Now saying this coach wouldn't work out. I'm just saying I'd rather not find out after what we went through the last 6 years

Ditto. For good or bad, no way JJ goes down that road again.

No offense, but that is a narrow minded viewpoint. Like Jacobs said, Lebo was a very good coach, but he did not recruit and never had the athletes to play a Carolina system. But knocking all the Dean Smith coaches is a painting with a very broad brush. Carolina and Duke are the best programs in the nation. Clean with NCAA, high academic rating, classy and winners. We would do well to have someone from either of these programs. Dismissing a Carolina man because of Lebo would be like Dismissing an Auburn coach because of Tuberville.

I did watch that game.. u know what W&M offense is.. its jacking up threes. exactly like lebo. I think this would be a pretty bad hire we can definitely do better

I was a Lebo supporter and still believe he could have gotten it done.  That being said the one area where he was not getting the job done was on the defensive end of the floor.  What we need now is a style change, we should look for a coach who is in the mold of Nolan Richard, Mike Anderson, etc.... pressure defense, transition offense, and getting up and down the court.  We can recruit for this style of play, and it will be exciting. 

Also the names that I've seen thrown out there (Mike Anderson and Tubby Smith) are not coming to AU, they are at better programs and making more money that we pay.  So the focus needs to be elsewhere. 

Scrambledog, no offense taken. I was just saying I'm a little uneasy about going down that road again. Dean Smith is arguably the greatest coach in college basketball history and any prodigee of his should be held in high regards. I'm not knocking him at all, I'm just saying that I don't really want another up and comer from such a small school again. We tried that and it didn't work out very well. Tony Barbee is my favorite candidate thus far. He is from a relatively small school, but he is in the NCAA tourney and went 15-1 in Conference USA. Lebo really never had that kind of success while at Tennessee Tech and Tennessee-Chattanooga. He had respectable records, but not championship records.

John Wooden is the greatest basketball coach...Period.......Dean Smith doesn't beat out Adolph Rupp or Bobby Knight

Archived