FWIW, on the basketball search....

Just a quick question. Wasn't it Calipari's assistants that got in trouble with the NCAA, and technically not him?

I don't know, could be. Usually though, it starts at the top and the head coach is responsible whether he was the one who actually did wrong or not. Ask Pat Dye about that!

First off, let me say that I would be fine with anyone set to interview or whos name has been mentioned.  However, Johnny Jones resume' is really really impressive. Go take a look if you will. Has made the NCAA tounramnt 2 of his 4 years. Now heres the impressive part, North Texas had a total of 20 wins in the COMBINED 4 seasons before he go there.  He has had mutliple all conference selections, and worked as an assistant at both Memphis and Kentucky. Also played at LSU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jones_(basketball_coach)

Check him out.

even so, I think JJ's mindset on hiring coaches is based on their recruiting abilities...IMO

If that were the case, then he is going to hire Johnny Jones:

"Jones’ ability as a recruiter is reflected in the talent he not only helped lure to LSU, but the players he attracted to Memphis during his time there. He helped secure LSU’s 1993 recruiting class which was ranked No. 1 in the nation. And in 1997 at Memphis, Jones also helped accumulate a JUCO recruiting class that was ranked No. 1 nationally and was the cornerstone of an overall class that was ranked seventh. Jones assisted in the recruiting and coaching of Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Jackson and former national high school player of the year Randy Livingston."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jones_%28basketball_coach%29

This is confusing. You all make valid points, so we are just gonna have to wait and see who JJ thinks is the right man for the job. I think they all would bring something different to the table. I'm with TungstenGT on one thing. It is hard to gauge what kind of recruiter Barbee is really going to be by his time at Memphis with Coach Cal. Calipari has recruited even better since he lost Barbee. Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, and Eric Bledsoe, all 5 stars. i'm just hoping JJ will make the right decision...  and I will support whoever he chooses.

This is confusing. You all make valid points, so we are just gonna have to wait and see who JJ thinks is the right man for the job. I think they all would bring something different to the table. I'm with TungstenGT on one thing. It is hard to gauge what kind of recruiter Barbee is really going to be by his time at Memphis with Coach Cal. Calipari has recruited even better since he lost Barbee. Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, and Eric Bledsoe, all 5 stars. i'm just hoping JJ will make the right decision...   and I will support whoever he chooses.

I agree.  If Barbee is such a great recruiter, what about what he has at his present school?  I don't know, I am just asking.

:wedance:

Archived