FWIW, on the basketball search....

I wanted Tubby but Barbee sounds alot better than some of the names being thrown around.If it proves true I think we will all support him and welcome him to the family.

I wanted Tubby but Barbee sounds a lot better than some of the names being thrown around.If it proves true I think we will all support him and welcome him to the family.

I disagree.  Barbee holds nothing more special to me than Johnny Jones or Bob Marlin.  They are all coaches of lower tiered schools that have put their teams in the tournament.  I mean if you want to go by who has a better record of success, you would want Marlin or Jones over Barbee.

Just my opinion.  I am still hoping that JJ gets us a big name coach like Tubby or Anderson.

:wedance:

I still have hope for Tubby but I disagree i would be a lot happier with Barbee than those other two.

I respect your opinion, but why would you be happier with Barbee over Marlin or Jones?  What has he done that puts him so high on everyone's list?  I am not slamming anyone nor am I slamming Barbee.  I just don't know why so many want him over some of the other lower tiered coaches that have been mentioned, other than ST mentioned him as one of his favorites early on and a lot of people jumped on that bandwagon.

I still have hope for Tubby but I disagree i would be a lot happier with Barbee than those other two.

I respect your opinion, but why would you be happier with Barbee over Marlin or Jones?  What has he done that puts him so high on everyone's list?  I am not slamming anyone nor am I slamming Barbee.  I just don't know why so many want him over some of the other lower tiered coaches that have been mentioned, other than ST mentioned him as one of his favorites early on and a lot of people jumped on that bandwagon.

He is about 10 years younger than Jones or Marlin, he is coaching at a higher level than either right now and he is known nationally as a great recruiter. Nobody can say for certain that he would do better at Auburn than Marlin or Jones but he is the more attractive candidate.

He is about 10 years younger than Jones or Marlin, he is coaching at a higher level than either right now and he is known nationally as a great recruiter. Nobody can say for certain that he would do better at Auburn than Marlin or Jones but he is the more attractive candidate.

Fair enough.  How is he coaching at a higher level?  Who says he is a great recruiter?  I would be all behind him if I knew something more about him other than random opinions I hear on here.

All I was going off of was his record:

Barbee.jpg

I know there is more to a coach than his record, but it is a good gauge of his success rate.

The records posted above show a direct, straight line improvement for his team. That's much better than otherwise.

For Auburn's next coach, I like this guy better than Tubby or several others that have been mentioned. I've got no reason to feel that way except for a hunch, but it works for me.

On the other hand it ain't over until it's over, so we'll see...

The records posted above show a direct, straight line improvement for his team. That's much better than otherwise.

For Auburn's next coach, I like this guy better than Tubby or several others that have been mentioned. I've got no reason to feel that way except for a hunch, but it works for me.

On the other hand it ain't over until it's over, so we'll see...

One name....Bruce Pearle.....relatively unknown from a 'Lower Tiered' school.....ask the vol fans what they think about that.......

Well ask Auburn fans about Lebo or Bammer fans about Gottfried.  What's your point?

Fair enough.  How is he coaching at a higher level?  Who says he is a great recruiter?  I would be all behind him if I knew something more about him other than random opinions I hear on here.

Barbee.jpg

I know there is more to a coach than his record, but it is a good gauge of his success rate.

UTEP got an at large bid to the tourney this year. The only way you can get a NCAA birth at North Texas or SHSU is to win your conference. I'm not saying Conference USA is on the same level as say the A-10 or the WAC but it is a legit mid major conference. As far as his recruiting here is an exerpt from his bio listed on the UTEP athletic site and a link.

Not only is Barbee recognized as an up-and-coming young coach, but he is regarded as one of the nation's premier recruiters as well. He was named the top assistant in Conference USA in Street & Smith's 2005-06 preseason college basketball yearbook. He was also honored by Rivals.com as the no. 3 recruiter in the country while at Memphis. HoopScoop magazine tabbed him as one of the nation's top assistant coaches in 2004.

http://utepathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/barbee_tony00.html

One name....Bruce Pearle.....relatively unknown from a 'Lower Tiered' school.....ask the vol fans what they think about that.......

Well ask Auburn fans about Lebo or Bammer fans about Gottfried.  What's your point?

dont have one chief......just sayin not all coaches from lower tiered schools turn out bad....and just judging his coachin ability by the fact that he coaches at utep don't me squat.......i am sure that there were some vol fans who screamed about the pearle hire...just as there were auburn fans that screamed when chiz was hired.....just sayin him coming from a small school doesn't reflect jack to what he could do at auburn......

Barbee.jpg

UTEP got an at large bid to the tourney this year. The only way you can get a NCAA birth at North Texas or SHSU is to win your conference. I'm not saying Conference USA is on the same level as say the A-10 or the WAC but it is a legit mid major conference. As far as his recruiting here is an exerpt from his bio listed on the UTEP athletic site and a link.

Not only is Barbee recognized as an up-and-coming young coach, but he is regarded as one of the nation's premier recruiters as well. He was named the top assistant in Conference USA in Street & Smith's 2005-06 preseason college basketball yearbook. He was also honored by Rivals.com as the no. 3 recruiter in the country while at Memphis. HoopScoop magazine tabbed him as one of the nation's top assistant coaches in 2004.

http://utepathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/barbee_tony00.html

I agree it speaks well that he got an at-large bid.  I also agree with the earlier poster that he shows a trend of winning at UTEP.   As stated previously, getting someone like that to turn out to be successful at an SEC school is hit-or-miss, (Lebo, Pearle, etc.).   I don't think it is fair to use as your source that he is a good coach the promo piece from his school.  I am sure while Lebo was at Auburn, it sounded really good on AU's homepages.  What is mentioned as far as being a top recruiter, is when he was an Asst. at Memphis...a perennial top BB school with Calipari there to seal the deal on recruits.  

Again, I am not knocking Barbee.  I just am not as enamored by him like many are here.  I don't see where he is any better than any other mid major coach that has been mentioned.

:dunno:

The point is that Auburn just isn't an attrative Basketball job right now. What established coach would want the job right now? Lebo was an up and coming yougn coach and thats what Auburn will get this time around as well. Some  young up and sommers pan out and others don't. We just hope the next one can roll the new facilities into a little recruiting success.

Well, if we couldn't get one of the big names like Tubby or Anderson, my next two options are Person and Barbee. One important thing about Barbee's teams at UTEP: IMPROVEMENT FROM SEASON TO SEASON. I'm not gonna post a link, but if you want, go look at UTEP under Barbee. The team shows improvement (in terms of wins) from year to year, and I think this is really important. Another important thing with Barbee: RECRUITING! The guy can recruit. He's a Calipari disciple and he knows how to get players (hopefully, he doesn't do it illegally like his former boss). I would be satsified with Barbee.

Well, if we couldn't get one of the big names like Tubby or Anderson, my next two options are Person and Barbee. One important thing about Barbee's teams at UTEP: IMPROVEMENT FROM SEASON TO SEASON. I'm not gonna post a link, but if you want, go look at UTEP under Barbee. The team shows improvement (in terms of wins) from year to year, and I think this is really important. Another important thing with Barbee: RECRUITING! The guy can recruit. He's a Calipari disciple and he knows how to get players (hopefully, he doesn't do it illegally like his former boss). I would be satisfied with Barbee.

Barbee:

Barbee.jpg

Johnny Jones:

"Jones was named the head basketball coach at North Texas on April 16, 2001, and led the Mean Green to its first Sun Belt Conference Championship and its second NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007. The Mean Green entered the NCAA Tournament after posting a school-record 23 wins in 2006–07, and faced No. 2 seed Memphis in the South Regional First Round.

He followed that up in 2010 with 24 wins and another Sun Belt Tournament championship. North Texas has now won 20 games or more in four consecutive seasons, the most in program history. North Texas has finished with a .500 record or better in each of the last six seasons, which makes this winningest stretch of basketball at UNT since 1931.

Four of Jones' players were named All-Sun Belt Conference, which is the most in North Texas history and ties for the most in Sun Belt history."

-Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Jones_%28basketball_coach%29

Bob Marlin:

"In 10 seasons as Sam Houston State University head men's basketball coach, Bob Marlin has directed the Bearkats to an overall record of 182 victories and

111 losses -- more victories than any other Southland Conference member during that time span.

Since 2000, only one of the 20 NCAA Division I men's basketball teams in Texas (the UT Longhorns) has won more games than Sam Houston. Texas has

won 225 games, followed by Sam Houston 172, Texas Tech 163, UTEP 157, and Texas A&M 142."

-Baden Sports  http://www.badensports.com/coach_profile.cfm?coach_id=19

I think all 3 bring something to the table.  I don't see where Barbee is any better than the other two other than he was ST's early favorite.

Well, if we couldn't get one of the big names like Tubby or Anderson, my next two options are Person and Barbee. One important thing about Barbee's teams at UTEP: IMPROVEMENT FROM SEASON TO SEASON. I'm not gonna post a link, but if you want, go look at UTEP under Barbee. The team shows improvement (in terms of wins) from year to year, and I think this is really important. Another important thing with Barbee: RECRUITING! The guy can recruit. He's a Calipari disciple and he knows how to get players (hopefully, he doesn't do it illegally like his former boss). I would be satisfied with Barbee.

Barbee:

Barbee.jpg

Johnny Jones:

"Jones was named the head basketball coach at North Texas on April 16, 2001, and led the Mean Green to its first Sun Belt Conference Championship and its second NCAA Tournament appearance in 2007. The Mean Green entered the NCAA Tournament after posting a school-record 23 wins in 2006–07, and faced No. 2 seed Memphis in the South Regional First Round.

He followed that up in 2010 with 24 wins and another Sun Belt Tournament championship. North Texas has now won 20 games or more in four consecutive seasons, the most in program history. North Texas has finished with a .500 record or better in each of the last six seasons, which makes this winningest stretch of basketball at UNT since 1931.

Four of Jones' players were named All-Sun Belt Conference, which is the most in North Texas history and ties for the most in Sun Belt history."

Bob Marlin:

"In 10 seasons as Sam Houston State University head men's basketball coach, Bob Marlin has directed the Bearkats to an overall record of 182 victories and

111 losses -- more victories than any other Southland Conference member during that time span.

Since 2000, only one of the 20 NCAA Division I men's basketball teams in Texas (the UT Longhorns) has won more games than Sam Houston. Texas has

won 225 games, followed by Sam Houston 172, Texas Tech 163, UTEP 157, and Texas A&M 142."

I think all 3 bring something to the table.  I don't see where Barbee is any better than the other two other than he was ST's early favorite.

I think what Barbee has up on them is that he is acknowledged as a good recruiter from when he was an Asst. Coach

Barbee:

Barbee.jpg

Johnny Jones:

Bob Marlin:

I think what Barbee has up on them is that he is acknowledged as a good recruiter from when he was an Asst. Coach

How much of that was Barbee and how much of that was Memphis/Calipari?

I've watched all three teams they coach for and utep would beat the other two. Plus barbee has experience at a bb power, so he knows how to handle media, recruiting etc. at a big school (Memphis was pulling in top classes) which goes a long way (see Chizik) so that's my take on it, other than that you could say one may not standout over the other but that's what JJ will be looking for in the interview.

Just a quick question. Wasn't it Calipari's assistants that got in trouble with the NCAA, and technically not him?

Archived