who likely will not sign?

Realistically, who do you think we will have back nexy season? I think we are another arm or two away from being a very dangerous ball club.

I would say Kohlscheen probably comes back. Maybe Patterson or Fradejas. Other than that, I'd be pretty surprised if anyone else was back.

This is exactly what I was thinking. None of our signees were drafted very high so maybe we won't lose any of them.

Is that good news or bad news? On one hand, you don't want to lose your recruiting class to pro ball. On the other hand, if the kids you sign are getting drafted in the 18th round, that can't be real good news either.

I've heard some scouts say that several of AU's signees dropped in the draft because teams felt they would be difficult to sign away from their AU commitment.

I've heard some scouts say that several of AU's signees dropped in the draft because teams felt they would be difficult to sign away from their AU commitment.

That makes sense, and I sure hope it's true. We'll have an entire team to rebuild next year and we will need all hands on deck to get it done.

It would be nice to get a few of these guys back.

It would, but a baseball player's junior year is his time. He has some leverage to demand a bonus by saying he'll just go back to college. After a player's senior season he has no such leverage. He can take what they offer or go teach school.

I want them back as much as the next guy, but if there is some significant money after his junior year a player should jump on it. Unless he has a huge breakout senior year, the money will be much less next year.

It will all be about the dollars for most of these kids and their families. I would be surprised if the JUCO guys, especially Morris don`t sign. We may not know for sure on some of them till mid August. If I was a junior and on the bubble, I would try real hard to have a productive summer in the wooden bat leagues and try to build my stock and increase my bonus.

From a good source there is a chance Fletcher comes back. Based upon if he can get his money. Patterson and Fradejas should more than likely return.

It would be nice to get a few of these guys back.

It would, but a baseball player's junior year is his time. He has some leverage to demand a bonus by saying he'll just go back to college. After a player's senior season he has no such leverage. He can take what they offer or go teach school.

I want them back as much as the next guy, but if there is some significant money after his junior year a player should jump on it. Unless he has a huge breakout senior year, the money will be much less next year.

Players only leverage is his ability and position. Left handed pitcher vs. right handed pitcher. If he is drafted in similar round again next year, money is about the same. Agree on significant money though but what is significant to me may not be to someone. Families financial situation also comes into play as well as fear of future injury. An awful lot for these kids to consider.

I dont understand how MLB teams can waste so many pics for guys that may not sign.  Is this why there are so many rounds?  The whole baseball draft system really puzzles me.  Someone with great insight on it please fill me in. :we:

You only ultimately need 25 of them to work out, so with 50 a year, there is plenty of room to take chances. Teams generally go low-risk on their early picks or offer big money for certain guys, and then take chances and see what happens in the later rounds. If you can get a guy to sign later in the draft, great. If not, you have only wasted a 35th round pick or whatever. Won't make or break you, as most guys in those rounds won't make the majors anyway.

Thanks for the insight.  Another thing i dont like is signees ghetting drafted after they have signed loi?  Does Auburn now have to start over if some of them go pro?

Thanks for the insight.  Another thing i dont like is signees ghetting drafted after they have signed loi?  Does Auburn now have to start over if some of them go pro?

Yes, every recruiting class usually loses a few signees to the pros before school starts in September. It's a fact of life with college recruiting.

Once they enroll in school they can't be drafted again until after their class has finished it's junior year.

Auburn had signed a ton of guys this season though, so they were expecting at least a couple to go pro and for a bunch of the juniors to be drafted and signed. I think the coaching staff probably saw this coming.

Auburn had signed a ton of guys this season though, so they were expecting at least a couple to go pro and for a bunch of the juniors to be drafted and signed. I think the coaching staff probably saw this coming.

And there are actually a few players out there undrafted in JUCO that we may can sign if needed.

How many kids can sign?

You can have a total of 11.7 scholarships and a roster of no more than 30 players. You divide the schollies as best you can to get the best talent. States like Georgia and Florida with lottery scholarship money are able to keep most of their instate players at home. Both schools had the fewest number of out of state players on their rosters this year; both less than 10; of any schools in the SEC. When you can supplement the NCAA limit wit other schollie money it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

"From a good source there is a chance Fletcher comes back. Based upon if he can get his money. Patterson and Fradejas should more than likely return."

A buddy of mine grew up with the Fletcher family and said there is about a 0% chance he's coming back.  That was last Saturday night.  Now, things change in negotiations, but that's the latest I know of. 

Archived