A few player notes

kkolumbo

This is from another poster on Rivals who was kind enough to share this:

No major news here just some general discussion on some guys on the team:

I've heard a few positives about some of the current and new players, had a free minute for a change and wanted to share them with The Bunker.

Michael Dyer is a man. Supposedly already the same size as if not bigger than Fannin already. Not meant to be a knock on Fannin but rather to suggest there is warranted excitement for Dyer to contribute immediately. "Great feet" is what I've heard also. Very excited about him.

Ladarius Owens is supposed to look impressive already. Players feel he will contribute this year without question. Same for Craig Sanders. Players describe Sanders as a "beast" and know he will contribute too.

One of the initial concerns about/knocks on Jessel Curry when he arrived was his size. Everyone said that he was very small. Some doubted if he would be able to put on the weight, but he has worked his butt off and put on 25 pounds or so and is at a much better playing weight. Good for you, Jessel.

Cameron Newton is working his ass off. I hear he is always early to arrive and is on the treadmill after practice too. He is obsessed with getting in phenomenal shape, learning the offense and being a great quarterback. All the other guys are noticing, too. "He is not here to mess around; he's all business." are the types of things other players are saying.

Daren Bates has supposedly put on weight too. He has bulked up, and "now that he knows he's gonna be playing linebacker some, he's getting jacked" is what one player told me. I was thrilled to hear it. I like the idea that the linebackers were recruiting and developing seem to be with the same philosophy that was behind our 2004 group.

A few other quick comments- Heard positive things about Brandon Mosely, "Travon Reed is fast as sh!t" and Ladarious Phillips "is not someone I'd want to meet in the hole".

Again, just had the afternoon off from work and haven't had time to get on here in a while and wanted to share a few things. Once your starting quarterback is set and all your recruits arrive, no news is usually good news at this point in the year. I know everyone is as excited for September 4th to get here as I am... War Eagle

Daren Bates has supposedly put on weight too. He has bulked up, and "now that he knows he's gonna be playing linebacker some, he's getting jacked" is what one player told me. I was thrilled to hear it. I like the idea that the linebackers were recruiting and developing seem to be with the same philosophy that was behind our 2004 group.

Exactly what I love to hear. I just said in another thread how I love the speedy ends and versatile LBs we had during the 04-05 seasons. Would love to get to the hard hitting days again!

How fast is sh!t?  Never mind, I'll ask a bammer.

:laugh:

I paid attention to Sanders and Curry during the spring game. 2 things I saw, Sanders has a motor on him (he never seemed to be the least bit tired), Curry is a sure tackler (I don't care how big he is, if he touches you, you will not get away)

thats awesome to say about Trovon considering they have seen McCalebb for a while now.

I heard that Trovon is nowhere near his potential... when Taylor gets done with him... hes going to be something special.

Exactly what I love to hear. I just said in another thread how I love the speedy ends and versatile LBs we had during the 04-05 seasons. Would love to get to the hard hitting days again!

Your going to see them buddy... We are going to surprise people this year with how good we are on d.

:dunno: I would like to hear about Eltoro Freeman. I hope things work out for the best.  :dunno:

I personally believe that Freeman is going to be just fine.

Its just my opinion of course, but hes has a lot of help around him now, and he will have a better chance to stay healthy... he will also learn more and compete for a starting spot.

Sometimes lighting a fire under these kids is all it takes.

Thanks for the post. It's great to hear that everyone is working hard to get ready for what could be a great season for AU football :wedance: I can hardly wait for the season to get underway. I want to see this from the offense  :tdau: and this from the defense  :beatmullet:

.....Cameron Newton is working his ass off. I hear he is always early to arrive and is on the treadmill after practice too. He is obsessed with getting in phenomenal shape, learning the offense and being a great quarterback. All the other guys are noticing, too. "He is not here to mess around; he's all business." are the types of things other players are saying.....

^^This is the best news of all, IMO.^^

I think the 03 defense was the best but I do recall around the 03-05 time frame some linebackers saying how they enjoyed knocking the snot out of QBs...something about drooling and snot running down QBs faces!?!

Michael Dyer is a man. Supposedly already the same size as if not bigger than Fannin already.

I'm sure MD has gotten bigger but I don't see him being on Fannin's level just yet. That dude is absolutely ripped

I personally believe that Freeman is going to be just fine.

Its just my opinion of course, but hes has a lot of help around him now, and he will have a better chance to stay healthy... he will also learn more and compete for a starting spot.

Sometimes lighting a fire under these kids is all it takes.

I hope I'm dead wrong about this, I really do, but I don't see Eltoro making an impact this coming season.  I expect to see Jonathan Evans and some of the freshmen get regular playing time.  Evans looks to be an extremely solid player.  We'll be fine with or without Eltoro.

Archived