OLDEST AE MEMBER

I'll bore you guys with one more story, prompted by a chat I was having with JS involving recruiting and this agent thing.  I played on a State Championship team in North Carolina in 1960, and myself and several teammates went on several recruiting trips.  To point out how ridiculous recruiting is, three of us were invited to the University of Virginia for an official visit.  At that time, UVA , under Bill Elias, had the nation's longest losing streak at 28 games.  The minute we stepped on the tarmac, we were given "spending money" ( a violaton), spent Friday night at a frat party with heavy drinking (a violation), access to hostesses(a violation), and other things I'm too embarassed to mention.  I went on other trips, all pretty much the same, but the trip to UVA stood out because of the 28 game losing streak, and everyone thinks of the school as this celebral, Ivy League type school. 

Thanks for sharing, pops.  I love hearing old stories such as this.  Yep, just imagine the stuff that goes on nowadays.  Wow! 

I'll bore you guys with one more story, prompted by a chat I was having with JS involving recruiting and this agent thing.  I played on a State Championship team in North Carolina in 1960, and myself and several teammates went on several recruiting trips.  To point out how ridiculous recruiting is, three of us were invited to the University of Virginia for an official visit.  At that time, UVA , under Bill Elias, had the nation's longest losing streak at 28 games.  The minute we stepped on the tarmac, we were given "spending money" ( a violaton), spent Friday night at a frat party with heavy drinking (a violation), access to hostesses(a violation), and other things I'm too embarassed to mention.  I went on other trips, all pretty much the same, but the trip to UVA stood out because of the 28 game losing streak, and everyone thinks of the school as this celebral, Ivy League type school. 

I'm starting to think old(er) age is not the reason for your memory loss Pops!    :tease::thumbsup:

I'm starting to think old(er) age is not the reason for your memory loss Pops!    :tease::thumbsup:

What?  Where am I?

I'm up late with my granddaughter, who has a cold.  My wife gave me a reprieve, so I'll give you one more, and I promise, the last.  In the 1960's, the Auburn ladies lived in dorms.  The sororities, Phi Mu, Tri Delt, etc,. all had their bases within the dorms(they hated it). When you went to pick up your date, you were required to  call her down to the desk(much like a hotel), where she would sign out.  When you returned, she would go back and sign back in.  If you had a blind date ( Helen Keller Hall was te best place to get a blind date), the same would apply.  There were curfews of like 10PM on school nites and 11PM on weekends. Yes, there was(is) a womans dorm named after Hellen Keller!  If it became rather late on Saturday night, and you didn't have a date, you could always call the dorm and the young lady that answered would be happy to make your acquaintance!  My dear lord, how things have changed!!  BTW, ask any of the other seasoned members of this site if this isn't accurate.  Gotta go, baby's crying!!

• Like 1

Ok Pops, I have to add my two cents worth. There were 10 dorms around the Quad back then and you are correct for the most part on the times. For freshman girls they had to have been signed back in by 8:30 during the week until they made their grades and then got to stay out all the way to 9:15. For sophs on up the limit was still 9:15 during the week.The 11:00 sounds right for the weekends. There were other dorms scattered about the campus ie Alumni Hall etc which was across the street from Samford on College street. I don't know if it is still there or not.

I dated a girl who lived in Dorm 10 and the housemother there was the meanest b---- you would ever come across. We called her "Bloody Mary". She had a face that would stop and 100 car freight train and probably tipped the scales at about 275. She was really hell on the girls and seemed to take great pleasure on restricting them for any slight violation of the rules. Looking back on it, I think it was just jealousy and envy on her part. Sort of sad really.

The Phi Mus were in Dorm 5 and arguably had the best looking girls on campus. Not that the other dorms didn't have any but the Phi Mus seemed to stand out in the looks department. When I returned to Auburn in 1973 to finish what I started back in 1957 I was amazed at the changes that had taken place. augolf and I were there at the same time and have talked about the activities back then. Especially the streakers. Boy had times changed. Well I will quit for now. Just thought I would share. WDE  :thumbsup:

Ok Pops, I have to add my two cents worth. There were 10 dorms around the Quad back then and you are correct for the most part on the times. For freshman girls they had to have been signed back in by 8:30 during the week until they made their grades and then got to stay out all the way to 9:15. For sophs on up the limit was still 9:15 during the week.The 11:00 sounds right for the weekends. There were other dorms scattered about the campus ie Alumni Hall etc which was across the street from Samford on College street. I don't know if it is still there or not.

I dated a girl who lived in Dorm 10 and the housemother there was the meanest b---- you would ever come across. We called her "Bloody Mary". She had a face that would stop and 100 car freight train and probably tipped the scales at about 275. She was really hell on the girls and seemed to take great pleasure on restricting them for any slight violation of the rules. Looking back on it, I think it was just jealousy and envy on her part. Sort of sad really.

The Phi Mus were in Dorm 5 and arguably had the best looking girls on campus. Not that the other dorms didn't have any but the Phi Mus seemed to stand out in the looks department. When I returned to Auburn in 1973 to finish what I started back in 1957 I was amazed at the changes that had taken place. augolf and I were there at the same time and have talked about the activities back then. Especially the streakers. Boy had times changed. Well I will quit for now. Just thought I would share. WDE  :thumbsup:

slammer the Phi Mu's weren't to bad in the early 70's either. I dated one, Pam, from Winter Haven, Fl. They really did have alot of female dorms scattered all over the campus. I hadn't thought about that much but I know the girls could not want to get out of most of them to get an apartment. Now once they got an apartment that's when the real fun started.

I think they moved most of the sororities over to The Village(dorms) next to the Arena. Phi Mus were still the hottest when I was at AU 2000-03. War Eagle!!

Wow, some things never change. I am looking forward to getting back to the campus this season and see whats up for myself. I did go to the A-Day game but didn't have a lot of time to look around. Golf, there were a few in my time that didn't live in a dorm and one I dated father was the chief pilot at Delta. Boy did I blow that one. She was really neat but like you said in an earlier post, when you are young you do stupid things. I was no exception. Life is a series of decisions. I made some good ones but I made some real boners. Overall I have had one hell of a run so no regrets. There isn't enough money on this earth to replace my time as a pilot in the Marine Corps. What a ride. BTW, this site was down for a long time. As a Mod, what was the deal? Maintenance??

Wow, some things never change. I am looking forward to getting back to the campus this season and see whats up for myself. I did go to the A-Day game but didn't have a lot of time to look around. Golf, there were a few in my time that didn't live in a dorm and one I dated father was the chief pilot at Delta. Boy did I blow that one. She was really neat but like you said in an earlier post, when you are young you do stupid things. I was no exception. Life is a series of decisions. I made some good ones but I made some real boners. Overall I have had one hell of a run so no regrets. There isn't enough money on this earth to replace my time as a pilot in the Marine Corps. What a ride. BTW, this site was down for a long time. As a Mod, what was the deal? Maintenance??

You blew that one and made some real boners?  Hm......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How bout I made a big mistake career wise and a lot of bad decisions. Good lord, Im glad I'm not thin skinned  ;D

I knew what you were saying, and great story!!!

Pops, just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in Nashville? I was such a sweet child my mother sent me to this military academy/penitentiary in Lebanon for my high school ed. The school doesn't exist anymore but the buildings are still there. Just wondered if you are familiar with it.

Pops, just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in Nashville? I was such a sweet child my mother sent me to this military academy/penitentiary in Lebanon for my high school ed. The school doesn't exist anymore but the buildings are still there. Just wondered if you are familiar with it.

Been here since 1992, but do not know about that school.  But I will promise you I will research it and get back to you.  WDE!!

So you have a head start it was called Castle Heights Military Academy. I would still be in high school if it weren't for that place. I had some very bad discipline problems back then and if it wasn't for the Marine Corps I don't know what would have become of me. And thats no BS. If you have the opportunity to go through Lebanon check it out. All the buildings of the school look like castles. I think they are office buildings now. Also,I have a very close friend and big time golf buddy here in Dawsonville that went to Father Ryans in Nashville. A nice Irish Catholic dude like me.  ;D He played football at Tennessee :thumbsup: A real piece of work.

So you have a head start it was called Castle Heights Military Academy. I would still be in high school if it weren't for that place. I had some very bad discipline problems back then and if it wasn't for the Marine Corps I don't know what would have become of me. And thats no BS. If you have the opportunity to go through Lebanon check it out. All the buildings of the school look like castles. I think they are office buildings now. Also,I have a very close friend and big time golf buddy here in Dawsonville that went to Father Ryans in Nashville. A nice Irish Catholic dude like me.  ;D He played football at Tennessee :thumbsup: A real piece of work.

Slammer, send me a PM.  We have a lot in common, my kids went to Father Ryan!!  I go to Lady of the Lake Church in Hendersonville.  Because I am a history buff, I will promise you that me and my wife will go to Lebanon and research this!!!  I know you went to the old FR campus on West End, but have you seen the new campus off Franklin Road?  It's AUsome!!

I think we all have. :-X

Time for another story. Hopefully you want be bored.

1975 my girlfriend at the time, Mitzi M., and I went to the Chi Omega Spring Formal at Lake Martin near Alexander City. We double dated with a friend of Mitzi's. Here name is Peggy K. and she was a finalist for Miss Auburn. God she was good looking. Well my Mitzi gets drunk as you know what and Peggy's date, Roger a Lambda Chi, got totally wiped out drunk. He and Peggy fought the entire time. Because of Peggy and Mitzi being close friends we had double dating many times. He was always jealous of guys looking and flirting with Peggy. Did I say she damn good looking, long blond hair from Miami, Fl. with a shape to go with it. The formal is finally over and we are in my car. Roger is fighting with me and Peggy because he wants to drive. I think I forgot to tell you my Mitzi is passed out now. Remember again drunk driving was not look upon the way it is now. Peggy pleas with me to let him drive just to stop the fighting so we can leave. So I had to get Mitzi out of the front seat and put her in the back seat totally passed out. Now the fun really starts. We actually make it outside the city limits of Alexander City on the 2 lane road back to Auburn. I'm in the backseat with passed out Mitzi, Roger is driving now and Peggy is asleep in front passenger seat. Next thing you know a blue light from behind comes on. Roger was going only 20 mph in a 50mph zone and the cop pulled us over. Roger gets arrested the cop looks at me and says you follow me in your car. Now I start following this cop and he going about 60 mph and I have trouble staying up with him especially on 2 lanes and I have to admit I had a very drinks myself. We get to the police station they lock Roger up and they keep us their because I know these country boy cops are really enjoying looking at Peggy. Roger's yelling from his jail cell, Peggy's crying on me and Mitzi is STILL passed out in the backseat of my car. After making us wait 4 hours at the jail they said they are keeping Roger and we could get him out in a day or two. So we leave I'm driving Peggy's crying on my shoulder, Mitzi still passed out and I'm about to fall asleep because its 7:00am and I've had no sleep. We make it back I call Roger's fart. brothers to let them know they can get his a** out of jail. I drop both girls off at the dorm but I needed help from Peggy to get Mitzi inside. So Mitzi had missed everything being passed out. Later that afternoon Mitzi calls me crying feeling so bad/guilty about drinking to much and passing out that we had a great date that night. Heck she even cooked and cleaned my apartment the next day as well. On a side note I don't know how Peggy didn't win Miss Auburn she was clearly the best looking one by a long shot.

golf,  you called Roger's "fart brothers"????  :yay: But it was a good story, you know tooooooo many women from Miami. I didn't know we had that kind of draw  from Miami. Do you think she was at the party that all the jocks are in trouble over now??

golf,  you called Roger's "fart brothers"????  :yay: But it was a good story, you know tooooooo many women from Miami. I didn't know we had that kind of draw  from Miami. Do you think she was at the party that all the jocks are in trouble over now??

After the kind of night I had that night all Lambda Chi's were fart's to me. I did date alot of girls from Miami and the state of Fl. that went to AU. Funny how that worked out. I had about 6 Theta Chi brothers from Fl. as well. Plus I met my wife in West Palm Beach, Fl in 1976.