• Doc Robinsom
    • Quantez Robertson
    • Dewayne Reed
    • Scott Pohlman
    • John Mengelt
    • Eddie Johnson
    • Wes Flanigan
    • Ronnie Battle

I voted for Fast Eddie he and John Mengelt were the two best guards I ever saw at Auburn.  However both were more shooting guards than Point Guards. The difference is that Eddie could play either and that John was the best pure shooter I have ever seen at Auburn.

did you ever see Tay Waller play

Child, and I use that because you are young, not immature, you obviously never saw and may have never heard of John Mengelt. Go back and do a little studying. Tay was an OK shooter but very few if any Auburn guard ever approached Mengelt`s over all game by game career.

No one and I mean no can match John “Crash”  Mengelt shooting

I never saw Mengelt play so I will defer to you with anything in regards to him but I can't imagine many people being much better than  either of the Person brothers when it comes to shooting the rock. chuck put on a show at one of the basketball camps I went to back in Sonny's days. He was walking around the 3 point line talking about how easy it was to shoot 3's. He hit something like 25 3's in a row before he missed.

As far as the original question the best I ever saw at Auburn was Doc. Another pretty good PG that isn't on your list is Moochie Norris.

Agree on the Person`s shooting ability. Main reason I guess they haven`t been mentioned here is that it started out as a PG discussion. Good point on them both though.

I voted for Fast Eddie he and John Mengelt were the two best guards I ever saw at Auburn.  However both were more shooting guards than Point Guards. The difference is that Eddie could play either and that John was the best pure shooter I have ever seen at Auburn.

Child, and I use that because you are young, not immature, you obviously never saw and may have never heard of John Mengelt. Go back and do a little studying. Tay was an OK shooter but very few if any Auburn guard ever approached Mengelt`s over all game by game career.

No one and I mean no can match John “Crash”  Mengelt shooting

I never saw Mengelt play so I will defer to you with anything in regards to him but I can't imagine many people being much better than  either of the Person brothers when it comes to shooting the rock. chuck put on a show at one of the basketball camps I went to back in Sonny's days. He was walking around the 3 point line talking about how easy it was to shoot 3's. He hit something like 25 3's in a row before he missed.

As far as the original question the best I ever saw at Auburn was Doc. Another pretty good PG that isn't on your list is Moochie Norris.

Very good points but if Mengelt had a three point line back then he would have scored closer to 75 points instead of the 60 he scored.

if i had not heard off john mengelt i would have not put him on there

with all due respect to the fine AU players. The "best" list is a list of two:

Gerald White

Doc Robinson

While Wes Flannigan is one of my all-time favorites, no one else compares to White and Doc.

WDE!

THIS^^^ is all that needs to be said! Best two PURE point guards in AU history... PERIOD!

Moochie Norris was pretty good in his one season too! He averaged almost 5 apg in 94'/95' to go with 12.5 pts, 4 rbs and almost 2 steals per... plus he was DEADLY from 3!  :we:

Doc is DEFINITELY the best I have ever seen, and I'm a little biased b/c I was there when he was... but White was probably THE best ever! From the AU B-ball media guide...

Gerald White (1983-87) * Guard * 6-1, 185 * Augusta, GA (Richmond Academy)

Auburn’s all-time assist leader with 624 career assists ... tied for eighth with 122 games played ... holds Auburn’s single-season assist record with 221 in 1985-86 and is fourth with 185 in 1984-85 (was second when he graduated) ... four-Year starter at point guard who helped lead Auburn to its first four NCAA Tournament berths ... the Tigers went to the Elite Eight in 1986 and the Sweet 16 in 1985 ... had a double-double with 17 points and 10 assists vs. eventual national champion and third-ranked Indiana in the 1987 NCAA Tournament second round ... holds Auburn’s NCAA Tournament assist record with 10 each vs. Indiana and then vs. UNLV in 1986 ... nailed six-straight free throws down the stretch vs. Kansas in the 1985 NCAA Tournament second round ... made 16-of-19 free throws in the 1986 NCAA Tournament as the Tigers reached the Elite Eight ... played a key role in Auburn’s run to the 1985 SEC Tournament Championship in becoming the first team to win four games in four days as he was slowed by a severe ankle sprain in the semifinals and finals ... hit a pair of free throws with :10 remaining in overtime vs. Alabama to give Auburn its only SEC Tournament Championship in 1985 ... named to several All-SEC Freshman teams in 1983-84 ... drafted by the Dallas Mavericks in the seventh round of the 1987 NBA Draft.

Hearing of and seeing are two different things. I like this thread you started; it has brought about a lot of good conversation at a time when basketball is usually barely mentioned. Keep up the good work.

Hearing of and seeing are two different things. I like this thread you started; it has brought about a lot of good conversation at a time when basketball is usually barely mentioned. Keep up the good work.

Thanks but my dad talks about how great John was all the time so i think i got a feeling on how good he was

Since the original question is best PG ever at AU, I don't see how it could be anyone other than Doc Robinson. Shooting guards, best overall player, whatever- that's a different ballgame altogether. But running the point? Doc, hands down for me. WDE.

Since the original question is best PG ever at AU, I don't see how it could be anyone other than Doc Robinson. Shooting guards, best overall player, whatever- that's a different ballgame altogether. But running the point? Doc, hands down for me. WDE.

Can`t go wrong with Doc for sure.

I didn't think Mengelt was a point guard.

Me either. But he was a heck of a basketball player. Still has the highest career scoring average at Auburn even without the benefit of the three point shot.

Archived