Bicycle Help Needed

chuck

some little punk hooligan stole my bicycle out of my garage (note, if I ever see anyone riding this bike in my neighboorhood, even if its a 80 year old woman, I'm taking them out with my car) - so I am in need of a new one.

I have been riding all on asphalt, but would like to eventually ride off road also (so a street bike is not an option).

I'm hoping to spend between $500-$600 - can anyone help me out. Recommended brands, styles, things to look for, . .please

Thanks in advance.

I got into mountain biking when I lived up north. I eventually came upon a GT that I still have. Its been a great bike, very lightweight and came with good components. If you want it to be versatile, I'd get a hardtail trail bike. I personally think that full suspension bikes are over-rated and misued (but they are nice, don't get me wrong).

Back in the day, FS bikes were mainly used for downhill competition due to their weight, and necessity of the suspension to provide better control. XC style bikes were generally hardtail because they are lighter weight and the suspension absorbs pedaling energy, especially when travelling up hills. However, in recent years FS has gradually converted to XC style bikes thanks to some technology in frame design and in the drivetrain.

Several good brands are:

GT

Trek

Specialized

Gary Fischer

Cannondale

All these make bikes with no shocks, a hard tail, and front and rear shocks.

As far as frames, they come in several materials. Cromoly is perhaps the cheapest, and its very strong. The downside is that it tends to be a tad bit heavier than the other materials. Aluminum is very lightweight, costs a little more than cromoly, but is substansially weaker and succeptable to bending. Titanium is light, strong, and expensive. Carbon fiber is the same, and it also provides some vibration damping characteristics. For most riders, cromoly is adequate. The weight is not a huge issue for most people because its generally only a couple of pounds (but on the other hand, 2 pounds on a 20 lb bike is 10% of its weight). My GT is cromoly and weighed 23lbs stock if I remember correctly. If you really abuse your bike and ride it like its meant to be ridden, I would avoid aluminum. But if its just a recreational, ride from here to there bike, aluminum is fine.

Here's a pretty good GT, front shock, aluminum frame, decent components....

Trek has some really good ones here too.

Good luck, let me know if I was any help, and just ask if you need more.

I got a specialized hard rock pro mountain bike. Really good bike and even has disc brakes instead of pads which is nice. Think the cost was $550, got it at Kinnucans. They said it is one of their top selling models.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6015

I have a GT, it is a great bike.

Other good ones in my opinion are.. Marin, Kona, Rocky Mountain and Gary Fisher. Personally I dislike Trek and Cannondale.

For your needs and price range I would definately go with a hard tail.

Here's a Marin bike...

Marin - Bear Valley

Kona's website.. they are a little higher priced..

Kona

Here's a nice Rocky Mountain.. these bikes will cost you a little bit more, but very nice and well made..

Rocky Mountain - Hammer

My favorite Gary Fisher bike is the Hoo Koo E Koo, but it is quite a bit more than you want to spend but this one is very nice too..

Gary Fisher - Tassajara

I hope you catch the punk that stole your bike, my friend just had his $1000 Trek bike stolen.

wow guys - thanks for all of your help - a few questions:

I see a lot about different frame sizes - what do they mean, why are they important?

What is a hard tail? Is that just no shocks in the back?

I've seen bikes with a shock actually under the seat - is that worth it?

Since I ride so much on the road - but don't want to be excluded from trail rides, is their a type (not brand) of bike that I want? Is this what a hybrid is?

Thanks again!

Hard tail: no shock

Look for a good 4 link rear suspension, IMO.

If you do a majority of riding on the road a good hard tail my be the best choice. Less (much) weight and lower cost than a full suspension bike. Plus if most of your riding is on pavement, rear suspension is of little benefit.

(1) any recommendations on Derailleur's - a guy at work said I should go for LX front and XT back?

(2) any conclusion on frame type (metal)

(1) any recommendations on Derailleur's - a guy at work said I should go for LX front and XT back?

(2) any conclusion on frame type (metal)

If you want LX front and XT back you're gonna be looking at quite a bit more than $500 - $600(unless you buy a used bike). You might be able to find Deore front and LX back for $600, but more likely you will get Deore front and back derailleurs.

And frame type, the lighter the more expensive. Chromoly is a good solid frame and weight isn't that big of a concern for your needs.

Frame size depends on your height. I am 6'1" and my bike frame is too small, but I have the seat up as high as it will go so it is fine for me.

I've never heard of Motobecane before. The price on the link you gave says $895 not $495. Which is more likely with the LX components.

KHS makes good bikes, I forgot to mention them. When I was buying a bike a couple of years ago they were getting strong consideration.

actually, I know the net said $800 - but the store was selling it for $495. I actually went with a Trek 4600 with Sram X-7 derailleurs. . . various bike shops told me Sram X-7's were anywhere between the equivalent of Shimano XT's to Deone's . .

Anyone know anything about them?

Archived