Is our athletic department "too religious"?

• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#1 DyeHardAllTheWay

DyeHardAllTheWay

Professor

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

It's a serious and deserving question to be posed. I think that we hear so much about hiring "men of God" and "men of character" at Auburn, and I think it's a little overwhelming and kind of cheesy at times. I remember this article from a while back, and I think it's pretty revealing:

http://www.thewizofo...-at-auburn.html

#2 gAUlf

gAUlf

Voice of Reason

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

No. Hiring and trying to recruit men of character is obviously better than the alternative.

#3 VA Tiger

VA Tiger

Asst Coach

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Maybe not "ecumenical" enough?

#4 DyeHardAllTheWay

DyeHardAllTheWay

Professor

• Verified Member
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I just don't understand why we can't hire coaches to do what their job description says - which is to win. They're not there to teach Sunday school.

#5 Mikey

Mikey

Expert Evaluator of Linebacker Talent & Depth

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.

#6 DyeCampAlum

DyeCampAlum

Asst Professor

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm serious about my Christian faith, but I don't believe "Christian" talk correlates much with good character. And in a state university, defining a program in those terms is way out of line. I could do with less cheesiness.

On the other hand, I also believe people should have a right to be open about their faith.

#7 telling tiger

telling tiger

BOT Chairman

• Verified Member
  • 18,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMikey, on 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.
Spot on.

#8 WDE_OxPx_2010

WDE_OxPx_2010

Professor

• Verified Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010, 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM.

To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that's Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. -Former Auburn Defensive End Reggie Torbor

Posted Image

#9 Mikey

Mikey

Expert Evaluator of Linebacker Talent & Depth

• Verified Member
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostWDE_OxPx_2010, on 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

Does it not bother you that factoring religion into hiring practices at a public institution is illegal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users