Is our athletic department "too religious"?

• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#1 DyeHardAllTheWay

DyeHardAllTheWay

Tenured Professor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

It's a serious and deserving question to be posed. I think that we hear so much about hiring "men of God" and "men of character" at Auburn, and I think it's a little overwhelming and kind of cheesy at times. I remember this article from a while back, and I think it's pretty revealing:

http://www.thewizofo...-at-auburn.html

#2 gAUlf

gAUlf

Voice of Reason

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

No. Hiring and trying to recruit men of character is obviously better than the alternative.

#3 VA Tiger

VA Tiger

Asst Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Maybe not "ecumenical" enough?

#4 DyeHardAllTheWay

DyeHardAllTheWay

Tenured Professor

• Banned
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I just don't understand why we can't hire coaches to do what their job description says - which is to win. They're not there to teach Sunday school.

#5 Mikey

Mikey

Expert Evaluator of Linebacker Talent & Depth

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.

#6 DyeCampAlum

DyeCampAlum

Professor

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm serious about my Christian faith, but I don't believe "Christian" talk correlates much with good character. And in a state university, defining a program in those terms is way out of line. I could do with less cheesiness.

On the other hand, I also believe people should have a right to be open about their faith.

#7 telling tiger

telling tiger

BOT Chairman

• Verified Member
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMikey, on 12 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.
Spot on.

#8 WDE_OxPx_2010

WDE_OxPx_2010

Professor

• Verified Member
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010, 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM.

To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that's Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. -Former Auburn Defensive End Reggie Torbor

Posted Image

#9 Mikey

Mikey

Expert Evaluator of Linebacker Talent & Depth

• Verified Member
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostWDE_OxPx_2010, on 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

Does it not bother you that factoring religion into hiring practices at a public institution is illegal?

#10 DyeCampAlum

DyeCampAlum

Professor

• Verified Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Let's face it, "Christian" people live lots of different kinds of ways. I have my biases about which ones I can live with.... I get concerned when "Christian" is used to get people a friendly hearing, extra leash on the job, or public good will that's not available to others.

#11 AdamsHouseCat

AdamsHouseCat

AU Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Why would you bring up a 4 year old article, two coaching staff's in arrears, to start a new controversial thread?

#12 DyeCampAlum

DyeCampAlum

Professor

• Verified Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostAdamsHouseCat, on 12 April 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Why would you bring up a 4 year old article, two coaching staff's in arrears, to start a new controversial thread?

Isn't it odd that the article still applies through three coaching staffs? Makes you wonder if Auburn WOULD hire a less pious HC.

#13 DyeHardAllTheWay

DyeHardAllTheWay

Tenured Professor

• Banned
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

1) The article is as relevant, if not moreso now, as it was then. Jay Jacobs, who has made no secret of his Christian faith, still leads this atrocious program. And the hires he has made reflect that faith, which is why a 519 coach was chosen over several more qualified candidates, and why this year, an insider to the program that led several private Christian high schools, was chosen.

2) Why do you think we're on a message board? The whole purpose is to discuss controversial topics. There would be no need for a forum without them.

#14 AU_Tiger_88

AU_Tiger_88

Tenured Professor

• Verified Member
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

when you bring religion into the workplace....not all that happens will be good!  It is against the law to discriminate based on religion...and sometimes the statements from those that be seem mighty religious...and some seem to wear it on their sleeves...

#15 BeatBama1345162851

BeatBama1345162851

Asst Coach

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostMikey, on 12 April 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostWDE_OxPx_2010, on 12 April 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Does it not bother you that factoring religion into hiring practices at a public institution is illegal?

No!

#16 EagleReedle

EagleReedle

BeatBama

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Too religious? No, but tinkering on the edge.

I think Auburn as a whole (Lee County) but also in particular within the athletic department are constantly on the cusp of being overly conservative christian but it is also something that sets us apart in an odd way. Au does seem to hire a certain type of man but it works, besides,I believe the collective consciousness of the Auburn family would not accept anyone else. Right or wrong as it may or may not be we are not the Crimson turds and generally are very choosy about our coaches from a character and morality standpoint. Although the Bobby Petrino folks (I was one for a time) make me think otherwise  but that is probably just a knee jerk reaction from our fall from glory plus we were really scorned as fans last season and were grasping for instant fix.  

Sidenote - It's always good to have a genuine man of the faith like Chette Williams in the program.

Edited by EagleReedle, 12 April 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#17 TheBlueVue

TheBlueVue

BOT Chairman

• Verified Member
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostDyeCampAlum, on 12 April 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Isn't it odd that the article still applies through three coaching staffs? Makes you wonder if Auburn WOULD hire a less pious HC.
  For someone who professes the faith, you've posted  3 or 4 times in a way that leads me to wonder about your sincerity. Your cavalier use of the word "pious" is a big tell for me

#18 AURaptor

AURaptor

Not impossible. Just a bit unlikely.

• Verified Member
  • 26,983 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostVA Tiger, on 12 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Maybe not "ecumenical" enough?

While I don't mind  that AU is seen as god friendly, I reject the idea that ONLY god fearing Christians are what constitutes a good "Auburn man ".

Come to learn, come to play football, come to be solid citizens. If that includes a strong Christian fellowship , fine. But it should not be first and foremost.

So, to answer the question ... yes, I think AU is a bit too religious.
“A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.” - Milton Friendman

" Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something." - Winston Churchill

#19 1auburn1

1auburn1

Rogue Booster

• Verified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

No, but I think we have pushed the "Family" angle too much.  How many recruits come in and their main reason for choosing AU is because it feels like "family".  Weigh that against how many in recent years have said the main reason they want to come to AU is to win conference and national titles and I think that, possibly, we've gotten some kids that don't have that "edge" on them.  They can all play ball but do they have that drive for excellence?   Something I've been mulling over.

#20 tbone4jc

tbone4jc

Tenured Professor

• Verified Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostDyeHardAllTheWay, on 12 April 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

1) The article is as relevant, if not moreso now, as it was then. Jay Jacobs, who has made no secret of his Christian faith, still leads this atrocious program. And the hires he has made reflect that faith, which is why a 5–19 coach was chosen over several more qualified candidates, and why this year, an insider to the program that led several private Christian high schools, was chosen.

2) Why do you think we're on a message board? The whole purpose is to discuss controversial topics. There would be no need for a forum without them.

Hate to bring this up but 2010 was a pretty good year. And in the opinion of many here on this board, the ex high school coach was a pivotal reason why we won the a fore NC mentioned and why a certain 6'6" 250 lb QB  came to AU. This being the second hire of a football coach of JJ's tenure and the top two candidates that I recall were CGM and Petrino. I am a devout Christian and have been for 18 years but I wanted Petrino over CGM because he is a proven winner, IMO. His character was in question but his record was not. I stand 100% behind the hiring of CGM, especially the Asst. coaching staff. Is CTB for the BBall team a Christian? What about our baseball coach? Woman's BBall? I will take a wait and see approach before call CGM a flop...
Posted Image

WAR EAGLE BABY!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users