Cutting the cable-SEC network

AU66

guys, considering we probably have similar viewing tastes and we know Dish network has the network, i think it may be a good time to make the switch. I`ve read satellite is superior to cable but I've never not had cable. Any of you guys ever had Dish or Direct TV and wished you had cable back? (the 24 month contract concerns me)

The first time it rains and cuts out your satellite signal during an Auburn game you will want cable back.

+ True story.

I have had cable and now have directv. If you have a decent cable provider (is that possible?) it is better. The statement about the rain is true. Hard rain no picture.

UVerse

I have EPB fiber optics in Chattanooga and I love it. With that said they do not have the SEC network yet so I went and bought me a tailgater with dish and I can pay as I go instead of having a contract .A little bit Pricy but worth it in the long run.

I have had charter, directv, and u-verse. Yes directv will lose signal for a few minutes in a hard rain storm, but then it is back. If your antennae is properly aimed for a good signal the time the signal is lost is minimized. I actually prefer the directv service. Charter is dead last. Poor service and it is a very fragil service. In a storm charter would go off for and hour or more as their signal repeater sites would go down and stay down.

u-verse is very good, but not available many places and only when Att is the local telephone company. Directv is available nationwide. Another plus for directv is the control you have with directv. In a power outage you can run directv receivers off a generator and get service. The land based cable services will usually be out of service once their backup batteries die.

You can also take one of your directv receivers with a portable antennae and use it while on vacation at a lake cabin, at a tailgate, or some place you're visiting that does not have cable.

I have had Dish Network for 16 years. I will NEVER go to anything else unless there's a merger. Picture is impeccable and while a heavy rain can/will lose your signal, its not nearly as bad or as often as most would have you believe. I have cox internet but its the only thing I have with the cable company.

Had I been a direcTV customer (which I NEVER will be), I would have been switching companies a few months ago the second the merger with att was announced. I hate att with a passion.

I have EPB fiber optics in Chattanooga and I love it. With that said they do not have the SEC network yet so I went and bought me a tailgater with dish and I can pay as I go instead of having a contract .A little bit Pricy but worth it in the long run.

I'm in chatt too and I have epb. I don't like Comcast I hope I don't have to switch to them

Going to satellite isn't cutting the cable. :D

Be a real man and get rid of that over priced junk. Then go to a friend's house who is too dumb to cut the cable for the games!

Due to my living in the sticks, I had no choice but satellite up until two years ago. I had Dish, and unlike some of the others, losing signal wasn't much of a problem unless we were in a sho' nuff storm. Great picture quality and the DVR was great, too. The only big cons was the price and the DSL internet, which was virtually indistinguishable from dialup speed, prone to malfunctions, and very overpriced. Bright House started offering service on our road, and we made the switch. Its not nearly as good overall as Dish, but considering my bill is about $75 a month less, I'll take it. Now if they don't get something worked out with the SEC network, that may change real quick.

Going to satellite isn't cutting the cable. :D/>

Be a real man and get rid of that over priced junk. Then go to a friend's house who is too dumb to cut the cable for the games!

you don't eeven need to go to your friends house. You just have to know the right site to stream your games off of and hook that up to your tv! Also you can stream multiple games if your service is fast enough

guys, considering we probably have similar viewing tastes and we know Dish network has the network, i think it may be a good time to make the switch. I`ve read satellite is superior to cable but I've never not had cable. Any of you guys ever had Dish or Direct TV and wished you had cable back? (the 24 month contract concerns me)

Had Direct, dumped it as soon as I could and got Dish. Never have regretted it. No, I wouldn't want to go back to cable.

The only downside I've ever seen with Dish is that when the rain is really pounding it can tend to lose signal. It usually comes back fairly quickly as soon as the rain slows. The picture is great. Never used Direct and I never would. The packages Dish offer are way better and the price lower. We recently upgraded our DVR to a Hopper with a Joey. The customer service rep I worked with told me we had been customers for 14 years. I didn't even realize it. That says something to me. Obviously its working well enough and we have had so few problems that it just became part of life, something we never think about. That sounds weird but I think you guys know what I mean. Anyway I wouldn't worry about a contract..obviously the time flew for us! I also highly recommend the Hopper. Having the prime time anytime means there is always something to watch even if it is temporarily raining!

• 2 weeks later...

Mother switched from Dish/Direct to Cable. Wind and snow had a nasty effect (which is common in Chicago) as did rain.

I have Charter now, and I really don't like it but its the only choice I have.

Any news on CHARTER getting the SEC network?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out of pocket right now (deployed) so I haven't had much time to really do any research. I cut cable about a month ago and ended up having my wife get Dish network. We have the Americas Top 120 package. Through emails she's been telling me that we don't get SEC Network unless we have the Top 200 pack. However, when I look it up, every website says all we need is the top 120.

Do any of you have dish? If so, what package, and do you have SEC Network included? Thanks.

I'm out of pocket right now (deployed) so I haven't had much time to really do any research. I cut cable about a month ago and ended up having my wife get Dish network. We have the Americas Top 120 package. Through emails she's been telling me that we don't get SEC Network unless we have the Top 200 pack. However, when I look it up, every website says all we need is the top 120.

Do any of you have dish? If so, what package, and do you have SEC Network included? Thanks.

If you have the Top 120 Package you should have the SEC Network. If you go to the DISH web site you will see that it is included. Good luck. :)

Apparently there is a top 120 and a top 120+. That's where they got us. It's a $5 difference. Ridiculous.

You're right Browning. I just went to their site and there is a 120 Plus. Seems a little chincy to me. You mentioned you are deployed. I assume you are in the military, what branch? Retired Jarhead here.

Archived