Week 9 (Auburn vs. South Carolina) - Tuesday Updates

RunInRed

HC Gus Malzahn

Ryan Black/WarEagleExtra (via YouTube)

This is important, Gus Malzahn is sporting his gameday sweater vest for today's press conference.

Malzahn: Auburn senior safety Jermaine Whitehead has been reinstated to the team, practiced Sunday. "I don't have a timetable goes."

Malzahn doesn't know when Whitehead will make his return to the field, no timetable for that yet. Hasn't practiced during suspension.

Malzahn on RT/LG Avery Young: He's got the flexibility of playing both (guard and tackle).

Malzahn on first-down issues: "It really comes down to execution part. We were very efficient in the second half last year."

Malzahn: "It all works together, as far as when something bad happens." Reiterates "cohesion" on the OL will be key.

Malzahn: "I think overall, we've done some good things in the passing game."

Malzahn on following Steve Spurrier's style, both offensively and fashion, including the visor. Before that "I used to wear a boring hat."

Malzahn on Steve Spurrier's golf game: "He's better than I am. I don't like that but he is."

Malzahn says Stanton Truitt had surgery & he'll be out for the year." Suffered a shoulder injury. Auburn will apply for a medical redshirt.

Malzahn on Spurrier: "He's one of the better coaches to ever come through the SEC."

@AUBlog

"The off week was very good for us. It came at a good time for us to heal up and get a good plan together."

@wareagleextra

Malzahn: "If we can get our linemen in the same spot, to stay healthy" it'll help in all aspects

@JamesCrepea

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on South Carolina: "They were ranked in the Top 10 preseason for a reason."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says it again on tailback Roc Thomas: "Roc will have a bigger role in the second half" of the season

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the passing game: "As the second of the season gets here, I think we can be more efficient."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Steve Spurrier: "Nothing but respect for how he operates. Great offensive mind. Super guy."

Gus Malzahn on freshman offensive lineman Braden Smith: "He'll definitely play more as the season goes on. He'll be a factor."

Jermaine Whitehead was with the scout team Sunday upon his return to Auburn

@AUGoldMine

Avery Young

Auburn's Avery Young on freshman offensive lineman Braden Smith: "That's not a kid, that's a man."

Auburn's Avery Young says he's a big-time fisherman. Caught alligator, too.

@AUGoldMine

Young says reeling in a big catch rivals the feeling of "the Kick-Six last year."

@wareagleextra

Josh Holsey

Ryan Black / WarEagleExtra (via YouTube)

Auburn's Josh Holsey on bouncing back from a loss: "We're going to come out with a vengeance."

Auburn DB Josh Holsey with a review: "Staying physical was the big part of the off week."

@AUGoldMine

Josh Holsey says "it was good" to see Jermaine Whitehead back at practice. He said Whitehead was a member of the scout team Sunday.

@wareagleextra

Josh Holsey on Jermaine Whitehead: "We all really missed Whitehead, his work ethic.

@bmarcello

Holsey: We're big on family here... You get a million "War Eagles!" everywhere you go on campus.

@mellissaykim

I suspect you're not going to get your wish. He's been working at TE in our off-set and goalline formations. Obviously, we won't have an answer until we see the team week-to-week, but my guess is he's going to log time in that role. Young, Danzey, and Slade will handle the Guard positions. Maybe I'm wrong though.

man if i had a dollar for every time he said roc will have a bigger role this season.....also i was one of the main ones pining for him to play and maybe start this season and now that i see it happening i am conflicted because now i feel bad for grant

Archived