Ben Carson says being gay is a choice

AUUSN

Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon and potential Republican presidential candidate, said Wednesday that “a lot of people who go into prison straight, and when they come out they’re gay.”

The remarks were made on CNN’s “New Day” in response to a question from host Chris Cuomo, who asked if Carson thought being gay was a “choice.”

Story Continued Below

“Absolutely,” Carson replied.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/ben-carson-gay-choice-prison-115744.html#ixzz3TSiAoBu6

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Republican primaries are going to be fun next year.

I won't deny a biological element to that. You don't have to act on those impulses. There is still so much about the human mind that we still don't know. We have learned that we can do things with our mind that would have been thought impossible even just 20 years ago. Even a that we've only scratched the surface of what there is to know about that.

ct...I agree. I used to go in the Smithsonians all the time when I was working in DC.. It was amazing to see the old medical and dental stuff used not so long ago. I used to say that 50 years from now what we will know about the brain will put today's knowledge in a museum.

Odd timing for this, as he's announcing his exploratory committee to run for Presidency.

I don't think it's a choice, btw.

Pretty dumb comment.

I tend to agree. While many share his sentiment, many don't. Seems risky to alienate anyone.

Legitimate question here because I don't know the answer. What % of the population is gay? And has/does that % stayed the same? The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside influences should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not know?

What % of the population is gay?

Surveys place it at 1-2%. To give you some perspective, that would mean it occurs about as often as red hair.

And has/does that % stayed the same?

How long do you think they've been doing these surveys? How were homosexuals treated in the past century? How many of them do you expect to answer honestly given what would happen if that sort of thing got out?

But one recent survey I saw did match up with a survey from 1994.

The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside influences should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not know?

Could you rephrase this, please? I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Legitimate question here because I don't know the answer. What % of the population is gay? And has/does that % stayed the same? The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside influences should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not know?

This isn't the case. Outside influences can change gene expression.

Placing genes and environment in separate buckets is an outdated model. Genes and environment interact, and it is impossible to say that any one behavior or personality trait is due to only genes or only environment.

What % of the population is gay?

Surveys place it at 1-2%. To give you some perspective, that would mean it occurs about as often as red hair.

And has/does that % stayed the same?

How long do you think they've been doing these surveys? How were homosexuals treated in the past century? How many of them do you expect to answer honestly given what would happen if

that sort of thing got out?

But one recent survey I saw did match up with a survey from 1994.

The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside

influences should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not know?

Could you rephrase this, please? I'm not really sure what you're asking.

You answered my question with the 1994 reference. Percent seems to be the same especially in the past 20 years.

Legitimate question here because I don't know the answer. What % of the population is gay?

And has/does that % stayed the same? The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside influences

should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not

know?

This isn't the case. Outside influences can

change gene exp<b></b>ression.

Placing genes and environment in separate buckets is an outdated model. Genes and

environment interact, and it is impossible to say that any one behavior or personality trait is due to only genes or only environment.

I certainly get how an environment can affect a gene, but my examples would be more

physically related such as food, sun, darkness etc. What type of environments would make this type gene change? Not an argument just would like to hear your thoughts. I am not versed in this at all.

Yeah, gay people choose this lifestyle because they like to be harassed and even beat up or worse yet, murdered for their lifestyle. Gay people choose to be gay so they can risk being fired from their jobs for no other reason than they're gay. Yep, Dr. Carson--you figured it out.

To be honest, I never understood this love affair that some Republicans have for him. I know he criticized Obamacare in front of The Chosen One himself, but how in the name of hell does that make him a legitimate contender for the Presidency of the United States?

Yeah, gay people choose this lifestyle because they like to be harassed and even beat up or worse yet, murdered for their lifestyle. Gay people choose to be gay so they can risk being fired from their jobs for no other reason than they're gay. Yep, Dr. Carson--you figured it out.

To be honest, I never understood this love affair that some Republicans have for him. I know he criticized Obamacare in front of The Chosen One himself, but how in the name of hell does that make him a legitimate contender for the Presidency of the United States?

He's educated (for some, that means a lot), he's an American born citizen, and he's beyond the minimum age requirement.

Legitimate question here because I don't know the answer. What % of the population is gay?

And has/does that % stayed the same? The thinking would be that if being gay is an inherent DNA/gene makeup, then outside influences

should have no impact on the % of the population that is gay and that % should not change very much. Is that the case? I do not

know?

change gene exp<b></b>ression.

Placing genes and environment in separate buckets is an outdated model. Genes and

environment interact, and it is impossible to say that any one behavior or personality trait is due to only genes or only environment.

I certainly get how an environment can affect a gene, but my examples would be more

physically related such as food, sun, darkness etc. What type of environments would make this type gene change? Not an argument just would like to hear your thoughts. I am not versed in this at all.

There is no single gene for being gay. If there is a generic component, it is likely a combination of many different genes. And all these different genes interact with the environment in different ways.

For example, it has been shown that thoughts can change gene expression. So two twins with identical genes, who have different thoughts, can result in their genes behaving in different ways at a fundamental level.

Genes, environment and their interactions are far too complicated to confirm or deny that genes cause homosexuality.

Last time I researched it was a few years ago and as I recall, conservative estimates were in the 2-3% range but with some estimates a good bit higher.

There's no way of knowing if that number has increased or decreased as the data just don't exist. There is plenty of evidence that homosexuality has alway been present in the human population to some degree, as it has in other species as well.

This isn't the case. Outside influences can change gene expression.

Placing genes and environment in separate buckets is an outdated model. Genes and environment interact, and it is impossible to say that any one behavior or personality trait is due to only genes or only environment.

See "epigenetics"

know?

change gene expression.

There are theories revolving around pre-natal hormonal conditions and even birth order, but nothing really solid. Don't ask for references, I am speaking from memory.

He's educated (for some, that means a lot), he's an American born citizen, and he's beyond the minimum age requirement.

He's religious and apparently has issues w/ evolution.

Bold prediction: he just locked up at least runner up in the Alabama GOP primary.

Nah. Santorum.

Bold prediction: he just locked up at least runner up in the Alabama GOP primary.

Nah. Santorum.

Who do you think I had winning? ;)

My money is on Huckabee.

Archived