2015 4* CB Jamel Dean (Ohio St Transfer)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some folks are thinking too hard about this. :)/>

Personally, after thinking long and hard about this, I believe he plays this season. Or he doesn't.

Big if true

I agree. For sure 50/50

Yep or nope.

Wasn't Meyer the one who encouraged Dan Mullen to get the ball rolling on the Cam Newton recruitment BS? Acting like a little punk because he would still be at UF if he had Cam at QB

That was speculation, not confirmed. Nor do I remember any hard evidence surfacing.

That is NOT speculation. Meyer and Mullen were 100% behind this. Fact know by Gus and many others.

With Holsey, Jones, Davis & Roberts the two deep at CB looks good for this year. But with two Sr's, next year is when we need some play makers.

Let Mr. Dean rehab the knee, chisel the body, and learn the scheem this year and be no doubt 100% for next.

With Holsey, Jones, Davis & Roberts the two deep at CB looks good for this year. But with two Sr's, next year is when we need some play makers.

Let Mr. Dean rehab the knee, chisel the body, and learn the scheem this year and be no doubt 100% for next.

Boom doesn't agree at the moment FWIW. You are right on the 1s. As for 2s, Davis is rehabing well but it is still too early to tell when he will be ready to go. On Roberts he has talent but has been very inconsistent per Boom. Also, it may mean nothing, but remember "Dirty Mike" Sherwood started over SR @ the Spring game. We have 4 CBs coming in 2 weeks. My bet is the 2s will be different this Fall than what they are now.

Boom doesn't agree at the moment FWIW. You are right on the 1s. As for 2s, Davis is rehabing well but it is still too early to tell when he will be ready to go. On Roberts he has talent but has been very inconsistent per Boom. Also, it may mean nothing, but remember "Dirty Mike" Sherwood started over SR @ the Spring game. We have 4 CBs coming in 2 weeks. My bet is the 2s will be different this Fall than what they are now.

E, your point is well taken. I guess I did not make my point as clear as I could have.

No need of freiting about or rushing Dean back in 2015.

Jones and Holsey are solid. If Davis' rehab goes as expected he will push for startings time, Roberts played as a true Freshman and has a world of upside, but yes he is on the second team for a reason.

Melton and Sherwood can give you meaningful snaps, just don't expose them all game. C. Davis, J. Davis, & Dinson are coming in and likely at least one or two will see the field this coming year.

Coach Boom has some good options, so Dean does not have to be one of them, let him be no doubt 100% because these are major knee issues. IMHO

When is this transfer supposed to take place?

In 10 days. The university can't axknowledge it til he's in class.

When is this transfer supposed to take place?

In 10 days. The university can't axknowledge it til he's in class.

Thanks E.

Hate to say I told you so but rumors are that this player will be eligible right away. tOSU and Coach Urban Meyer attempted to force this player to take a Medical Scholarship thus ending his playing football. Dr. Andrews provided proof that the player would indeed be healthy again thus forcing the NCAA to allow him to play at Auburn or wherever he chose this year.

Hate to say I told you so but rumors are that this player will be eligible right away. tOSU and Coach Urban Meyer attempted to force this player to take a Medical Scholarship thus ending his playing football. Dr. Andrews provided proof that the player would indeed be healthy again thus forcing the NCAA to allow him to play at Auburn or wherever he chose this year.

Given it is a rumor & not reported as fact to this point you can't say told you so yet. lol

IF and that's a big if given the NCAA has a new rrule saying there are no more waiver options for undergrad transfers to be immediately eligible, it could be there's a NLI void of contract option if a player is deemed medically unfit to play or practice @ school 1 he can play immediately at school 2 if cleared by Doc. That would be the only way if that exception even exists which we don't know yet..

every article ive read on this kid says the say same thing. he'll be able to play immediately. the only place ive read where he'd have to sit a year is on here. is there something the media knows that we don't? clearly all the guys writing articles cant be that dumb.

every article ive read on this kid says the say same thing. he'll be able to play immediately. the only place ive read where he'd have to sit a year is on here. is there something the media knows that we don't? clearly all the guys writing articles cant be that dumb.

Every article I've read said he can submit a waiver to be eligible immediately. There's a big difference in those 2 statements. It has nothing to do w/ them being dumb. I just don't think they follow NCAA rules on these things closely. What they are reporting would be true if it was before the KHari Harding case & the NCAA rule change stating no undergrads can use a waiver to be immediately eligible upon transfer. But the NCAA made that rule 3 months ago & are forcing Harding to sit out this year not alloi\wing his dying father watch him play. If what I said in my previous post is true about an NLI contract void due to not being cleared it wouldn't require a waiver if that exemption exists. There has been no reports yet of that exemption existing or not existing yet. If it turns out JD is eligible immediately then that exemption will indeed exist. Only time will tell.

There are people on this board that pay more attention to detail than many writers do. Is there some possibility of wiggle room or an unknown "escape clause" in Dean's case? Sure, but the rules as published say he sits a year.

I have seen no written article that states HOW he will be eligible, only statements that he can play immediately. Until someone names what exception will make him not come under the standing rule, my opinion is he sits.

This will be interesting to find out who's right or wrong on this one. I believe he will be eligible right away making the crooked NCAA go against their own rules, classic.

This will be interesting to find out who's right or wrong on this one. I believe he will be eligible right away making the crooked NCAA go against their own rules, classic.

At the moment, the staff doesn't FWIW.

Y'all know more about this than I. Simply posting what I have been reading.

According to 247Sports, Dean has been cleared by Birmimgham orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, and because he has not practiced, Dean could be granted an NCAA waiver which would make him eligible to play immediately. Dean was a four-star prospect coming out of high school.

http://www.abc3340.c...rring-to-auburn

Provided he remains healthy, Dean will be eligible to suit up immediately for the Tigers in 2015.

http://collegefootba...s-on-to-auburn/

Because of his unique circumstance, Auburn could sign a waiver and make him eligible immediately if they choose to do so.

http://www.todaysu.c...o-state-auburn/

According to 247Sports, Dean has been cleared by Birmimgham orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, and because he has not practiced, Dean could be granted an NCAA waiver which would make him eligible to play immediately. Dean was a four-star prospect coming out of high school.

Provided he remains healthy, Dean will be eligible to suit up immediately for the Tigers in 2015.

Because of his unique circumstance, Auburn could sign a waiver and make him eligible immediately if they choose to do so.

Likely will have no bearing for the NCAA to make him immediately eligible. FWIW AU does not thing he will be eligible.

It seems to me if one school says they absolutely won't let you suit up for medical reasons and another gets a second opinion that is different, it's not like the player has a choice if he wants to play. He can't stay where he was and play. It makes on sense to make him sit a year, given the rationale behind that general rule. That said, it's the NCAA.

Auburn sign a waiver? A waiver for what? We all love Auburn, but I don't see where AU signing anything will cause the NCAA to issue an exemption to a rule they just passed. I wish we were that powerful! :)

This whole situation brings up many issues, the Big 10 does not allow any team to ever have over 85 scholarships at any point and time, they expected a qb to move on and didn't as well as some surprise signings in areas of greater need. They had to make a move, because he was/is an early enrollee. So they flunk him medically, while the AU staff can have him be eligible, the reality of playing time is not a given, so it is easier to just wait a year and let him develop and acclimate to the system and not push things unless he requests to have the waiver....from my one little source, nowheres as good as others...

Quote: "unless he requests to have the waiver....from my one little source, nowheres as good as others... "

The thing is, as I understand the new ruling, there are no more waivers. Period. Your 'little source" may be correct for all I know. I'd just like for somebody to post a link stating how and when a waiver is still possible.

They wouldn't grant Harding a waiver to play at Tulsa this year so his dying father could see him play. I don't know under what circumstances a guy could get approval to skip his transfer year and play immediately. It won't be called a waiver, the NCAA made that clear.

Archived