2015 4* CB Jamel Dean (Ohio St Transfer)

For those wondering reports are JD is going on scholly immediately. That means he counts in the class that just signed & is about to enroll.

Will he be eligible to play in 2015?

Correct

wow! This is great news.

especially since he will be on campus immediately and Dr. James Andrews cleared him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just dive into this one, why didn't Ohio State want him? His medical problems obviously weren't that severe considering Dr. Andrews has already cleared him so Ohio State could have cleared him if they wanted to. Was there something else going on? Did he not like the coaches or something?

Hope NCAA gives him the waiver. We need secondary players badly.

Those reports on a waiver are wrong. The NCAA changed that rule a few months ago. Remember the Khari to Tulsa sitch? The only transfers eligible immediately are college grad transfers.

also...

@Keith247Sports 9m9 minutes ago

Former #Buckeyes EE says he's headed 2 #Auburn -- His former coach tells us Dr. James Andrews cleared him medically http://auburn.247spo...aded-to-Auburn-

So not eligible in 2015, right? Confusing thread

Dumb question not that it really affects anything other than bragging rights but does he get added to our 2015 Class and will it move us about in the rankings.

For those wondering reports are JD is going on scholly immediately. That means he counts in the class that just signed & is about to enroll.

Correct

wow! This is great news.

especially since he will be on campus immediately and Dr. James Andrews cleared him.

See reply #5. Despite reports he will not be eligible barring a secret rule change that happened the last 3 months.

Dumb question not that it really affects anything other than bragging rights but does he get added to our 2015 Class and will it move us about in the rankings.

Answered part 1 in reply #6. http://www.aufamily....r/#entry2258458

As for part 2, from 9th to 8th on the composite. Nothing on Rivals, Scout, & 247. Very possible on ESPN. They had him highest by far @ 128 overall 4* & we were right behind tOSU. There is no way to know though since ESPN does not give out their formula. Looking at the classes in front of AU though my guess would be from 7th to 4th or 5th. None of these sites will likely make the changes though.

Let's just dive into this one, why didn't Ohio State want him? His medical problems obviously weren't that severe considering Dr. Andrews has already cleared him so Ohio State could have cleared him if they wanted to. Was there something else going on? Did he not like the coaches or something?

Good question and the likely answer is YES....some other things going on.

Now if it were a concussion problem, that is different.... but knees or such.....just a matter of whether OSU thought the odds of recovery were not worth the cost of a scholarship for 4 years.....It's not like OSU or Urban never played a kid that had injury problems if the kid was willing play and the doctors did not absolutely say NO. JMO

Do we project him at corner or safety?

He's a corner so I'm assuming corner.

Correct

wow! This is great news.

See reply #5. Despite reports he will not be eligible barring a secret rule change that happened the last 3 months.

Wow. Thanks.

MODS: Please combine the thread in the Football forum with this one. Or lock the other and put a note to come here. A lot of redundant questions and more confusion.

Good question and the likely answer is YES....some other things going on.

Now if it were a concussion problem, that is different.... but knees or such.....just a matter of whether OSU thought the odds of recovery were not worth the cost of a scholarship for 4 years.....It's not like OSU or Urban never played a kid that had injury problems if the kid was willing play and the doctors did not absolutely say NO. JMO

If you remember back when this came out, OSU was near signing day and got a couple of more recruits than they expected. They were about 88 on scholly with the signing class. At the end of 2014 they put 5 guys on medical schollies. So they needed to clear some room and this was an easy out to say that this kid wasn't eligible to play per their team doctors...however, Dr Andrews had already cleared him that he would be ready to play this year if he kept up his rehab...IMO this is pure Cryer clearing room on his 85 roster limit...

Nick Saban wouldnt release Cory Grant,so he walked on at Auburn after being forced to sit a year.

corey would have had to sit even if Sabah had released him. He would have been on scholarship instead of paying for a year of tuition with the release.

Nick Saban wouldnt release Cory Grant,so he walked on at Auburn after being forced to sit a year.

corey would have had to sit even if Sabah had released him. He would have been on scholarship instead of paying for a year of tuition with the release.

A multimillionaire makes a kid pay for his education out of spite. Sums up Nick.

The release had NOTHING to do with Corey Grant sitting out a year. Absolutely NOTHING. He didn't walk on after being forced to sit out a year. He walked on and sat out that year (per NCAA RULES) and went on scholarship the next year and played.

The thing is, he was kept on scholarship at Ohio State. He still had an academic scholarship to pursue his education. And that's nothing to dismiss lightly. OSU is a very good university academically. So he wasn't being pushed out of the university. I am not a mindreader of NCAA decision makers, but I think the decision will be that he has to sit out a year. If so, he'll have another year to rehab and practice with the team. Either way, nothing is guaranteed. One thing for sure. He will at least have a shot to play for a coach with a track record of putting DBs in the NFL, if he can earn playing time. That's more than he'd get at OSU.

Rex I understand that he could just attend school but that is not what he wanted to do. IMO he was a casualty of their recruiting class success and they needed to clear some room. They didn't let him know until post signing day but they had the results when he first enrolled in Jan when he went through his physical.

Rex I understand that he could just attend school but that is not what he wanted to do. IMO he was a casualty of their recruiting class success and they needed to clear some room. They didn't let him know until post signing day but they had the results when he first enrolled in Jan when he went through his physical.

Yeah. He was already taking classes. Weird sitch.

It is a weird situation and if osu had doubts about his medical condition then they should have checked him out before he enrolled. If it is truly about his medical condition then fine, I can accept that but there were reports coming out around signing day that they would have to cut their numbers based on the projected class that they would sign and who & who wouldn't be going pro...especially when the kids own doctors were saying he was fine plus even with Dr Andrews saying that he would be fine. I guess that I am cynical when it comes to this kind of stuff and the timing stinks to high heaven on when they told the kid especially since they knew well before hand that they were not going to let him play but it wasn't announced until after signing day. They signed 4 CBs in the 2015 class. They have 4 SO and 1 FR on their spring roster (none of their signees were included) so a total of 9 CBs...Dean is listed on their spring roster as a DB

Because Urbz hates Auburn and is a sore loser. It wouldn't shock me if he blocked it

This is paranoia

This is fairly factual actually...

I tend to believe Dr Andrews. If WM wants the kid, that's good enough for me.

urban meyer- new school, same old scuzziness. Also, even if he can play this year, I really don't see him being much of a factor. If a true freshman who wasn't on campus for spring practice and is coming off a major injury is out there for anything but garbage time then we might be in trouble

It is a weird situation and if osu had doubts about his medical condition then they should have checked him out before he enrolled. If it is truly about his medical condition then fine, I can accept that but there were reports coming out around signing day that they would have to cut their numbers based on the projected class that they would sign and who & who wouldn't be going pro...especially when the kids own doctors were saying he was fine plus even with Dr Andrews saying that he would be fine. I guess that I am cynical when it comes to this kind of stuff and the timing stinks to high heaven on when they told the kid especially since they knew well before hand that they were not going to let him play but it wasn't announced until after signing day. They signed 4 CBs in the 2015 class. They have 4 SO and 1 FR on their spring roster (none of their signees were included) so a total of 9 CBs...Dean is listed on their spring roster as a DB

Yes I knew about all this but did not post it cuz I only knew it as rumor & we have no rumor policy so that's why I didn't say more than my 1 short sentence. I'll let a universal Mod decide if it needs to be zapped or not.

Archived