2015 4* CB Jamel Dean (Ohio St Transfer)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex I understand that he could just attend school but that is not what he wanted to do. IMO he was a casualty of their recruiting class success and they needed to clear some room. They didn't let him know until post signing day but they had the results when he first enrolled in Jan when he went through his physical.

Yeah. He was already taking classes. Weird sitch.

It is a weird situation and if osu had doubts about his medical condition then they should have checked him out before he enrolled. If it is truly about his medical condition then fine, I can accept that but there were reports coming out around signing day that they would have to cut their numbers based on the projected class that they would sign and who & who wouldn't be going pro...especially when the kids own doctors were saying he was fine plus even with Dr Andrews saying that he would be fine. I guess that I am cynical when it comes to this kind of stuff and the timing stinks to high heaven on when they told the kid especially since they knew well before hand that they were not going to let him play but it wasn't announced until after signing day. They signed 4 CBs in the 2015 class. They have 4 SO and 1 FR on their spring roster (none of their signees were included) so a total of 9 CBs...Dean is listed on their spring roster as a DB

Yes I knew about all this but did not post it cuz I only knew it as rumor & we have no rumor policy so that's why I didn't say more than my 1 short sentence. I'll let a universal Mod decide if it needs to be zapped or not.

I was using the numbers printed in this story http://www.cleveland...tion_on_ho.html I guess you could say that it is rumor that Dr Andrews cleared him but don't think that his HS coach would lie about that. Also there are other stories from that paper that talk about the timeline of knowing that he wouldn't qualify in Jan but they had him on their spring roster http://www.ohiostate...footbl-mtt.html so something doesn't add up.... but I welcome the young man to the plains! Hopefully it will also help our pipeline to recruiting in that area of florida...

Rex I understand that he could just attend school but that is not what he wanted to do. IMO he was a casualty of their recruiting class success and they needed to clear some room. They didn't let him know until post signing day but they had the results when he first enrolled in Jan when he went through his physical.

Yeah. He was already taking classes. Weird sitch.

It is a weird situation and if osu had doubts about his medical condition then they should have checked him out before he enrolled. If it is truly about his medical condition then fine, I can accept that but there were reports coming out around signing day that they would have to cut their numbers based on the projected class that they would sign and who & who wouldn't be going pro...especially when the kids own doctors were saying he was fine plus even with Dr Andrews saying that he would be fine. I guess that I am cynical when it comes to this kind of stuff and the timing stinks to high heaven on when they told the kid especially since they knew well before hand that they were not going to let him play but it wasn't announced until after signing day. They signed 4 CBs in the 2015 class. They have 4 SO and 1 FR on their spring roster (none of their signees were included) so a total of 9 CBs...Dean is listed on their spring roster as a DB

Yes I knew about all this but did not post it cuz I only knew it as rumor & we have no rumor policy so that's why I didn't say more than my 1 short sentence. I'll let a universal Mod decide if it needs to be zapped or not.

I was using the numbers printed in this story http://www.cleveland...tion_on_ho.html I guess you could say that it is rumor that Dr Andrews cleared him but don't think that his HS coach would lie about that. Also there are other stories from that paper that talk about the timeline of knowing that he wouldn't qualify in Jan but they had him on their spring roster http://www.ohiostate...footbl-mtt.html so something doesn't add up.... but I welcome the young man to the plains! Hopefully it will also help our pipeline to recruiting in that area of florida...

ah. The truth comes out. That might explain alittle of why we got the other corner that was committed as well to tOSU because Dean was already on board by signing day. I foresee a Mike Blakely situation Happening

Glad to have him though. That's two four star corners in our class

ah. The truth comes out. That might explain alittle of why we got the other corner that was committed as well to tOSU

It doesn't. We beat them straight up for Carlton. They wanted him.

I don't care to rummage through all the BS, but can someone explain all this consternation?

I will take every athlete we can get from S. FL. There are many kids from there ranked 3*'s that would be 4*'s if they lived somewhere less saturated with talent.

urban meyer- new school, same old scuzziness. Also, even if he can play this year, I really don't see him being much of a factor. If a true freshman who wasn't on campus for spring practice and is coming off a major injury is out there for anything but garbage time then we might be in trouble

He cannot play this year. He'll have to sit out his transfer year, thus 2016 is the soonest he can play at Auburn. There are no longer any waivers, a player cannot even apply for a waiver. Waivers don't exist anymore. Transfer and you sit a year.

Get a release and your new school can put you on scholarship immediately, don't get a release and you have to pay your own way for a year, but in no case do you play without sitting out your transfer year.

ah. The truth comes out. That might explain alittle of why we got the other corner that was committed as well to tOSU

It doesn't. We beat them straight up for Carlton. They wanted him.

good to know!

I am not a lawyer but their seems to be some shady dealings here with the way this recruit has been played by OSU and trapped by the NCAA which is charged with representing the student athlete. I would think some important papers could come across the desk of the NCAA that would force them to allow this recruit to play immediately.

1. He qualified.

2. He was an early entry.

3. He was healthy.

4. OSU attempted to use his "injury" to force this recruit to be basically a grey shirt after the fact.

5. OSU over signed the class an ee'd the recruit and attempted to circumvent the numbers game by using NCAA transfer rules as the hammer against th recruit

I am not a lawyer but their seems to be some shady dealings here with the way this recruit has been played by OSU and trapped by the NCAA which is charged with representing the student athlete. I would think some important papers could come across the desk of the NCAA that would force them to allow this recruit to play immediately.

1. He qualified.

3. He was healthy.

4. OSU attempted to use his "injury" to force this recruit to be basically a grey shirt after the fact.

5. OSU over signed the class an ee'd the recruit and attempted to circumvent the numbers game by using NCAA transfer rules as the hammer against th recruit

1 & 2 don't matter. Many kids have done those & transfered without ever playing at the original school but still had to sit a year. (See Mike Blakely transfer from Florida to AU Link).

Not an expert on this type of thing but this article is saying he may be cleared to play this fall? Any truth to this?

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/auburnauthority/2015/05/02/nick-marshall-signs-with-jacksonville-jaguars/26799433/

If granted a waiver by the NCAA and if healthy enough to play in the fall, Dean would add depth to a very thin Auburn secondary, where senior corner

1. He qualified.

3. He was healthy.

1 & 2 don't matter. Many kids have done those & transfered without ever playing at the original school but still had to sit a year. (See Mike Blakely transfer from Florida to AU Link).

I might also add...

6. Because of said injury the recruit never put on a OSU uniform for any meaningful practice.

And if you tried to compare MB to JD Florida never tried to say that MB was not healthy enough to play.

Here's another that says he will be ready to play immediately?

Provided he remains healthy, Dean will be eligible to suit up immediately for the Tigers in 2015.

http://collegefootba...s-on-to-auburn/

I tried to read both links, but couldn't get the Montgomery Advertiser story to come up. Here's what I think: I don't think those writers are following events as closely as some on this board follow them. As someone noted above, unless there has been a major rule change in the last 90 days that is being kept a secret, Dean will have to sit out a transfer year.

Dean was an early entry, thus he was on scholarship and attended class at OSU. He's a transfer.

1. He qualified.

3. He was healthy.

I might also add...

6. Because of said injury the recruit never put on a OSU uniform for any meaningful practice.

And if you tried to compare MB to JD Florida never tried to say that MB was not healthy enough to play.

It doesn't matter. The NCAA got rid of their waiver system completely a few months ago except for grad transfers. Again, See the KHari Harding sitch w/ Tulsa. Link As the article states, there is no more waiver system for undergraduates. What the NCAA may do if JD needs it is this

The new amendment stipulates that instead of immediate eligibility being an option, the NCAA could grant a one-year extension to the athlete’s five-year clock

Mike Blakely would be who you're thinking of then. Don't remember his story right off the bat tho

Yeah thanks Maverick. That is who it was. Here is an article on him. Looks like he has had a rough go of it. Interesting quote from article:

The 5-foot-9. 205-pounder left Auburn after the 2012 season and thought he was headed for USF.

He was banking on the NCAA granting him a hardship waiver because he was coming home to take care of his 1-year-old son Mike III.

Like most college athletes, Blakely was naïve to believe in the NCAA.

I know this a little off topic. I will stop with the Blakely story now.

i think you were referring to when he transferred to auburn

He left UF because of the coaching change but was forced to sit out a year

This CB is hoping to get a waiver from the ncaa based off he fact that OSU wouldn't let him play, I imagine

Here's another that says he will be ready to play immediately?

Provided he remains healthy, Dean will be eligible to suit up immediately for the Tigers in 2015.

http://collegefootba...s-on-to-auburn/

I tried to read both links, but couldn't get the Montgomery Advertiser story to come up. Here's what I think: I don't think those writers are following events as closely as some on this board follow them. As someone noted above, unless there has been a major rule change in the last 90 days that is being kept a secret, Dean will have to sit out a transfer year.

Dean was an early entry, thus he was on scholarship and attended class at OSU. He's a transfer.

Thanks Mikey!

I think some folks are thinking too hard about this. :)/>

Personally, after thinking long and hard about this, I believe he plays this season. Or he doesn't.

Big if true

I think some folks are thinking too hard about this. :)/>

Personally, after thinking long and hard about this, I believe he plays this season. Or he doesn't.

Big if true

I agree. For sure 50/50

Archived